Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How would you define the word "meaningful" and what would you say is meaningful about your lives? (not something meaningful in your lives, but about your lives)

Was deliberating on this throughout the summer and wanted to hear other INFJs opinion. I hope I was clear enough!

·
Registered
604 Posts
The quest for meaning is commonly regarded as one of the primary motivations in the lives of INFJs. Now as to what meaning is - that is a matter of numerous debates.

I think that the INFJ is gifted with talents for the discernment of meaning and for creating philiosophical structures for the study, application and comprehension of meaning. And I believe that both objective and subjective meaning exist in layers of supervenience. But I can't prove it.

I can hold forth at length on what I think meaning is and how it works. But ultimately due to its nature and the limits of human cognition I believe that some kinds of meaning won't be describable as matters of empirical inquiry. Meaning isn't totally defineable in an axiomatic system or calculable as a matter of formal logic. And that is because meaning is both fleeting in its apprehension and phenomenal in its experience. You can't prove what you can't precisely define. But you can experience things without definition. Some aspects of meaning you must live and experience to comprehend. So I feel like the comprehensive nature of meaning is beyond definition, but it is certainly a part of the human experience.

·
Registered
89 Posts
A meaningful life to me means that it has purpose. That purpose can be anything and as long as you're ok with it, and as long as it's socially acceptable, you should be fine.

As for my life (I'm kind of on the lower side right now) it's absolutely meaningless right now. I feel like a drone in this beehive of a world. But when my life was meaningful I think I was happy in making others happy, a girl in particular... hehe

I think the movie "The Pursuit of Happiness" portrays this well.

·
Registered
604 Posts
But when my life was meaningful I think I was happy in making others happy, a girl in particular... hehe

I think the movie "The Pursuit of Happiness" portrays this well.
Oh, I see.

Been there.

May I ask how old you are?

·
Registered
68 Posts
To me, a meaningful life would be one that has purpose. Not only finding who you are and your niche in life, but also having an impact on others in a beneficial way (helping those who have lost their way).

·
Registered
604 Posts
haha I'm 22, still a youngin!
Ahh my friend. I am afraid you may be making a mistake that I did in my life from time to time, which is confusing the word purpose with the word horny.

Don't worry. By the time you are my age it is easier to distinguish the two, because pursuing purpose will be the only one of the endeavors that bears fruit :)

And just in case you are still deluding yourself into thinking that serving this other person (probably a young lady) was an exercise in altruism - Google the term Pygmalion Project.

[I'm kidding you slightly.]

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
I think each person creates their own meaning in life, that there isn't one absolute standard floating our there somewhere.

What we find meaningful is really something that gets reinforced by our brain biochemistry - when we hit that point we experience a mental high but also feel that our life is balanced and running the way it should be. This happens when all of your main cognitive functions are being utilized. For example, I don't find experimenting with drugs as meaningful. Even though I might experience a mental high from it, it is only my Se that is getting satisfied but my other three functions are not engaged. If I am just spending days on my own reading, learning, and seeing patterns, my Ni is getting satisfied but not my Fe or other functions. Once again I feel this lacks meaning. If I am just socializing with other people and trying to make them feel good about themselves, this stimulates only my Fe, but not Ti or Ni really, so again I feel something is lacking.

I think if an INFJ picks something to do that is stimulating to all 3 or even 4 functions in life, he or she will feel like finally being at home, finally being where he or she is supposed to be, or in other words finally fulfilling his or her life's meaning.

·
Registered
428 Posts
How would you define the word "meaningful" and what would you say is meaningful about your lives? (not something meaningful in your lives, but about your lives)

Was deliberating on this throughout the summer and wanted to hear other INFJs opinion. I hope I was clear enough!
To me meaning is subjective, intensely personal and varies from person to person since we are all unique and have different motivations. A meaningful life is one where you want to wake up each day for a purpose that keeps you going forward despite the challenges you face, in trying to fulfill the goal or task that you have set for yourself.

I suppose, if I got your question right, that my life is meaningful because I know what I want to do, where I want to go and what I have to do to get there. Most importantly I know why I am doing it and waking up each day to fulfill that purpose which I have chosen for myself.

·
Registered
264 Posts

Meaningful : To somehow leave this planet... better than I found it. Whether that "which is left" .... is physical, emotional or spiritual.

The older I get, I realize that it doesn't have to be something huge. (Those percieved "small things" appear to have a better ripple effect than the huge ones.) --- A one day at a time attitude.

- A gift of a smile to someone whom needs it.
- A check on an Elder.
- A helping hand with the lawn, the door, etc.

The next thing you know... you may have "set the pace" for the day, the week, the month, the year. :wink:

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
I have been thinking about this question for a very long time. In the past, I have found meaning in another person, until I finally realized that you have to find meaning with something inside of you first before you can share that with someone. Still looking for my own meaning, but it's progressing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts