Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ah the old private self, public self split. I’m sure everyone has experienced this, even the most extroverted kinds of people. So, what I’m wandering is, to know our true type, do we do a quantitative approach where “well more people see me in these traits therefore I must be that type” OR do we go by what we are in our most natural state even though it’s only exclusive to a certain crowd?

UPDATE
What if both public/private feel just as natural, just one a matter of one occurs more than another? Which do you use to answer tests then?

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
I just respond as myself, idgaf how other people see me and I certainly don't respond in that light unless a question specifically asks for that.

BTW if you want to know your type take the "My Personality Quiz" in my sig - it's foolproof.
Just responding to your sig here.

·
Electronica Wizard
6,687 Posts
If we go by Astrology, there is an existence of Sun (Nature) and the moon (Nurture). If we go by MBTI, there is enneagram to consider. What we are is a preference and not an absence of certain functions.

·
Banned
1,430 Posts
One's MBTI type is a mixture of different things. It consists of both one's mental processes (private stuff), and what could be considered things to do with behaviour (public stuff). Yes, an individual of one type could feasibly come across as another type in a different context, so a shy extravert could appear introverted. There are always going to be some indicators that need to be taken with a grain of salt. However, there are still things about a person's public persona that provide a clear giveaway as to their type.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NO ONE ACTUALLY ANSWERED THE QUESTION :shocked:

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
NO ONE ACTUALLY ANSWERED THE QUESTION :shocked:
I answered it in the first response in the thread, albeit in a classically subjective introverted kind of way.

We should answer as ourselves, our most natural state.
Not through the lense of traits other people see in us.

Who was it that said we should respond as our "shoes off" self? I like that.
I think it's required to get your true type.

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
Ah the old private self, public self split. I’m sure everyone has experienced this, even the most extroverted kinds of people. So, what I’m wandering is, to know our true type, do we do a quantitative approach where “well more people see me in these traits therefore I must be that type” OR do we go by what we are in our most natural state even though it’s only exclusive to a certain crowd?
Neither and both lol. It's good to keep in mind what your public persona is when typing, and using other's opinions of you when typing can be helpful to make sure you're not assigning traits to yourself that you think are you but actually don't make sense in context of your personality (almost like a bias check). However, mbti isn't so much how you behave, but it's why you behave, why you display certain traits or do the things that you do. Why do you behave differently around certain people? Is it because you wish to please them (F) or because it's socially advantageous to you (T)? The explanation isn't even that simple most of the times. Figure out the motivations behind the way you behave the way you do and why you take interest in the things you do and you'll have your type.

To clarify my statement, I'll provide a random example. In my example, I include an INTP (because that's probably the type I'm most familiar) and an ESFJ (purely for contrast). The ESFJ excerpt is shorter because I obviously understand ESFJs less well than INTPs.

Bob is an INTP. In a public setting, he is overly formal, careful, and polite, therefore appearing to the outsider as a F valuer, specifically a Fe valuer. Internally, he behaves this way because he lacks a strong grasp on social niceties (High Ti, inferior Fe) and feels more comfortable (Si) when he doesn't display this weakness. While loving debates, he often avoids them outside of people he is familiar with (Si) because he has a strong ego and doesn't like to be wrong (Ti with inferior Fe) and his theories are often viewed as unrealistic (Ne). In comfortable settings, however, he is quite energetic and playful with strange obsessions paired with slight naiveness to the world (Ne). He and his friends love theorizing about alien life on other planets. He enjoys this because it allows him to play with different possibilities (Ne) based on the information he has acquired thus far about biology and astrology and his own personal ideas about how the world works( Ti). His friend Fred, the ESFJ, enjoys playing with possibilities for fun (Tert. Ne). It is engaging to imagine how life might form on other planets (Fe) and fun to compare it to how life develops on earth (Si)

Bob and Fred both exhibit similar behavior (ie. both are careful with how they behave in the public sphere, both enjoy hypothesizing about aliens, both enjoy the company of others, both might even enjoy debating). It is why each of them behave this way and enjoy the things they do that separates them.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I don't think your 'true type' wholly ignores your public persona, but the questions seem to be designed more on your own self-perception so it's a truer measure of how you see yourself. There's a fine line, and it's really understanding what makes you behave the way you do. We tend to judge ourselves on our intentions, while others judge us on our behaviour generally speaking, but I kind of think the official MBTI descriptions mix these together, so they often focus on how you see yourself, but then say, to others, this can seem like this.

So I think the best way to get an accurate measure is to answer as to how you are in your most natural state, and then use that result to analyse how this may or may not agree with how others see you, or look at why you're behaving differently to type around others. Ultimately it's how you prefer to be, not how you behave around others because you think that's how you're supposed to act or because that's how people like you or whatever.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I answered it in the first response in the thread, albeit in a classically subjective introverted kind of way.

We should answer as ourselves, our most natural state.
Not through the lense of traits other people see in us.

Who was it that said we should respond as our "shoes off" self? I like that.
I think it's required to get your true type.

Hmmm...you’re right. But here’s a question (which I forgot to put as part of the original thread), what if they both feel as natural?

Also, thanks for the test. I did it and got Intp.

Also there is no $1000 million bucks reward heheh

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Geezus @Krayfish ! Did you make that example up? You’re crazy! Hahah

Why do you behave differently around certain people? Is it because you wish to please them (F) or because it's socially advantageous to you (T)?
I don’t think I behave differently on purpose, but I’m not sure if that’s what you meant because in your example, it sounds like the hypothetical intp does it subconsciously.

I was mainly wandering in reference to test questions, what are you meant to use to answer them? Who I am in private or the opposite?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't think your 'true type' wholly ignores your public persona, but the questions seem to be designed more on your own self-perception so it's a truer measure of how you see yourself. There's a fine line, and it's really understanding what makes you behave the way you do. We tend to judge ourselves on our intentions, while others judge us on our behaviour generally speaking, but I kind of think the official MBTI descriptions mix these together, so they often focus on how you see yourself, but then say, to others, this can seem like this.

So I think the best way to get an accurate measure is to answer as to how you are in your most natural state, and then use that result to analyse how this may or may not agree with how others see you, or look at why you're behaving differently to type around others. Ultimately it's how you prefer to be, not how you behave around others because you think that's how you're supposed to act or because that's how people like you or whatever.

Well say for instance, much more louder and exuberant at home but still constantly in own room vs quiet and awkward and irritated in public. I realise this sounds like the character of a maniac...but it’s example (*looks left and right quickly*)

Also, your signature, how very un-istj of you :p

Reactions: AllyKat

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If we go by Astrology, there is an existence of Sun (Nature) and the moon (Nurture). If we go by MBTI, there is enneagram to consider. What we are is a preference and not an absence of certain functions.
What do you mean? Like, I know mbti is about who you are, but no one is ever just one thing, so how do you know which you really are when looking at private/public split? Because I’m not like how I am with family with most people, but both states feel just as natural

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
Geezus @Krayfish ! Did you make that example up? You’re crazy! Hahah

I don’t think I behave differently on purpose, but I’m not sure if that’s what you meant because in your example, it sounds like the hypothetical intp does it subconsciously.

I was mainly wandering in reference to test questions, what are you meant to use to answer them? Who I am in private or the opposite?
Haha lol. Yeah, it is more of a subconscious process, at least as far as I know. I know some people do it purposely, but at least for most people it's more along the subconscious side. I provided an example purely because describing it was bringing weird robotic statements into my mind (like the one you quoted there).

As far as test questions go, since they focus more on behavior than motivation, I'd say both focusing on the "social persona" and "private persona" is important. As tedious as it sounds, you sort of have to take it in the context of each question I think. @AllyKat hit on the nose with her explanation tbh. Use your natural/most comfortable state, than look at social to verify.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Use your natural/most comfortable state, than look at social to verify.
@AllyKat @Krayfish

And what if social doesn’t agree ? What are you meant to trust then (other than a religious entity and a government)?

·
Registered
789 Posts
Well say for instance, much more louder and exuberant at home but still constantly in own room vs quiet and awkward and irritated in public. I realise this sounds like the character of a maniac...but it’s example (*looks left and right quickly*)
I suspect that's not so uncommon as it seems! I can be pretty outspoken and far louder when I'm at home at with people I'm comfortable with. I'm pretty opinionated. But I keep those opinions pretty tight under wraps when I'm with others I don't know so well. I hate attention and want to stay in the background (though I think that's more an IS (or ISJ?) thing generally). Awkwardness is probably not necessarily illustrative of introversion/extraversion though tbh, I think it's as much confidence related. I know with time I've learned to 'flick the extravert switch' to be able to achieve goals/complete tasks etc that I felt were important, but I can only manage it for a short time. I notice like half the details when I'm in full extravert mode and I hate it.

I've got school reports from my high school days which repeatedly talk about how 'sociable' I was, a word I would never use to describe myself, yet I would go home and shut myself in my room for hours every evening because it was how I kept sane. I've never really questioned my introversion though. And in saying that they also always used to say I should speak up more in class (I was like, why? Why would I do that?) so still quiet. Have you tried big five tests to help decide on E/I? There's a fair correlation. But it's ok to show traits of both, just focus on which you prefer more often than not, when you're just feeling most like yourself.

Also, your signature, how very un-istj of you :p
Err, thanks! It's very how I see the world though it's probably more a reflection of my enneagram One idealism than direct ISTJness.

Stolen from here:

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
@AllyKat @Krayfish

And what if social doesn’t agree ? What are you meant to trust then (other than a religious entity and a government)?
Depends on the context of the trait. If you believe your super analytical and logical and, while you've displayed these traits around your friends, everyone laughs at that fact that you could be super logically driven, you trust the social context. The social context is disproving a possible bias. If you are loud and exuberant when on your own, but somewhat more constrained in a social setting, then you'd trust the natural state. That natural state provides something your more comfortable being, and a constrained attitude could relate to other factors (ie. social anxiety).

I hate to give such a neutral answer, but it's a case by case scenario I think

·
Registered
789 Posts
@AllyKat @Krayfish

Not sure if I answered this above, but if society sees you differently then reflect on why that might be so. Do you do it because you're scared of people judging you negatively? If so, common human trait, not really relevant, go with your instinct of how you see yourself.

Do you act differently because you're making a decision based on others feelings? Think how that's reflected in the question - could be feeling related for example, etc.

In the end, I don't think you're supposed to think a lot about the questions/answers while you're answering them. If you're not sure, just pick your first instinct without thinking about it. And then look at the results and go back and analyse the questions you weren't sure about and say, ok, this shows I haven't got a high preference in E/I or F/T or whatever. If nothing else, you'll at least learn more about how you think and why you do what you do.

·
Electronica Wizard
6,687 Posts
What do you mean? Like, I know mbti is about who you are, but no one is ever just one thing, so how do you know which you really are when looking at private/public split? Because I’m not like how I am with family with most people, but both states feel just as natural
You should accept that both the private/public part of yourself is who you are as a whole. we cannot have one without the other even if we have little preference for that little portion of ourselves that we sometimes neglect. The only thing that I wonder in my life is the driving force behind the decisions that I make. Who is my driver? If you could find the core motivations that drives you to where you are right now, then you'll know why you choose to be this way in public and not privately.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Nether. It’s about what type you default to when your not under pressure to act differently. Aka, your preference.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nether. It’s about what type you default to when your not under pressure to act differently. Aka, your preference.
But preference means that there is choice and if you’re acting one way in public and one way in private, even if differently, you’re still making choices, but they contradict each other, so would you examine that as a whole in order to figure out personality type?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts