Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading about Socionics on wikipedia and I read that when two people have the same personality type and when they interact they perceive eachother as "boring". Does this below make any sense? If possible, could someone elaborate more what it means in general and the real world? The last sentence confuses me TBH...

Wikipedia:

Identity

Relations of Identity describe relations between two individuals of the same type. Often, both partners will perceive similar situations and problems, and will take similar actions. Partners usually understand the motivations behind the other's actions. A relationship between identity partners is characterized by mutual understanding, self-development, and learning. Each is interested in the other's ideas, and sees their value, but such relations quickly become exhausted and boring since there is nothing more to discuss once informational potentials reach the level.

Source: Socionics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
MOTM Feb 2012
ISTJ 9w1
7,167 Posts
1. I don't believe in Socionics.

2. This description might be better:

These are relations of complete understanding between partners but with an inability to help each other. Identical partners see the world with identical eyes, identically work out received information, come to identical conclusions and have identical problems. Identical partners usually experience sympathy towards each other, trying to support and justify each other.

Identical relations have a negative side too. Interaction with an Identical partner may quickly become boring unless partners have common interests, working on the same project, or if one partner has sufficient preponderance in knowledge so a teacher and student situation can develop. Usually when partners do not receive any new information from each other they find no use in such interaction and their relations can become neutral.

However, periodically even neutral relations come alive for a short period of time. It happens when partners discover new things about each other. If Identical partners feel a mutual attraction to each other their relations can be really loving and caring.

In order for Identical relations to last, one partner has to take a role of the Dual if it was a Duality relationship. Usually it happens naturally. If the two are introverts, one often subconsciously attempts to take care of the extrovertedside of things, if the two are thinking types, then one would try to fill the resulting emotional void etc. Different backgrounds and function developments of Identical partners could help in this case, however as with any other relationship there has to be a driving force behind it to keep it going.

The result of Identical relations is self-development, because these relations can help you to look at your own abilities and disabilities from a different angle. Identical relations can be compared with watching a video of oneself. In conclusion, only these relations can provide a person with correct self-evaluation.
(Source)

3. I am dating an ISTJ. It is not boring. We actually aren't really that similar because our enneagram types are different. I've read that having a same MBTI type in a relationship is more common when the two parties are interested in maintaining peace and stability. Sounds like my cup of tea! :wink:

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1. I don't believe in Socionics.

2. This description might be better:

(Source)

3. I am dating an ISTJ. It is not boring. We actually aren't really that similar because our enneagram types are different. I've read that having a same MBTI type in a relationship is more common when the two parties are interested in maintaining peace and stability. Sounds like my cup of tea! :wink:
Ok, I get the general idea, and that website about looks interesting! Now I have another website to read. Well since it makes more sense now its not as important but I would like some more posts just for the sake of getting a more accurate answer from a large group.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I have to agree, I think the enneagram plays into it too. I've met some other ISTJs, who I do not think are boring, but actually quiet like myself. It's actually nice when things get agreed upon quite quickly and I think this works out great in the work setting.
I agree with this. It's awesome to meet another person who makes lists and functions in a lot of the same ways.

It's also cool to meet other ISTJ's because we often express our ISTJness so differently and distinctly, especially if we have different enneagrams.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I've met ISTJ's that I think are great, and then I've met ISTJ's that are just awful. Not as people, just in terms of how interesting they are. It's about a 50/50 split, so, along with the general consensus, I don't really agree with this.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Don't forget, the MBTI relays how we process information as a part of our personality type. It is not "THE" personality. I am certain if I came across another geeky-ish ISTJ woman around my age, we could be just as different as me and an ENFP, but we process information the same (or similar) way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts