Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for over a year I've had this job,
and it's not a great fit for me so my hours have dwindled a lot..

for the past month I wouldn't be on the schedule at all, I'd then call my dept manager to ask for hours, and she's schedule me two night shifts for the following week..

they told me I won't work more than two shifts per week..

so last week I got hired at a much better place suitable for me..

they are giving me more hours already, and they will be increasing..

the day I got hired, I went to my now old job and asked if they could just take me off the schedule, and only call me to work if somebody calls in sick, is a no show etc..

or if I want hours, I'll call them and ask.. it's just too overwhelming for me to work both jobs; yet I want to keep this job to keep my options open, plus I like working here every now and then..

is this wrong to do? I'm not scheduled the same days every week, so I figured instead of asking them to give me a set day every week that I'll work, to just kinda take me off the schedule completely unless they need me, or I need to work there..

sounds like they feel obligated to give me hours when I call and ask for them, since I'm a loyal employee who's been there a while compared to most others in my department I work in..

is this okay to do?

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's completely OK. Don't worry about it. It's not rude at all. Especially if you will just ask nicely. Moreover, you will notice if they will be not in favour of that offer. In your place, I would be probably gentle while calling. Giving them space to turn you down. Something like "Hey, next Friday I'm free. Do you have some shift available that I can take?" It has very simple answer: Yes/No. If you are doubting about being impolite just by this, I don't think you would be demanding some specific shift.

·
MOTM October 2013
6,445 Posts
Depending on how they're set up, they may actually lose money keeping you on their list of employees when you're not working, and so it may be better for them to just have you quit rather than pass you hours here and there.

That said, it's up to them to actually communicate that to you and make you leaving the job official, though they might just phase you out of the system without telling you too...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts