Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
16,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I am very ignorant of the intricacies of these personality categories. Was skeptical of them, and still am a little. Someone on here pegged me as an INFJ recently, and after taking a few tests. She was right. But does this mean the system is right, or that she just knows the system? For clearly she knows what the system would classify me, but that doesn't make that classification correct.

One of the things that interests me is that I was a feeler and not a thinker. This distinction interests me because I've thought about the relationship between thought and feeling before, and I think it is pretty blurry. First of all, "feeling" is omnipresent. A person cannot just turn his emotions on and off like a switch. Our prejudices and emotions influence our decision making even if we are unaware of it. And when it comes down to it, feeling is really what tells us what is wrong. And what is wrong and what is right is really the cause of action. If we witness a rape or other horrific crime, it is the intense sensory impression that tells us this is wrong. We feel it is wrong. We don't deduce it through logical thought. And we can't rely on pure logic anyway, because there are things that are logical but also cruel.

But even assuming there is a clear distinction between thinking and feeling, I don't like the dichotomy because what appears to be feeling is actually a product of long thought and study. This forum refers to INFJ's as "protectors", and I never really thought of myself as that, but I guess I kind of am. And I do want to spare, and take into account other people's opinions and feelings when making a decision. I absolutely want to do that. But I do that because I think a harmonious society is a more efficient one. I want an efficient society, and I think harmony and compromising with different people is the way to do that. It's totally logical. It take other people's feelings into account, but I do it based on logic, not feeling. I have thought it out. I didn't use to be this way. I was a hardcore ideologue in a "you are either with me or against me" way. But I matured and realized that social order is very important. I am a pragmatist. Now, you can say that my opinion that harmonious society is a better society is wrong, and that is fine. But you can't say that I didn't arrive at it through thought and logic. I was actually more feeling based when I was an ideologue and didn't care for other's feelings. I think basing your opinions on feelings can actually make you disregard the feelings of others.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Having an F preference doesn't mean you don't use logic in your decision-making, and that's arguably more true of INFJs than any of the other F's. See this post.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Being a feeler does not mean you are not logical; being a thinker does not mean you do not have feelings.

The difference is that you prefer to consider others and values first, logic second. Even in your last paragraph it sounds like you are using logic bent towards "Feeling's" will.

Here is something I wrote in a similar topic:

When I participated in an MBTI seminar at work, they explained that, essentially, the Feeler prefers to consider people/harmony first, then logic and vice versa for the Thinker.

For example, at work I might consider the best strategy to achieve a goal regardless of people's feelings and such, then adjust as I factor in social harmony. A feeler might want to achieve a goal that is in the best interest of the people, then adjust for what is more strategic/logical.

Likewise for Sensors, they prefer the details and build up to the big picture; intuitives prefer the big picture then break it down into the details.

·
Registered
439 Posts
The functions are a matter of if they are extroverted or introverted, and what priority they take in your thinking and decision making processes. It is about dichotomies, but at the same time it isn't.

I identify with a lot of your post in my past experiences, btw. Like being an intense ideologue at random times. I feel more Intp-ish these days in a way, more apathetic and focusing on tertiary.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts