Personality Cafe banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
MOTM Feb 2012
ISTJ 9w1
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a coworker who is extremely interested in the lives of others. She's been at the company for less time than I, but she's already learned so much about everyone! She's kind of a gossip, but moreso just constantly seeking and taking in information about everyone. I think she's possibly ESFJ, definitely Type 7 Social. So what is causing this, Social instinct or Fe? Because I don't use either, so I have no idea!

Another reason why I think it may be Fe is because I remember during college, my mom came to visit and she wanted to know about everyone I lived with. I hardly knew anything and she was shocked that I hadn't asked certain things. She's ISFJ 6w7 sp/so. (Secondary Fe and so.)

What do you think? Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

·
Registered
696 Posts
@MBTI Enthusiast
What could one possibly teach the master?

What I think might be useful is to write out a list of all the reasons that you think she uses one or the other or both or neither. That in itself might help you decide, and if not I'm sure we can help narrow it down. Well hopefully.

With the current information I'd say Fe is a good possibility. Sounds like my grandmother ESFJ. Same thing about having to know everything about everyone.

Well I hope I didn't waste your time.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Hi all,

Another reason why I think it may be Fe is because I remember during college, my mom came to visit and she wanted to know about everyone I lived with. I hardly knew anything and she was shocked that I hadn't asked certain things.

Haha, sounds like my ESFJ mom.

Anyways, I think it can be hard to tell the difference between the social instinct and Fe, especially in the dominant position. Who knows, though, maybe your coworker is both Fe and social instinct?

Reactions: MBTI Enthusiast

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Sp/so here.

I do want to know the people that people around me know, but only to those very close to me. I feel that, since I'm very interested in the social environment, I want to know the social environments of these people around me. Acquaintances or not-so-close friends' circles, on the other hand, aren't quite interesting to me.

I feel that, if the close people around me have good social circles, then they are good to go.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
So/sp would be my instincts, INFJ being my type, and a 5w4 for my core type.

I have a coworker who is extremely interested in the lives of others. She's been at the company for less time than I, but she's already learned so much about everyone! She's kind of a gossip, but moreso just constantly seeking and taking in information about everyone. I think she's possibly ESFJ, definitely Type 7 Social. So what is causing this, Social instinct or Fe? Because I don't use either, so I have no idea!

Another reason why I think it may be Fe is because I remember during college, my mom came to visit and she wanted to know about everyone I lived with. I hardly knew anything and she was shocked that I hadn't asked certain things. She's ISFJ 6w7 sp/so. (Secondary Fe and so.)

While I can pull information from people, my Social instinct is more that I tend to stay within group settings and prefer that over 1:1 or time alone to some degree. That I want multiple people around which may or may not be useful for learning more about people. My Fe is more about noticing what others are feeling and having that impact me in various ways.

I'd lean a bit more on the Fe being responsible though both may well contribute to things here.

·
MOTM Nov 2012
3,867 Posts
As a So dom ENTP I do not do that at all. I've been working where I am for about 18 months and I still fail at matching names with faces, everyone I work with has an intranet profile with a picture attached to their name, still fail.

This is something I've noticed FJs in general are very good at, they notice other people and remember things that show they are paying attention.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Is there a type that tends to have the gift of the gab? I guess you've already answered that with Fe, so I'm inclined to either go with Fe or just a social manipulator.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Is there a type that tends to have the gift of the gab? I guess you've already answered that with Fe, so I'm inclined to either go with Fe or just a social manipulator.
3's and 7's, i'd imagine. 7's more than 3's.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
Hi all,

Could be Fe. I'm supposedly So/Sx and I don't really care about or want to get to know most people, I don't particularly like or agree with overall external values (which is why I love challenging these and breaking the mold when I get the chance) I'm not even helpful in a sense that I am not particularly driven to help others or to foster any "community" - like things.

I'd go as far as saying that I am socially introverted and not particularly interested / lack initiative in this area despite being non HSP cognitive extrovert who gets energy from external stimulation.

I would under no circumstance use SOCIAL as in how social is understood in common terms to describe me ^^.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
-.- wtf double post

<.<....>.>...*eats ramen *sip sip

1 - 10 of 10 Posts