Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not know how well I can explain why am asking those questions. But I'll get straight to the point:

1. Do people disappoint you? When? Why? (what do you expect of them?)
2. Do you want to make a change in this world? Why?
3. How do you define happiness? Is it reachable? How?
4. Is it possible for you to explain yourself to anyone else? Why?
5. What helps you remember things?
6. How does your imagination affect or help you? When do you use it and for what purpose?
7. What do you trust more: your memory or your order? (Like when you don't recall if you have packed something, but you know it's on your list - would you assume that it's packed or not?)
8. How can you know that you are doing the right thing to foster your goal? How far will you go to be sure, will you take a risk?
9. Does stress help you to do things? Motivates you?
10. Do you get angry sometimes? Why? How well do you control yourself during anger?
11. How do you get motivated to do things? (Both things you want to do, and things you do not want to do)
12. How would you describe an absolute good world? Boring, or still interesting? Why is it better?
13. What stimulates your emotions? (when you want them to)
14. Do people aware of your weirdness? Are you weird at all? How do you reply people who tell you to be normal? When explaining yourself, do folks believe what they hear? why?
15. What is easier for you to do: making new friendships, or talk to people who already "know" you? Why?
16. What makes you care about things? Why? And how easy is it for you to let go?

Thank you all for answering. If a question needs to be clarified, do not answer it. Please answer only those you understand or think you do, according to your understanding.

·
Registered
167 Posts
1) Always.
i) Because I expect them to be loyal and understanding beyond reason (i.e. I expect them to put me first in certain situations).
2)No, not in the world in general, just in my own circle.
i) Because I am not powerful enough to change the entire world. Although that sounds defeatist, I'm just being realistic here, for you optimistic people out there..
3) I suppose for me, happiness is a feeling of contentment in any current situation.
i) Yes, but only for short stints. Happiness is not a natural state, which is why it is treasured.
4)Not in my entirety, obviously. But I believe 'weird' is apt enough.
i) Because any human can not be explained or 'pigeon-holed' into a single sentence.
5) Smells, sounds, dreams. Or doing mundane things and letting my mind wander, like the dishes for example.
6) Mostly it's used as a stress relief.
7) Always my memory. If it's crossed off my list but I don't remember, I will re-check.
8) I don't. I just follow what my ethics, values and logic dictate at any given time.
i) I will take risk, but only relatively negligible.
9) Yes, I've thought many a-time that one of the reasons I procrastinate so much is because of stress. Although I don't like stress and I hate that I procrastinate, I seem to do well in those environments... Usually..
10) I get angry quite easily, I think anyway.
i) It varies.. But I cannot stand being called any form of 'stupid', it's somewhat of a trigger word for me.
ii) Unless it's calling me names, I deal with it quite well. Boxing helps :)
11) Music and envisioning doing it and it going well.
12) No such thing. Humans will always have conflict as long as we are free to think/feel what we like.
13) Music or people pressing my buttons too much.
14) Yes, I'm fairly certain I come off as being a weird person.
i) Yes.
ii)I tell them to f*ck off (I am unsure of whether I am breaching T&C's here.. just trying to be truthful)
iii) I'm unsure to be honest.
15) Of course talking to people I already know.
i) Because I don't have to go on a spiel of my thought pattern to get them to understand (usually).
16)Various different things.
i) Because humans are complex?
ii) Pretty easy.

This was a lot to unpack, I am unsure if I answered it to your satisfaction. Hopefully yes.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
People disappoint me when they have a responsibility they don't live up to that affects me/others. I still get disappointed by things like lack of foresight/irrationality/laziness etc but since I learned about personality theory I'm getting better at letting that go/reducing my expectations. It's better to be pleasantly surprised by someone occasionally than constantly disappointed. I also like the individuation aspect -- they take care of their business as they see fit, I'll take care of mine.

Yes, I would like to make positive changes. Bc, what else am I going to do? :) And I'm wired to improve things with systems and also to 'give back'. Also I'm very inquisitive by nature so following a branch of science to the known edge and peering beyond and wondering 'what if' is my idea of a good time.

Positive, up-lifted, content feeling. Of course it's reachable (for most). Make a decision to be happy.

Sure. People who 'get me' understand easily.

With easy to forget things, going over them a few times.

6. How does your imagination affect or help you? When do you use it and for what purpose?
I use my imagination in very practical ways for the most part: imagining solutions/brainstorming visually or similar. The only time I give it free reign is when I let my instinctual variant play with it before falling asleep.

7. What do you trust more: your memory or your order? (Like when you don't recall if you have packed something, but you know it's on your list - would you assume that it's packed or not?)
It's more my intuition that I trust. If my intuition is telling me I forget something, I'd believe that above my list or memory since my experience has taught me my intuition is never wrong in that way. To answer your example though; I'd trust my memory and assume it's not packed, in part bc it's better to be safe and double check.

8. How can you know that you are doing the right thing to foster your goal? How far will you go to be sure, will you take a risk?
Forward movement is all I require in that regard. Every now and then I'll take the time to think about things (check my goal, my path, my efficiency etc) but for day to day, week to week, simple advancement is good. I take calculated risks all the time. I feel very strongly that taking calculated risks is healthy.

A little bit of stress can be helpful (having a plan with deadlines) but I'm not into stress as a form of motivation -- too much is really uncomfortable and I don't do my best thinking/working in those conditions. I'm internally motivated naturally so I don't need an outside push. I also like to feel like I'm in control with my work.

10. Do you get angry sometimes? Why? How well do you control yourself during anger?
I'm a 'head type' not a 'body/gut type' in enneagram so I rarely feel anger. And when I do it's very short-lived. I control myself well for the most part (one time I blew up on a vet assistant who was recklessly hurting my sick pet -- only time I've ever lost it and just yelled at someone in my life). It tends to be people behaving clearly recklessly or in an obviously hurtful way that makes me angry. I assume I'm designed that way so the anger moves me to act and then dissipates immediately.

11. How do you get motivated to do things? (Both things you want to do, and things you do not want to do)
It's not about motivation for me. It's more that I want to do them, am naturally a driven person with an internal locus of control and I have some self-discipline too to get me through the boring stuff. I'm more 'is this important/does this need to get done?' -- okay then, rather than looking for some way to motivate myself. I did choose my career in line with my values though which helps.

Fwiw I find self-discipline to be like a muscle, you do things you don't want to do regularly enough, it doesn't feel like a big deal. I also focus on change rather than outcome generally -- I monitor my work to make sure I'm doing more stuff I don't like over time (as terrible as that sounds). Basically come at it as an athlete looking for small improvements rather than someone who suddenly changes their entire diet and hopes for the best (if that makes sense).

12. How would you describe an absolute good world? Boring, or still interesting? Why is it better?
Good is good. Not boring, I like order, it's a much easier base to build on. And presumably resources could be used for more productive purposes in ideal conditions.

The ideal man. Sunset. Good music. And a great many other things.

14. Do people aware of your weirdness? Are you weird at all? How do you reply people who tell you to be normal? When explaining yourself, do folks believe what they hear? why?
Yes, people notice I'm weird in all the usual INTJ ways (except I'm not socially awkward). I'd laugh if someone told me to be normal. I find that people want to file you mentally in a way that they already classify people -- so, for this reason, they can struggle to accept something new/different and try to fit you in some other way. So what I say about myself isn't always accepted -- you see it here even with the 'not a real INTJ' talk and the lack of willingness to accept differences (rather than expand their knowledge set). I'm starting to wonder whether social instinct types are wired to play whack-a-mole with anyone who doesn't conform to maximize group cohesion -- in other words, they have a vested interest in 'not allowing' the unfamiliar/seeing different as 'wrong'.

15. What is easier for you to do: making new friendships, or talk to people who already "know" you? Why?
I find it easy to make new friends (assuming there is some compatibility there) but I'd prefer to strengthen/deepen my satisfying relationships I already have. It's my nature to go deep rather than wide.

16. What makes you care about things? Why? And how easy is it for you to let go?
I expect it's in part my values, part sensibility, part choice. I personally let go of things very easily, it's a hallmark of my personality. However I'm extremely loyal to those I've built deep relationships with -- those reciprocal bonds I don't let go of easily, at all.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I do not know how well I can explain why am asking those questions.
And I don't know why I'm answering them. Probably because, like most people, I like talking about myself.

Not really. My expectations are pretty low to start with. That sounds cynical, but then sometimes people pleasantly surprise me. That's way better then being disappointed.

I feel that each person should try to make the world better in some way. That belief is at the core of my moral system and religious faith.

I can't define it. It is a feeling of hope, optimism, openness. Certainly it is reachable. I am often happy. Just don't try to be happy all of the time. That is not the way people work.

I can describe why I am doing or thinking something. I explain my reasoning and motivations. If you mean to describe everything about me, my essence, no. I don't think that is possible. First, because what I am is ill-defined, second, because it would take too long.

Context, associations. Mental images.

Imagination affects everyone. Yes, it helps me, and I use it all the time. Constantly. I don't know who I would be without it.

If I have checked it off of the list, I would trust that. I rely heavily on to do lists and check lists. I don't like having to carry annoying details in my head. I don't trust my memory and without a check list, will start obsessively double and triple checking.

It completely depends on the context. Not answerable without that.

It is not a motivator. More a consequence of needing to do something and not having it done. It often gets in the way of getting things done. I am more productive and effective when not stressed.

Of course. I control myself well enough so that if I don't want you to know that I am angry, you won't notice.

Remind myself of the end goal and why it matters to me. Then make a plan, make a schedule. Start at step one and go.

Cannot do it. If it has life in it, absolute good is unobtainable. Life needs change, and change means that pain, disruption, and death are a part of existence.

A good book or movie will do it.

Sure, I'm kind of weird. I blend in well enough so that people who don't know me aren't aware of it. If people tell me to be normal, I just laugh and tell them that this is normal for me. If they pester me about it, I ignore them and avoid them in the future.

Talking to people who already know me. I find it difficult to make new friendships.

I care a lot about preventing harm or destruction. It is not easy for me to let that go. I care about doing things effectively. I dislike watching things done in an inefficient way. If I can't fix it, I will try to ignore it, but it will always bother me. I care about keeping my promises. I don't let that go easily.

Thank you all for answering. If a question needs to be clarified, do not answer it. Please answer only those you understand or think you do, according to your understanding.

You are welcome. You posed some interesting questions.

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
Not really. I don't expect much from them.

Not especially. World's pretty big, don't you know?

Dopiminergic circuits.

Well, I try, but I'd have no way to know if I've succeeded.

Practice, constant practice, even while sleeping. Many kinds of practice. I make no distinction between things I want to know and whatever else I have to deal with in life. The good stuff gets high priority, and the rest gets bare minimum of attention.

Amateurs practice so they get it right. Real people practice so they can't possibly get it wrong. I aim for the latter.

Not consciously. It's just part of my mental repertoire -- I've used it my whole life, and I'm just used to it. It's sometimes my "dark passenger," but usually it's just who I am, and what I do.

I never trust my own memory. I make a list and I check it twice. Sometimes more. I don't like to make mistakes about simple things, so since it costs me nothing to give a sanity check, I do it.

I don't know if what I do is right, I just trust that I've thought it through, and rely on my decision, and carry it through, for ill or good.

No. Stress upsets me very much. I do what I can to be organized in such a way that not only am I unlikely to be surprised, I'm also well-prepared for any likely surprises that might come up.

Yeah, I do occasionally, but it's vanishingly rare that I'd let anyone else see it. How do I control it? Well, I don't know if I can, I usually just retreat into my interiority and let it pass, as best as I can.

That's my worst shame, but I think I've learned how to minimize the toxic effects as best I can.

Plan. Plan in multiple fashions. Use examples of others. Study metalearning. I don't know, I just try, and I'm OK with failing, and I watch and learn, as much as I can.

I don't know. No opinion.

Beauty. Excellence.

I believe I am part of the mainstream of Western culture, and I'm aware that, in contemporary US culture, most people are not. Basically, I'm right, and if other people choose to be wrong, well, that's fine with me, so long as they don't perturb my perceptual field.

Both. I enjoy talking with (reasonably non-threatening) strangers, when appropriate -- I like to hear different styles of conversation, it feeds my inner ear. People who already know me, I feel often there isn't much point to just shooting the bull, but conversations can be mutually beneficial. If someone close to me needs advice or help, I will move heaven and hell to try to help, but I don't often ask that of them.

I don't let go, generally, of anything. If it's in my brain somewhere, then I put it there, usually for some reason. So it's going to stay there.

I care about things that are right. To hell with ego, to hell even with others' feelings, while doing my best to not let my sometimes filthy vocabulary pollute the feelings of others, friends or not. I care if it's right.

·
Registered
ENTJ; 8w7; Persian C
9,448 Posts
1. Do people disappoint you?
Sometimes.

In (the beginning) stages of "getting to know," some types of strangers.

Why? (what do you expect of them?)
Consistency.

I think "causing (useful) changes within the world," is more appropriate. So long as I have the intellectual / physical / drive to cause useful changes in the world (that causes affects); it makes no (sense) to frustrate / not-contribute. [For myself, anyhow]. My goal is to protect, reduce suffering of other agent(s) by all means necessary.

3. How do you define happiness?
Temporal feelings of elation / relief / satisfaction / pleasures... (e.g., sleeping / eating / coitus..)

Is it reachable?
Only temporarily. I do not strive for it as a long-term goal. I strive for bliss (e.g., overcoming), instead. "Happiness," does not interest me.

Only my (physical properties - experiences / memories) et al. Otherwise, no.

(A) - Studying (re: reptitious re-reading, watching a lectures and/or listening to audios on texts with as least distractions as possible (re: complete silence), for better (interpretations). Only reading in paper / hardback / original copies with good translators, to make way for highlighting / underlining, et al.

Going outside and/or above & beyond
what's necessarily/required (jolting down opinions / short-essays) of the content read, then having open-ended verbalized-discussions with associates about such content.

(B) - Primary texts' contemporaneous contexts take precedence over secondary (& tertiary) texts commentaries [sequences]. Reading side critiques (other interpretations of primarily texts following).

(C) - Informing / stabilizing distinct and estranged vocabularies / writing structures / semantic-gibbberish - (i.e., daily vocabulary studying), in order to recognize distinct writing styles [of other specimen(s)].

(D) - Paraphrasing (as seen in ex; A), unique argot into coherent and easily understandable idioms.

(E) - Rereading it again, afterward (slowly / steady pace).

6. How does your imagination affect or help you?

For (quick-access) of problem-solving non-complex conflicts; to induce proper thinking - raising important questions; and encouraging deeper thought on state-of-affairs.

When do you use it and for what purpose?
Reflexively; without a "purpose".

Order for impractical / complex conflicts and affairs - (re: impersonal / formal / major-mistakes risk/cost analysis - business, intellectualism, et al). (Memory/intuition - for practical affairs (re: interpersonal / informal events / socializing / simple mistakes / short-term recall).

8. How can you know that you are doing the right thing to foster your goal?
By doing anyhing that is "good," for (surrounding agents / and my own agency) - optimizing the agency of other(s) around, by causing as little damage as possible, while striving to accomplishing (X)-goal.

Stress destabilizes - suspends/disturbs reasoning skills; stress-relief activities (re: intellectual hygiene / catharsis - release / problems being problematized) "re-stabilizes / restores balance," and perhaps, motivates me to continue what is otherwise, stressful.

Rarely; when I do, I do not control it - and do not wish to. I do not believe in "controlling" oneself (i.e., self-delusions); but rather self-care, (re: caring for the self-by all means necessary). Which may require a release of emotion. It is often rare, quick, & violent.

Conflict. Chaos. Adaptability/flexibility. Opportunism. Results. Rewards. Goals and/or clear objectives.

"Absolute," good is incoherent. Sufficient good suffices; and this is (attendence/awareness/self-care towards ones agency). Giving back to the commons - proximate participation (re: locality), in improving ones community. Refusing to submit to intellectual laziness / physical laziness - et al.

Ethics/Morality - a/symmetries.

Yes. Yes. Ignore. Sometimes.

I do not form friendships; only serial monogamous-romantic bond(s) and trustworthy associates for ea need required to prevent the "pressures," of acquiring all needs from one source - (for certain needs (e.g., there is one for going out/night on the town / intellectual stimulus / deeper intimacy, etc and so forth). I am too solitary. With too much of a preference for aloneness.

Familiarity. When it comes to (making fun new associations), (although, it simply depend(s) on the conversatee') to which I am exchanging information with - I cannot make "friends" with specimens that do not contribute, which is why I prefer extrovert(s), usually. Rather than scraping at other introverts.

I enjoy good conversationalists; and am relatively impatient. Familiary and/or "strangers," do not matter - if any, I prefer some strangers.

Agency.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts

All the time
When they lie
I expect them to be honest when they say they’re being honest

Most of the disappointment really boils down to ‘you’re not more like me, what a shame’

‘I’m interested in beauty, not saving lives.’

My response when a guidance counselor asked me why I wanted to quit pre-med track. Not looking to change anything. If good changes happen because of my actions, then that’s great.

Happiness is momentary. It’s reachable, but only accidentally.

Unusual circumstances.

Escapism.

Aren’t these interlinked?

You don’t know until you see the results, which really pisses me off to be quite honest. If I don’t see the change within x amount of time and am not given clear reasons why so and so hasn’t happened, then I’m likely to say ‘fuck it’ and move on.

The idea of excelling under pressure does. I like being the strong tree in the middle of a storm. Unnecessary stress and conflict motivates me to withdraw and do something else.

I don’t get angry often. Moments of high irritation are frequent, especially when dealing with people that like to waste time. Most of it stems from a lack of patience.

I cannot.

This is a loaded question, bruh. I’m more interested in what triggered this.

Talking to strangers is very easy and I usually don’t care to forge new friendships from it. I’m satisfied with the people I know deeply and the shallow acquaintances I have already. So, it’s not a matter of what’s easier, more like what’s preferable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts