Personality Cafe banner

Is your current job one that is recommended for your type?

• Yes, my current job is recommended for my type, and I like it.

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • Yes, my current job is recommended for my type, and I feel neutral about it.

Votes: 6 9.1%
  • Yes, my current job is recommended for my type, but I hate it.

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • No, my current job is not recommended for my type, but I like it.

Votes: 20 30.3%
  • No, my current job is not recommended for my type, and I feel neutral about it.

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • No, my current job is not recommended for my type, and I hate it.

Votes: 13 19.7%

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I'm actually on disability right now, but before I was a ride operator and I'm an ISTP. I think the two make a pretty good fit, although all the interacting with people gets old, especially when you're screaming for 10 hours straight. I liked it though, and I hope I can go back to it when I feel up to it. My dream job would be writing, can do whenever I want and don't have to deal with a lot of people.

·
Registered
INFP 9w1 sp/so
2,468 Posts
I'm not working at the moment so I'll speak for my most recent job, I worked the purchase ledger for a tyre company, definitely not an INFP or 9 job and I hated it. The boss didn't help that but I found it really mentally draining and struggled to get to grips with most aspects of it, and I had to call and be called by companies a lot which made me really uncomfortable. Not as bad as my job before that though, call centre. My god. Every day was a waking nightmare.

My dream job is to be a game designer, preferably a scenario or character director or designer, and pretty much any kind of creative job like that is recommended for INFPs.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I’m a software engineer which isn’t on any list of jobs for INFPs.

I like it, sort of. Don’t get me wrong — I do love writing code and creating/debugging software, quite a bit actually, but my dream job is to work for the theme park design industry. They have jobs for programmers, like controls, lighting, or animatronics programming. Admittedly, I should’ve probably done engineering, but Disney I know has a lot of jobs for computer scientists and animators. Speaking of which, I’d also love to use my animation/graphics skills to do technical art and I want to write novels too.

A bunch of my co-workers are college dropouts and keep talking about how great it is that you don’t need a degree to code, which annoys me a bit because of how hard I worked to get my degree. But that’s subjective I suppose.

My job is okay, but I really want to get back down to Southern California where I was raised and work in entertainment. Fun, the beach, and no more snow — oh how I hate the snow. Regardless, I need this job to save up for a master’s degree so I’ll be doing it for the next year, yippee lol. And I won’t be getting back to SoCal until 2022 or 2023, unless I get lucky with a summer internship during grad school.

To be fair, I really can’t complain. It pays well and has flexible hours. But at the same time, ehhh. I have fun at work, but usually spend my lunch breaks looking up Imagineering jobs.

·
Banned
348 Posts
It says I am good at forensics and detective work. Being good at it is one thing doesn't mean I have to love it. I am neutral.

Yeah it can get pretty exciting every once a while say when we were helping the government going after someone(s) who allegedly worked for someone I can't possibly name who was also being investigated by the UN Security Council but most of the time (99%) they are chores. Punching in reports, reading reports, talking to people, asking questions, listening to lies, open up boxes of documents with running cockroaches and rat shit in them and make photocopies, read the photocopied document with rat diarrhea on it and try to figure out whether it is a 6 or an 8..... Drafting business letters, dealing with lawyers who love to ask stupid questions and have problems with basic arithmetic and common sense and charge you for it...

·
Soop for the Soul
1,741 Posts
Probably not, but I can use my Fe well enough that it doesn't cause a problem. Actually its probably very good to have Ti and Se high up there for what I do.

·
Banned
2,375 Posts
It says I am good at forensics and detective work. Being good at it is one thing doesn't mean I have to love it. I am neutral.

Yeah it can get pretty exciting every once a while say when we were helping the government going after someone(s) who allegedly worked for someone I can't possibly name who was also being investigated by the UN Security Council but most of the time (99%) they are chores. Punching in reports, reading reports, talking to people, asking questions, listening to lies, open up boxes of documents with running cockroaches and rat shit in them and make photocopies, read the photocopied document with rat diarrhea on it and try to figure out whether it is a 6 or an 8..... Drafting business letters, dealing with lawyers who love to ask stupid questions and have problems with basic arithmetic and common sense and charge you for it...
ha they didn't spend all that money to go to law school for nothin

·
Beer Guardian
14,666 Posts
I am in IT. I help run a massive satellite/terrestrial network. It is pretty cool. I like it. The pay and benefits could be a little better, but I enjoy the challenge. Within a few established parameters, it is different every day. I never know what I'm going to be doing from one day to the next. I'm intuitively good with technology, so it fits with my disposition. The people are all "...My sort of weird" so we generally get along well. It wasn't the career I expected, but it is the one I seem to fit well with.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I think mine is so. I am an A-level Student. I think it compliments my type very well.

But I also work as a Volunteer at Charity Shop of British Heart Foundation. I was made to work there so I can boost my confidence.

I also work part-time for Peacocks the retail fashion shop. This so I can earn my own money and try to be independent on my hard work.

I like to work as a passion as I am developing and improving great skills even further. I am proud of myself for it. I feel like I am progressing and achieving great things.

I don't know if it should recommend to a type. I don't think your type has influence in the work you do. I for one have met a lot of people with wide range of types and personality. Even as Student there are people who work in the same environment as I do but have different personalities of each other.

It does not matter what you work as you will have different range of people working in that sector.

I don't know all my colleagues of British Heart Foundation or Peacocks. The manager of BHF is a ENFP. The manager of Peacock is ISFP. My Biology tutor is ENFP, Chemistry tutor is INTP, Psychology tutor is INTJ and Sociology tutor is ISTJ. The principle of my sixth-form is ENTJ.
Aye, fellow A level student. What subjects did you take?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
MBTI most probably ISFP. I was supposed to run through the forest playing banjo...but I'm a med student. Close enough!

·
Registered
6,116 Posts

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
In conclusion majority believe that their current job is not recommended for their type.

Also majority like their job.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Working in a store deli. Most of my coworkers were cool. But a few of them wanted to be the hero and acted like their poo didn't stink. Coworkers from other departments would come by and get mad that I was not smiling enough. Many of the workers were Stepford smilers. I also didn't drink the corporate Kool-aid. You expect me to smile here? The job was so draining mentally and emotionally. The customers were terrifying. They were Karens or worse. The higher ups would get mad at the department for wasting food. Leave fried chicken or macaroni in a warmer for 4 hours it's gonna look and taste gross. The store expected too much from everybody working there. You cannot run a busy store deli with 2-3 people and expect things to get done. My parents told me I was over exaggerating about how bad it was. The only reason I stayed so long was the pay. After working there for a while I used to come home crying from how much I hated that job. I got to the point where nobody on earth could convince me to stay there. I think working at that store chain in general is for ESTJ types. I think the pizza restaurant is also for these types. Or the real driven ones. I think the franchisee likes to have or promote a toxic work environment or they would not have told us not to fight your coworkers after work in the parking lot.

I want to make youtube videos and be a writer. I'm just working there to earn some money to get the items needed to start what I really want to do. I need a good camera and not have it look like some idiot shot it one handed on a cellphone and won't stop the video from shaking. I need lots of other supplies too.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
What I love being a writer is that I can do extensive research, speak my mind, and be as creative as I want. What I don't like is the deadline. I usually love deadlines but some researches take longer than others and it could be challenging to have time constraints when quality is at stake.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I spent years creating my own business to realise my dream.
I suppose I am infj or maybe infp, and yes I feel very happy and proud of myself
(without talking of all the bad stuffs, justice, jealousy, unprotective people and so on,
I had to go through all that crap before arriving where I am now).
No one was believing in my project. So if I have one single advise to give others : follow your own intuition and dreams.
All that matters is this.

And yes as an idealist I chose an activity that is advised for nf
(without thinking of mbti when I was planning to evolve on this path years ago).

41 - 60 of 60 Posts