Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if it is possible for ENTPs, especially in intimate realtionships, but with others as well, to be very warm and caring and giving-almost appearing F like?

·
Banned
156 Posts
I am wondering if it is possible for ENTPs, especially in intimate realtionships, but with others as well, to be very warm and caring and giving-almost appearing F like?
its more than possible in my case its probably odd if it didnt happen.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Absolutely.

I may not be all mushy or extremely emotionally involved, but that doesn't mean I don't care or can't consider the feelings of others.

You'll catch my F at its best in an intimate, committed relationship.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Certainly. Not all of us, but many of us can be very caring, as with any type. Almost all of the other ENTPs I know in real life are extremely nice people; my father, for example, is probably one of the most romantic guys ever, but he's most definitely still ENTP.

·
Registered
104 Posts
yes very much so. I've been told though that my emotions are hard to predict at first, its only after someone really gets to know me that they can read them. Well I was told that by my best friend (and INFp). I think we have that reputation because we express our feelings and commitment at that level to a VERY small number of people. I have only ever done so with my bestie :) and it took us 4 years (no joke) to get to this point.

BTW - I fully recognize that this might just be my experience, not necessarily my personality type :happy:

Reactions: calysco

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I've found the same to be true with me as well ^

I don't get attached to people very easily. My emotions are also not very easily influenced by others. I'm sure we've all seen people that cry because other people start crying...I'm not like that at all unless I'm attached to the person, and at this point, there's only one person thats on that level with me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm totally the type to cry when I see others crying. I have no real explanation for this, as I am an ENTP with a very high T. I also cried when I watched the following video on youtube:

So yes, ENTP's can be mushy.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I can be very warm and caring, it just seems...odd to me. It opens up a side of me, that makes me terrified. It opens up a side of me, that very few have ever seen.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm good at expressing concern, kindness, emotion towards people I feel next to nothing about quite easily. However, if I actualy become emotionaly attached to an individual (takes quite some time) it will take much more time and courage on my part to express such thoughts. But it is possible, though a lot of the time I don't feel very much towards people I care about. Such things will only express themselves sparodically, triggered by a memory, or some such things. But I do care...

·
Registered
108 Posts
My caring is usually expressed in physical things I can do for others.

For instance, I fixed my friends' car she crashed doing brodies. Many said she received the consequences but her being and ENFJ, I felt sorry for her ;P

I also bought her 5 dresses totaling $980 because I know she likes to look nice and she dresses up regularly for community work as well as her life is more difficult than my own.

Not limited to one person I buy my friends lunch, give free computer tech support, listen when they are down or need to talk about something, ect.

It might also be a factor of how you were raised, but as being an only child I am both giving and selfish.
Selfish being if I want something, I get it. Not given it but earning it.
It is as my ENTJ friend says "If you want the finer things in life you go out and get them."
Also The Smiths:

Coyness is nice, and
Coyness can stop you
From saying all the things in
Life you'd like to

Shyness is nice and
Shyness can stop you
From doing all the things in life
You'd like to

Not trying to toot my horn, and I agree completely 100% with lyoness

I'm good at expressing concern, kindness, emotion towards people I feel next to nothing about quite easily. However, if I actualy become emotionaly attached to an individual (takes quite some time) it will take much more time and courage on my part to express such thoughts. But it is possible, though a lot of the time I don't feel very much towards people I care about. Such things will only express themselves sparodically, triggered by a memory, or some such things. But I do care...
One of my best friends is an ENTJ and he is the epidomy of giving. He has given me suits, bought people food, lets me use any of his tools, ect. He needed a car to get to work so I gave him a second car that I had.

It is a cause and effect principle, you see a need and if it is in your power to fulfill you do so
girl alternates looking between your eyes and mouth = kiss her
girl repeatedly brushes up next to you = hold her hand / arm around waist
girl accepts you as an ENTP = marry her

For me, i get more of a "feeling" / connection from a good conversation then sexual/romantic escapades with a girl, but I also know that it is important to have physical displays of affection and therefore deliver what is asked (spoken or unspoken) of myself. I think it keeps the ladies on their toes when you are not always feeling them up and getting physical for the surprise factor alone, and conversely I like to be surprised which is what usually happens. It is not intentially holding back but like lyoness said, it is triggered by a memory or sudden urge ect. that just doesn't happen as often to ENTP's or Rationalists in general as other types I guess.
I think it is said that you appreciate something more the less you have it.
Something similar to the suspense is better then the outcome.

It may appear that I just like hearing myself talk even in text form but in actuality, I just want to cover the topic as completely as possible so that people may be able to obtain beneficial information and possibly new ideas and perceptions while having their question answered.

·
Banned
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for sharing your opinions. I am an intimate relationship and my boyfriend isnt really so interested in personality systems per se, so we dont bring it up too much, however, the ENTP description fits pretty well, (though there are a variety of ENTPs, as any other type.) especially after reading the posts. I was swinging between T and F, especially since he is people oriented and likes to volunteer and stuff, but he has a strong logical aspect and I see T with a very developed F side, since he had a hard upbringing. Even now though, he finds it hard to actually express his emotions too often and likes to keep things positive and superficial, except when discussing technical topics and thought systems. The thing that threw me off though is that when I asked had the myers briggs career book and asked him the 8 T vs. F questions, he answered pretty much all in F. That could have been influenced by the fact that he was more in feeling mode since I was there but I could be wrong..

I am curious though, he pays lots of attention to details and likes to nitpick and have things portrayed very accurately. Can that still be an N trait? The N comes out since hes very good at understanding others and the world around him, and synthesizing info, and he likes to see the big picture as well.

He also swings between E and I, but he considers himself very outgoing, friendly, says he is energized by being with people and likes to make people feel comfortable and secure. He can also spend a whole weekend alone though and be OK with that. But he likes attention-especially when he does a job well.

And last I was thinking P since he is pretty laid back and doesnt like to force opinions on people, unless they disagree with him. Then he will twist them around in a raging discussion. However I can see a possible J, in that he likes to work first, play later, is dutiful-does what is expected of him, and likes to make decisions.

Can he still be an ENTP? I like ENTPs..they are cool.:happy:

·
Registered
107 Posts
This question is better left for the NTJ's.
Yeah, /agree with all of the above. I've alternately been called the perfect potential husband or cold as ice. Once it occurs to me to please my partner (like say she's going through a bad time) I'll really throw myself into it. At other times, when I take things for granted, 0 effort. It's a problem no doubt.

·
Registered
108 Posts
He also swings between E and I, but he considers himself very outgoing, friendly, says he is energized by being with people and likes to make people feel comfortable and secure. He can also spend a whole weekend alone though and be OK with that. But he likes attention-especially when he does a job well.

And last I was thinking P since he is pretty laid back and doesnt like to force opinions on people, unless they disagree with him. Then he will twist them around in a raging discussion. However I can see a possible J, in that he likes to work first, play later, is dutiful-does what is expected of him, and likes to make decisions.

Can he still be an ENTP? I like ENTPs..they are cool.:happy:
I have heard it said and I believe read in some type descriptions that ENTP's are the least extroverted of the extroverts, so that might be the factor as to why he can be alone without issues. I am the same way, I love being with a group of people (smaller group of good friends preferably) but can also stay at home by myself for a week with no problems. I believe it is because I have so many plots and schemes I can formulate in my head that it entertains me for hours. Before Ipods, when I worked I would dream up a Star Wars universe as if I were in it down to nitty gritty technical details.

For the P / J thing, being a J doesn't mean forcing opinions per'se, any type can do that just depends on how much you believe yourself right and are unwilling to accept any other input no matter what evidence contradicts your own. Though you are right the scale usually tips to the J's (SJ's in perticular IMO, both parents are SJ's) because of their more presently focused, organized mind I believe. A big thing for me to tell if J/P is how they run themselves. P's tend to be more disorganized/messy even though we function well despite appearences. J's tend to have a certain order and structure to their lives, planning things on calenders and such. He sounds like a abovely-average structured P, maybe his parents raised him orderly-like? This is my spin on things so don't take it as fact, but usually ends up agreeing with MBTI typing tests.

+1 greycubed

cheers

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have heard it said and I believe read in some type descriptions that ENTP's are the least extroverted of the extroverts, so that might be the factor as to why he can be alone without issues. I am the same way, I love being with a group of people (smaller group of good friends preferably) but can also stay at home by myself for a week with no problems. I believe it is because I have so many plots and schemes I can formulate in my head that it entertains me for hours.
Yeah, my friends and I have questioned my E-ness, but every test I take no matter how critical I am comes back the same. I'm not shy at all, but usually the stories in my head are far more interesting than the current conversation and in some environments (like in school) you just can't have a very interesting conversation. When I worked in a restaurant I was super extroverted because it was an anything-goes environment (our manager would often flash the cooks for example) and there was always lots of conflict to play off of. Around colleagues in a professional environment, I probably seem very introverted because it's better to be myself in my head than fake in real life.

I agree that guy sounds like a responsible P.

+ 1 archangelic.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts