Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This post is inspired by viewing yet again a commercial which makes me cringe every time I see it. I have no idea what it's advertising because all I see is a beautiful woman who l looks absolutely ugly. She has great features! Really! You can tell she would be a knock out even in Cinderella rags. And that's pretty much what she is. Her hair is shaved down to a crew cut. She's wearing a beautiful gold sequined blouse, but it's out of place -- she's in a casual environment, and she's wearing it with casual pants, so that's it's scintillating in a very bad way. I think she's singing. Someone's singing. I just want the commercial to go away.

It's not that I'm not open minded. I can look at styles from ages past or other culture of the world and think, "Hmmm, I would never wear that because no one in my neighborhood wears that, but boy isn't that just really cool!"

Is it just me? Or have fashions over the past several decades given rise to the increasingly mismatched, gaudy, and shocking? The "look at me at all costs" style.

I thought, well, well maybe its just cheap crap that people are buying at Walmart. Maybe people don't know how to dress nicely anymore because they aren't being given good examples to follow. So I checked out some fashion designer stuff. YIKES! I wouldn't pay a $100 for these outfits much less what they are actually charging. Why? Because they are mismatched, gaudy-gaudy, "look at me right now even if I'm ugly" type stuff.

ugly2.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
359 Posts
I think it's important to note that those pictures are of high fashion runways, and clothes in those shows are always god awful and have no relationship to what people would actually wear outside in front of other human people.

Secondly, I don't so much think it's a case of making clothes that are "look at me" in style, moreso just trying to make things that haven't been done. The problem is, the internet is now a thing, so trends that might have had a life-cycle of 4-5 years now last 1-2, leading to increasingly odd trends in order to be different.

I wouldn't worry too much. Eventually everyone will be wearing weird shit and the only way for the fashion industry to "be different" will be to snapback to flattering colours, clothes that fit and conventional beauty standards. Then we can start the whole cycle all over again :DDDDDDDDDDD

·
Registered
400 Posts
Fashion, just like music, art, design, beauty etc, is very subjective. Not that I find the clothes you posted nice but that one person's meat can be another person's poison. I've seen people wearing weird stuff which they find absolutely stunning. *shrug*

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
All that fashion world stuff is fictitious. No one would ever buy it. No one would wear it outside. The models look so miserable because they hate the clothes. It's all set up so people with too much money can nod at each other and pretend they're elite and special for doing something weird.

Reactions: odinthor

·
Registered
173 Posts
A lot of designer fashion should be considered art and not really fashion, in my opinion. Often there's some message but I don't think it's something someone should actually wear.

Personally, I'm not really a fan of fashion or trends alltogether. I don't like looking like I try too hard or that I follow things everyone else does. I only wear black, grey and white. Jackets or hoodies, jeans, sunglasses. Rings, a necklace. That's it. *shrug*

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
Not so much "ugly." "Tacky" is the word I'd use.

·
Registered
INFP 5w6
1,322 Posts
I once befriended a fashion designer through a friend. He invited me to join him for dinner with these two ex miss Portugal & Angola. We talked alot, and what i got from the conversations is that high end fashion is extremely competitive between designers and often doesnt become about looking good but who can come up with the most absurd combinations in the name of grandiose art. Its not hard to guess, but that night those talks really solidified that opinion.

The individual bits of clothing are interesting by themselves, and actually would be stylish if tempered with moderate clothing to strike a balance. Otherwise its just too 'loud' to be appreciated. I do wish that girl would remove that jacket though, shes got a terrific midriff and that blue is as fresh a Caribbean ocean. I almost expect a giant fin in replacement of legs, but they will do too.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
I'd like to see the commercial =)

The designs you have posted is Prada. What you see by her on the runway (the show of new clothes for the season that is shown to buyers, magazines etc) is not exactly reliable if we want to discuss mainstream or day-to-day fashion. Or by any designer really.
Generally the runway show is to express not just the clothes, but an idea or new mood for the season. So pretty much presentations get really crazy but don't take them for how they look in a literal way. As in, "we will leave the house like this".

Anyway Prada is one of the best known for making terrible outfits or combinations for her shows
But when clothes are in the store, they look fine.

I think this would make an interesting discussion! But it's difficult without pictures.
What exactly is it that you find ugly?

Prada was often described with the term "ugly pretty" btw :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
People wear this to show that they have money. And if they wear special looking clothes its easier to recognize the label (some kind of free commercial) and that the person who wears it has money.

But I just recently read that most fashion clothes are actually meant to be art by the designer, just like paintings, music and stuff.

Unfortunately the whole thing about art is actually just to stand out of the crowd. If you do it in a qualitatve, emotion expressing OR ridicioulus way is the persons choice.

Fame is related to money. And since als those brands have money, they can literally do what they want^^

Those fashion things disturb me sometimes too, but at the same time i would love to wear some cool armor and a big sword on my back :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts