Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Dont think it is any....introverts who use Si or Ni also know how to make people tick, because there are so many different ways to do so

·
QUEEN PEEN
9,303 Posts
It could be either in my opinion. I think intuition is more likely to pick up on subtle, hidden meanings. Sensors can pick up on what makes someone tick, too, especially if the person they're observing makes those things obvious. Intuitives are likely to pick up on those types of patterns rather quickly. Sensors can pick up on them as well... it just might take a little longer for them to figure those things out. I'm guessing that the speed at which a sensor figures those things out really depends on how well the sensor's intuition has developed (Se+Ni or Si+Ne). If this makes no sense, forgive me. I'm running on very little sleep, and I'm kinda just talking out of my ass right now.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah that's true I guess. But I'd think Se/Ne would know "faster" and be more accurate about it. I'm asking because I'm not sure whether I'm Se or Ne. I normally hang out with my best friend (ISTJ), an ISFJ girl, and my ESFJ girlfriend. I'm the only perceiver there.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It could be either in my opinion. I think intuition is more likely to pick up on subtle, hidden meanings. Sensors can pick up on what makes someone tick, too, especially if the person they're observing makes those things obvious. Intuitives are likely to pick up on those types of patterns rather quickly. Sensors can pick up on them as well... it just might take a little longer for them to figure those things out. It really depends on how well the sensor's intuition has developed. If this makes no sense, forgive me. I'm running on very little sleep, and I'm kinda just talking out of my ass right now.
I think your ass is pretty knowledgeable. I'm beginning to think I'm an Ne user, but I still pick up visual cues as well...

·
QUEEN PEEN
9,303 Posts
I think your ass is pretty knowledgeable. I'm beginning to think I'm an Ne user, but I still pick up visual cues as well...
I'll send you an article I wrote differentiating the two... it might be a couple of days though before I get to the computer on which that article is stored.

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
Well anytime you are perceiving something that isn't obvious or right in front of you that's generally intuition. That being said Se-doms can actually be quite insightful about people, but much of this is based on their great perceptions of things like body language, tone of voice, etc., mixed in with some intuition, but Intuition in Se-doms is a mixed bag. They might often misinterpret motivations of people or read too much into the details of an event rather than it's subtext.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Ne-Fe might correlate, although generally, this isn't type-related - there are too many variables (e.g. how well you know the person, etc.)

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Could be either, might even be neither (F types, whether also extraverted perceiving or not, are often reportedly in tune with that kind of stuff as well). Could you describe your process (or lack of) more?

Reactions: counterintuitive

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well anytime you are perceiving something that isn't obvious or right in front of you that's generally intuition. That being said Se-doms can actually be quite insightful about people, but much of this is based on their great perceptions of things like body language, tone of voice, etc., mixed in with some intuition, but Intuition in Se-doms is a mixed bag. They might often misinterpret motivations of people or read too much into the details of an event rather than it's subtext.
I can relate to this since i consider myself to be pretty damn good linguist in body language. But would you agree that Ne can notice those kinds of stuff, as wel?

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Could be either, might even be neither (F types, whether also extraverted perceiving or not, are often reportedly in tune with that kind of stuff as well). Could you describe your process (or lack of) more?
What do you mean?

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
What do you mean?
How do you know what makes others tick? If it's unexplainable, could you hypothesize on it?

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
We have to avoid saying that only Se types or only Ne types can pick up on this stuff. That would be silly. Intuition is basically having a instinct or a gut-feeling about something without having any physical data to back up that notion. So certainly you could read a person's motivations this way, it would just depend on how strong your intuitions were if your conclusions were right. Sensation looks at things as they are, but if you observed enough stuff, you notice patterns and come to similar conclusions. In reality, like others have said its probably a combination of a lot of functions (because we can't leave out Thinking and Feeling here either).

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How do you know what makes others tick? If it's unexplainable, could you hypothesize on it?
Body language, tone of voice, their emotions, their reactions to what I say -- I judge these based on the current surrounding/atmosphere. And also what they say, and how they say it, and their expressions.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We have to avoid saying that only Se types or only Ne types can pick up on this stuff. That would be silly. Intuition is basically having a instinct or a gut-feeling about something without having any physical data to back up that notion. So certainly you could read a person's motivations this way, it would just depend on how strong your intuitions were if your conclusions were right. Sensation looks at things as they are, but if you observed enough stuff, you notice patterns and come to similar conclusions. In reality, like others have said its probably a combination of a lot of functions (because we can't leave out Thinking and Feeling here either).
Yeah you're right. But since I know for sure I'm not Ni/Si, I had to limit the options to only Ne/Se

·
Banned
1,857 Posts
Body language, tone of voice, their emotions, their reactions to what I say -- I judge these based on the current surrounding/atmosphere. And also what they say, and how they say it, and their expressions.
They can look very similar, so here's an example of a specific type of situation...

When you're trying to persuade someone for some specific goal:

Se - Better at keeping track of willingness of person you're persuading. Looks at next step; doesn't necessarily aggregate everything that was said during the conversation, it just wants to get it done... and now!
At-a-glance: Tactical

Ne - Better at figuring out their intentions/directions and steering those into the direction you wanna go (sort of like laying out a path that the person's train of thought is just going to have to happen to follow -- but not really lol). Looks at how each step taken so far should flow into the next step (which is aimed at creating opportunities to move toward final goal).
At-a-glance: Strategic

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They can look very similar, so here's an exmaple of a specific type of situation...

When you're trying to persuade someone for some specific goal:

Se - Better at keeping track of willingness of person you're persuading. Looks at next step; doesn't necessarily aggregate everything that was said during the conversation, it just wants to get it done... and now!
At-a-glance: Tactical

Ne - Better at figuring out their intentions/directions and steering those into the direction you wanna go (sort of like laying out a path that the person's train of thought is just going to have to happen to follow -- but not really lol). Looks at how each step taken so far should flow into the next step (which is aimed at creating opportunities to move toward final goal).
At-a-glance: Strategic
Very enlightening post, think I'm an Ne user now. Everything you said about the Ne is true.

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
Well you can't really compare to Ne to Se because they are doing two different things. Its like comparing hand to foot. Intuition is specifically not looking at the world as it is where Sensation only pays attention to the actual world via the five senses. That's why we call Intuition the sixth sense, its a way of perception that isn't tangible. So you can't really compare Intuition to Sensation in this way because they're doing two different things. It not really one or the other like Ne over Se. But rather Se over Si or Ne over Ni. Just like you can't compare the purpose of your hand to that of your foot. They do two different things.

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
Could be Fe-Ni-Se as well. I usually know how to make someone "tick" in a variety of ways --- can be quite adapt at getting the responses I want. The way I do it is ... I just know what it would take to act like a chameleon in social situations - and when one is acting like a chameleon ... one is basically being able to do so based on taking in what's happening around and adjusting behaviour in order to please everyone else.

A great example of this is job interviews ... Using a combination of Fe-Ni-Se, an ENFJ can anticipate a great deal of questions that will come or which question leads to the next .. and then it's a simple matter of anticipating what questions are going to be asked, and then interpreting based on what the ENFJ can quickly gather about the person in front of him and designing his responses in such a way that he knows would endear him most to the person sitting in front of him. I do it all the time.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts