Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now, but especially when I was young, I had almost uncontrollable urges to touch things. The only way I feel like I can know something is to feel it's texture, how easily it bends, it's weight and so on. When I was/am in a store I find myself touching things as I walk past them. It drove my parents crazy.

Something that seems related is that I am always fiddling with something the way that some people do when they are nervous. It can be anything that is laying within arms reach. It is usually subconscious. I have random things sitting on my computer desk that I manipulate with my hands while reading or thinking about a solution to a problem at work. I will grab for these things without thinking and start manipulating them without realization. I've been known to accidentally break small objects before I even was aware that I had them in my hands. This drives my wife crazy. :tongue:

I have a hard time determining whether some behaviors are universal, because of particular cognitive functions or neither. Is this just a meaningless habit that I've picked up or does it have roots that can be explained by personality type?

·
The Doer King
13,680 Posts
Sounds like OCD me.

·
Banned
5,026 Posts
If anything, it might be related to Se - constantly seeking sensory data. I'm not sure how directly that can be connected to a function though, and it may well be stronger than in other people who have Se, with enough variation that it doesn't mean much. I dunno.

Reactions: 84R7

·
Registered
761 Posts
I'm kinda the same, except the breaking small objects part. I'm INTP not S, so it may or may not be related to functions.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
It's Se unless you do it to relieve anxiety. Then it's OCD.

Reactions: 84R7 and bobdaduck

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all around.

I've never done it to relieve anxiety. I've just always done it. I figured it was either Se or just an odd habit.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
If anything, it might be related to Se - constantly seeking sensory data. I'm not sure how directly that can be connected to a function though, and it may well be stronger than in other people who have Se, with enough variation that it doesn't mean much. I dunno.
Yes, but since it manifests itself in a "neurotic" way, not being a spontaneous proccess, it means the opposite: unconscious function. Or, in other words, dominant intuition (Ne or Ni).

Plus, I'm a dominant Ni with serious OCD tendencies and things like that happen to me. But my thing is smelling things or putting them in my mouth. I smell everything.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, but since it manifests itself in a "neurotic" way, not being a spontaneous proccess, it means the opposite: unconscious function. Or, in other words, dominant intuition (Ne or Ni).

Plus, I'm a dominant Ni with serious OCD tendencies and things like that happen to me. But my thing is smelling things or putting them in my mouth. I smell everything.
That is really interesting.

I don't fully understand what you mean, though. From what I understand about MBTI the unconscious functions are considered "shadow functions", right? I haven't been able to find much information on that. Also, I don't understand how experiencing sensory input in your physical environment could be related to an iNtuition function. It seems to me that it would have to be related to one of the two Sensory functions, if anything at all.

·
Banned
5,026 Posts
That is really interesting.

I don't fully understand what you mean, though. From what I understand about MBTI the unconscious functions are considered "shadow functions", right? I haven't been able to find much information on that. Also, I don't understand how experiencing sensory input in your physical environment could be related to an iNtuition function. It seems to me that it would have to be related to one of the two Sensory functions, if anything at all.
I think he meant it would still be a sensory function, but potentially a habit of intuitives (correct me if I am wrong).

INTJs, for instance, supposedly engage their Se when stressed - since it is fourth, often mindless sensate activities like excessive food and drinking and/or stupid physical risks. For me it is often more sensory overload - I become excessively aware of tags in clothing and seams and little bits of dust and things.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I may not have been clear about this in my previous posts, but I don't do these things because I am stressed. I just do them. I don't feel overly stressed if I don't do them either. I just do them without thinking about it.

·
The Doer King
13,680 Posts
A person with dominant or secondary Se wouldn't really be doing these sorts of things. At least not by norm. Se doesn't make us fiddle or touch things. It is an information processing system.

·
Banned
5,026 Posts
I may not have been clear about this in my previous posts, but I don't do these things because I am stressed. I just do them. I don't feel overly stressed if I don't do them either. I just do them without thinking about it.
Well, if you had Se higher in your function order, you wouldn't engage it only out of stress the way intuitives are more prone to do. So that could make sense, in theory, that you don't do it out of stress if you have Se higher.

Still, I doubt it is directly related to a function. It just seems the closest, as Se is seeking that sort of information - well, not just that sort of information, but different from the kind of info Ne looks for, for instance. But it is a bit of a stretch. A lot of people fiddle and fidget for different reasons.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A person with dominant or secondary Se wouldn't really be doing these sorts of things. At least not by norm. Se doesn't make us fiddle or touch things. It is an information processing system.
Are you saying that this behavior means that Se is definately not my primary or auxiliary function? Or, like lirulin, are you just saying that it doesn't indicate one way or the other?

·
The Doer King
13,680 Posts
More like irulin. None of your issues have anything to do with being a sensor.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I considered Se also, but not in the dominant or auxiliary position. I believe it is a glitch in the way you process sensory information and that it is not exactly function-related. Most people prefer to use some senses (visual, auditory or tactile/kinetic) over others. Your preference for tactile stimulation is so strong that you have difficulty integrating information from your other senses without it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I considered Se also, but not in the dominant or auxiliary position. I believe it is a glitch in the way you process sensory information and that it is not exactly function-related. Most people prefer to use some senses (visual, auditory or tactile/kinetic) over others. Your preference for tactile stimulation is so strong that you have difficulty integrating information from your other senses without it.
That is a really cool theory. I'll have to ponder it.

I like your avatar BTW. Would you say that is more of a fox, dog or wolf. I'd say fox because of the size of the ears.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts