Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Persuaded my elderly mother to take a test online, and it came out INTJ.

I really don't believe it, so here's some random questions. Do they fit with INTJ, to you?

Are you untidy?

Do you like to act/perform?

Do you apparently listen very intently to what someone is saying, then wander off onto a completely different conversational tangent?

Have you ever had a premonition, or seen a ghost?

Do you have a strong religious faith?

Do you worry about what other people think of you?

Obviously I'm picking the very un-INTJlike things I think my Mum does, but maybe I'm wrong.

Would be interested in input.

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
Are you untidy?
Depends.

Nope.

Do you apparently listen very intently to what someone is saying, then wander off onto a completely different conversational tangent?
Depends.

Of course not.

Not really.

Negative.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
Sounds more INFJ-like. It is common for INFJs to mis-type INTJ because our feeling and thinking functions are side by side and when we are introverting (taking an MBTI test for example thinking to ourselves) we don't feel very feelsy, rather more like T-type because Ti kicks in. Worrying about what people think, having faith/spiritual beliefs, and acting/mirroring abilities are also traits commonly prescribed to INFJs.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
if your mother is intuitive subtype of INFJ meaning the type that relies more on Ni-Ti and is more on introverted side of introverts, then yes she may be absent-minded, untidy, disorganized, random, try to multitask often in what she is doing and as a result do everything sloppily, as well as appearing more withdrawn into herself, more self-centered and subjective

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Vel, interesting.
That's the first I've heard of subtypes. Could you point me at a source for reading?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Are you untidy? No.
Do you like to act/perform? No.
Do you listen intently, then off onto a different conversational tangent? Yes.
Have you ever had a premonition, or seen a ghost? No.
Do you have a strong religious faith? No.
Do you worry about what other people think of you? No.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
Thanks Vel, interesting.
That's the first I've heard of subtypes. Could you point me at a source for reading?
I use Wikisocion for it. The subtypes usually correspond to more introverted vs more extraverted versions of the personality. In Wikisocion for all introverts the last letter is reversed, extraverts stay same. So INTJ would become INTp and ENTJ would stay ENTj. And also if you just google MBTI type + word subtype you might find various other descriptions on other websites.

Subtypes of INFJs: IEI subtypes - Wikisocion
Subtypes of INTJs: ILI subtypes - Wikisocion

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Are you untidy?
Yep.

I did when I was younger.

Sometimes.

Apparently I've seen ghosts. o_O

No.

Not anymore.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
My answers...

In some areas, I am untidy and in some areas I am quite neat. Depends on how interested I am in the area usually as where I have focused things are usually orderly though it may not be orderly to some,e.g. a stack can be a very nice storage type that others may find annoying at times.

Rarely do I like to act/perform. There may be the odd time where I'll think, "This could be fun..." but then it usually blows up in my face.

I can listen intently and then find a tangent almost every time. However, I generally hide such comments as I'm not sure if the other person is prepared to go down the rabbit hole I'd be putting out there.

As for ghosts and premonitions, I probably have had several premonitions in my life though I didn't always understand them when I had them. Ghosts would fall into the class of demons to my mind and yes I have seen a few of them in my day.

I do have a strong religious faith, though this is more in terms of rules within the universe that may or may not be understood by others. For example, I believe that things will work themselves out which may or may not be what others would do in some cases.

I often worry about what other people think of me though this is something that is being evaluated and attempts to change this are being done through therapy. I have various anxiety and depression moments where other people can really do a number on my feelings, though there is some of this that is internalizing what comes from the outside and my inner critic has a field day with it of course. This leads to self-loathing and catastrophizing that are characteristics of my thought processes to some extent.

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
Are you untidy?
Yes, but....I can be incredibly tidy as well depending on my head space.

13 years of theatre school. I think we all put on a mask and perform sometimes....

Sometimes, depends on the person and the conversation. My conversations tend to loop back and forth over 10 different subjects.

Yes.

No.

Yes, especially when I am under high stress.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Are you untidy?
Yes, I am very untidy.

Not unless I need it.

Sometimes.

No.

Atheist.

Sometimes, I think it has to do with me being bullied in my younger years. Not very much at all though.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Are you untidy?
~ My room, yes, other things, no.
~ No.
~ Most of the time.
~ Yes actually.
~ No.
~ No.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Are you untidy?
INTJs have the capacity to be very untidy and disorganized. I have such tendencies.

The audience aspect of it doesn't entice me when it comes to acting/performing. However, I like the idea of both and sometimes do some stuff here and there when I'm alone in my room. That mainly means I get really dramatic and blast up the headphones and "live" in the song. Mind you I'm alone :tongue:

And/but I do love to compete.

Not usually. What I do though, is return with a really flat remark that makes the conversation falter.

No.

Atheist.

Yes, but that worry continues to subside.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Are you untidy?
A bit
Somewhat. Isn't all social interaction an act?
Yes, that's the N.
Premonitions, sometimes.
Yes.
No, of course not!

Obviously I'm picking the very un-INTJlike things I think my Mum does, but maybe I'm wrong.

An INTJ and an INFJ are very different, which you will see when you put them together. Case in point, although I do a few of these feely things when the occasion arises, I spend at least 95% of my time in my skull, and think, internalize and consider thoughts and objects.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Are you untidy? Sometimes, in some environments. My desk usually looks messy but it is organized. My closet is neat but unorganized. My kitchen is both tidy and organized.

Do you like to act/perform? No, but I am a skilled performer. I am a trained vocalist and I have worked as a corporate trainer. I find the ability to be someone I am not to be useful.

Not conversationally but my mind will wander while you are talking.

Have you ever had a premonition, or seen a ghost? I don't think so....

Do you have a strong religious faith? No. I identify as Christian but my individual faith is agnostic.

Do you worry about what other people think of you? Most people, no. Select individuals who have earned my trust and respect, yes.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Are you untidy?
No, I am usually tidy interspersed with small periods of disorganization.

I did when I was much younger. If I had any real talent, then I would still perform; but, since I do not, I leave my performances to speeches/presentations/social interactions.

Sometimes. That is, sometimes I can't even fake listening intently to someone. My mind usually wanders off on a tangent.

Yes. Which is interesting because I don't believe in ghosts. Have had numerous premonitions, instances of ESP, and de ja vu - all examples of Ni interacting with our subconscious, in my opinion.

No. Apathetic Agnostic Atheist.

Of course, I don't necessarily worry, but I do care about the opinions of people whom I respect.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I'm a little different from many INTJ's, because I use my Fi function almost as much as my Te function. I think that makes me seem more outgoing, creative, and touchy feely than most of my tribe. However, I remain very much an INTJ. Maybe your mother is like this. I also think people are a lot harder to type and fit into categories as they get older
and develop their 3rd and 4th functions.

Are you untidy?
Depends on your standards. I'm not a neat freak.

Yes, I do. It gives me permission to try on an extrovert hat and other personas. I don't like socializing afterwards though - I need to go be by myself for a while and get centered.

Only if the topic is boring or I have something on my mind.

Okay, this is embarassing, since I don't believe in psychic phenomena, but sometimes I know things about people that I have no way of knowing. Like, I knew never to leave a child alone with a certain person, after one brief conversation that had nothing to do with children. Sure enough, he turned out to be a molester. It's a little freaky. I think it's actually my intuition at work, but I can't tell you how.

Not really. Strong moral/idealistic streak, though. I can be attracted to mysticism when in the right mood.

Only if I vaule their judgment or their opinion will affect my life (like my boss, for example)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Are you untidy?
Yep. But I hate it. The INTJ in me can't stand it, but I have so little space and I haven't been able to let go of much of my school stuff (books, research papers, readings, etc.). I guess that's still very INTJ.

When I was little, yes. But now, I only do it when I really have to. I can sing just fine so I usually opt for that.

Oh yeah. Happens quite often.

No. I know friends who do, and I believe them, but that's a gift I wouldn't ask for myself. Frankly, I don't think this is an MBTI thing. I've observed that the gift falls on different kinds of people.

Yes. I know many other INTJ's don't, but note that I have strong religious faith today because I was convinced the INTJ way.

No, unless it affects some goal that I want to reach. I then start "playing politics."

1 - 20 of 27 Posts