Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, as little as a year ago, I was a really optimistic and happy person. But for the past year (after a lot of traumatic stuff happened at once), I've completely flipped. I've started not wanting to do anything, and everything just feels meaningless. When I think about the future, I can't even really think of any goals or dreams, besides finding someone romantically and being financially stable. I used to be really ambitious, but life has had me down lately and I feel like I'm not good enough anymore to do well. I was the top of my class in high school, but this first year of college I'm way below average, just because I can't find any motivation to the put the work in. Could this just be depression?

·
Registered
612 Posts
It could, but that's just a label. I went through one only to know at its end that it was a depression.

So you can heal from that without having a name for it. If it helps you to call that: depression, go on. What's important is what you wanna do it from this observation. Wether the name you have given to your current state, or the specific and detailed description of your current state.

1) Do you feel like able to ask for help among people you know?

2) Do you feel like it would be good for you to see a psy?

3) And to what are you still attached to, wether a hobby, a person with whom you may or may not willing to speak about it, a passion, an object, books, anything?

If you're aware of what still means something for you and light a small fire in your heart, that will allow you to get through it. Don't push yourself too much, it's a double edge sword to play with your motivation, it can free you or break you, nothing to bad, but anxiety could grow stronger from such events.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Depression can be a really personal experience but from some of the key things you've said here make it seem like it's possible.

If at all possible, I would recommend going and talking to a professional. I know that's the typical response to give but really, asking random people doesn't always give you the answer because depression is dependant on the person.

Maybe you should have a look at some of the symptoms:
https://www.beyondblue.org.au/the-facts/depression/signs-and-symptoms?gclid=Cj0KCQjwhtT1BRCiARIsAGlY51IQGan7RLM1tw8LtWIjzTKKnhN0aaQ9qmvMPtbhsj7DC_LuTvEZWi4aAhOCEALw_wcB

At the end of the day, you are the one that knows you the best. If you are concerned, then I would recommend acting.

·
Registered
ISTP 5w6
3,153 Posts
Sounds like how my depression started.

Now I am not saying that you are or are not depressed, but I would advice going to someone you trust and talk with them about it.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
So, as little as a year ago, I was a really optimistic and happy person. But for the past year (after a lot of traumatic stuff happened at once), I've completely flipped. I've started not wanting to do anything, and everything just feels meaningless.
Challenge your thinking. When you have a negative thought, reframe it, and ask what would you say to a friend having those same thoughts.

Keep a journal. Then challenge your thinking day by day, you will start to see that negative thinking is often biased and littered with inaccuracies and overexaggerations.

When you change your thinking, you gain more motivation to work, because having cluttered mental space, can lead to less motivation and wanting to do anything. Change your thoughts, change your reality.

For example, “I’ve completely flipped” could easily be changed to “I am going through some down time now, but let’s just say, I am recharging my batteries, so I can do extra well in my work and study later”

When I think about the future, I can't even really think of any goals or dreams, besides finding someone romantically and being financially stable.
I feel the same way. You sound like someone who is focused on the future, and is future oriented and intuitive by nature. That’s a good thing. Good attitude.

A lot of people are in the same boat, where they have trouble sometimes* seeing through to their dreams and goals. It’s good to keep a check list of what your goals are. Write them out

I used to be really ambitious, but life has had me down lately and I feel like I'm not good enough anymore to do well. I was the top of my class in high school, but this first year of college I'm way below average, just because I can't find any motivation to the put the work in. Could this just be depression?

If you were top of the class back then, can you think of what you were doing at the time to make you top of the class? I noticed myself, that I used to keep asking questions about lecture material and that helped process the lecture material better and get better grades. For example, I would look at the word “statistic” and ask what does that word mean and answer it. If I kept asking and answering questions, the more expert I got at my lecture material and the better the results

Another thing that helps, is to break your study into small manageable chunks (like 15 minutes breaks of study) and start with one section of study and keep it on a daily to do list. Slowly, you will accomplish the entire set of readings or work you need to do, but first you write down small pieces you need to do. Trick your mind into doing an essay by telling yourself you’re going to first do some dot points for the essay and break it into a step by step process. If you don’t break it up, your mind sees too much work to do but if you do break up the work and study, your mind can slowly tackle the entire set of work

Also, meditation can help ease your mind. Try it for 5-10 minutes a day. Or keep a journal, again, dedicate only 5-10 minutes to that. Then, keeping in mind the small amount of time taken to do the task, it looks simple enough to do and you’re more likely to do it.

If you were successful before, you can be successful and get good grades again. Just to let you know, this is the dog that is depression talking, but you can challenge its thoughts, and have a clear mind, while being well prepared for study.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts