Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an ISFJ artist, but relate to FiSe way more than SiFe. I don't relate to Si or Fe, but I am ISFJ. I don't get why the type descriptions come close to who I am, but says I am this way because of functions I don't relate to. It just doesn't make any sense. It's like type descriptions and the cognitive functions don't match right or something.

·
Banned
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I'm just saying I'm an ISFJ, but I'm not SiFe. I don't want people to hate me for it or give me a hard time about because I'm trying to be forthright. I was wondering if there were similar people too.

·
Banned
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you are Fi and Se dominant/aux, you should be an ISFP. I'm not sure why you are claiming to be an ISFJ then? However, you do know any type can be artists, not just ISFP. And we all have Fi/Se as individuals as well, just that they are not as pronounced.
My test results are always J>P. I don't know why if I test ISFJ that I have to prefer any particular functions. It doesn't make sense.IDK.

I'm really conscientous.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Lots of tests don't test the right things. You can't test for 'J'-ness. The J is only an identifier that tells you if your top extraverted funtion is a percieving function or a judging function. While there's some general tendencies within J-types and P-types, those don't actually say all that much.

Honestly: if you associate with those cognitive functions, I'm pretty sure you are an ISFP, rather than an ISFJ. You might be an ISFP that likes structure and likes helping people, but those qualities are actually pretty common among ISFP's.

Either that, or you might be misinterpreting the functions. The descriptions can be rather vague and can often be interpreted in different ways. That's one of the big weaknesses of the system. We rely in large part on introspection and observing behaviour to try to find the type that is behind all of that. Language often seems insufficient to cover all of the subtleties of human personality.

·
Banned
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Lots of tests don't test the right things. You can't test for 'J'-ness. The J is only an identifier that tells you if your top extraverted funtion is a percieving function or a judging function. While there's some general tendencies within J-types and P-types, those don't actually say all that much.

Honestly: if you associate with those cognitive functions, I'm pretty sure you are an ISFP, rather than an ISFJ. You might be an ISFP that likes structure and likes helping people, but those qualities are actually pretty common among ISFP's.

Either that, or you might be misinterpreting the functions. The descriptions can be rather vague and can often be interpreted in different ways. That's one of the big weaknesses of the system. We rely in large part on introspection and observing behaviour to try to find the type that is behind all of that. Language often seems insufficient to cover all of the subtleties of human personality.
Thanks, but this doesn't make any sense to me.

I think what I am getting at is that I am not spontaneous, like Kiersey's ISFP description. It doesn't make sense to go from ISFJ to the cognitive functions SiFeTiNe. It doesn't make sense.

The tests do test for J/P, which correlates strongly with big five conscientiousness. Those are facts.

I'm not questioning my test results or what functions I relate to. I was wondering if anyone else tests ISFJ, is an artist, and has similar problems.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Thanks, but this doesn't make any sense to me.

I think what I am getting at is that I am not spontaneous, like Kiersey's ISFP description. It doesn't make sense to go from ISFJ to the cognitive functions SiFeTiNe. It doesn't make sense.

The tests do test for J/P, which correlates strongly with big five conscientiousness. Those are facts.

I'm not questioning my test results or what functions I relate to. I was wondering if anyone else tests ISFJ, is an artist, and has similar problems.
If you relate to Fi-Se over Si-Fe you that determines you are ISFP better than the test does. The functions determine the type because the type is just a label for your cognitive functions.

And Fi-Se is so different from Si-Fe that there's no way you could be and ISFJ and be Fi-Se.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
I am an INFP e6 artist and often test J, while my husband is an ISFJ e9 and exhibits many P traits - he is more spontaneous than I am in terms of actions and choices. However, he is a much more linear and organized thinker, while I am more whimsical and impulsive.

If you are indeed an ISFJ 4w3, it may be that your MBTI type is quite influenced by your enneatype. I would expect an ISFJ 4w3 to be particularly introspective, melancholy, emotionally turbulent, aesthetic, and sensitive as compared with other ISFJs. I was going to say check out Socionics but it looks like you already have. To me Socionics Si/Fe ISFp sounds more like the way you seem to experience them.

What exactly is it within Se and Fi that seem to resonate more with you than Si and Fe?

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
I'll just keep it at 'type descriptions can be very misleading'. Lots of the things that are written in those descriptions are about behaviour instead of personality. Don't forget that those descriptions describe hundreds of millions of people at the same time. It's impossible to be accurate for everyone. That's what the cognitive functions are for. They describe brain processes, rather than common behaviours.

That said: I see that your intention isn't to talk about all of this, but to find out if there are others with similar experiences. I think it might be hard to find others like that, since your experiences don't really fit with common understanding of the theories. As a teacher I just jumped at the chance to explain stuff, it's kind of hard-wired into me. I'll back off now and leave you to it.

·
Banned
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am an INFP e6 artist and often test J, while my husband is an ISFJ e9 and exhibits many P traits - he is more spontaneous than I am in terms of actions and choices. However, he is a much more linear and organized thinker, while I am more whimsical and impulsive.

If you are indeed an ISFJ 4w3, it may be that your MBTI type is quite influenced by your enneatype. I would expect an ISFJ 4w3 to be particularly introspective, melancholy, emotionally turbulent, aesthetic, and sensitive as compared with other ISFJs. I was going to say check out Socionics but it looks like you already have. To me Socionics Si/Fe ISFp sounds more like the way you seem to experience them.

What exactly is it within Se and Fi that seem to resonate more with you than Si and Fe?
I don't think I can explain it very well. It is a feeling, like one just resonates more than the other. I am not very emotionally expressive, but feel pretty deeply. I can express it through art, but the art very focused and not trying to exaggerate emotions. Some people might not know that there is so much feeling behind the things I do. I don't really care for group dynamics, but care very much for ethics and treating each other as human beings. Empathy is important. I'm pretty set against people mistreating others and wish people were more empathetic to the individual. I can be very dedicated to institutions and the like, but resist them if they are crushing to the individual. So I feel I use Fi more.

With Si vs Se idk. Past experiences and new experiences are both important to me. I don't like to feel stuck in the same place for very long, but will do it out of a sense of responsibility and dedication, especially if my actions affect someone else. I try avoid being too flighty even though I desire to be. It just weighs on my conscience and keeps me from acting as much as I would like.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
I don't think I can explain it very well. It is a feeling, like one just resonates more than the other. I am not very emotionally expressive, but feel pretty deeply. I can express it through art, but the art very focused and not trying to exaggerate emotions. Some people might not know that there is so much feeling behind the things I do. I don't really care for group dynamics, but care very much for ethics and treating each other as human beings. Empathy is important. I'm pretty set against people mistreating others and wish people were more empathetic to the individual. I can be very dedicated to institutions and the like, but resist them if they are crushing to the individual. So I feel I use Fi more.
What this sounds like to me is you have sp higher than soc in your instincts. I see why you are saying it seems more Fi-ish but I don't see anything in particular that couldn't align with Fe as well.

With Si vs Se idk. Past experiences and new experiences are both important to me. I don't like to feel stuck in the same place for very long, but will do it out of a sense of responsibility and dedication, especially if my actions affect someone else. I try avoid being too flighty even though I desire to be. It just weighs on my conscience and keeps me from acting as much as I would like.
The movement factor indeed does sound Se-ish, though my ISFJ is quite the mover and shaker himself. I have always seen SJs as "active" types - Ss in general as active types. People who like real world results. Si references past to present, but it is just a cognitive pattern... it does not determine that you always want things the same.

And perhaps you are simply a person on the borderline of ISFP and ISFJ. There has to be a boundary where E and I converge, for both S and F. Maybe you approach both.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I'm an ISFJ and also an artist. However, I'm clueless with all the SiFe FeFiFo stuff so you'll have to explain your conundrum in layman's terms. :)

Reactions: ThoughtShadows

·
Registered
86 Posts
By mbti letters you might be Introverted sensing Feeling judger. Your functions does not match ISFJ function stacks. This is normal. Function stacks does not work perfectly with mbti types a lot of the time. I am ISFJ by letters but I took a function test turns out I lead with Te.

·
Banned
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm an ISFJ and also an artist. However, I'm clueless with all the SiFe FeFiFo stuff so you'll have to explain your conundrum in layman's terms. :)
It took me a while to understand, lol. It does all sound like a bunch of mumbo jumbo. I just want to meet similar people. It shouldn't be this confusing,lol.

·
Registered
86 Posts
If you are Fi and Se dominant/aux, you should be an ISFP. I'm not sure why you are claiming to be an ISFJ then? However, you do know any type can be artists, not just ISFP. And we all have Fi/Se as individuals as well, just that they are not as pronounced.
The dichotomies and cognitive function i kinda feel are separate. The arguments will go on forever by mbti letters he is ISFJ but by functions he is ISFP. Mbti letters vs functions is a nightmare

·
Banned
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The dichotomies and cognitive function i kinda feel are separate. The arguments will go on forever by mbti letters he is ISFJ but by functions he is ISFP. Mbti letters vs functions is a nightmare
That is what I think too. I have the way I test and then descriptions I relate to. Yeah, just because I test as ISFJ, doesn't mean I have to or should relate to certain functions. If I don't, I don't. End of discussion :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts