Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ISFJ's

My younger brother is an ISFJ. he is just over 20 years old - ~2 years younger than I am.

He's wanting to get a 2 year certificate and become like an auto body worker. Is this something that you guys think would fit an ISFJ well?

I'm worried because I have a buddy who worked in the car industry and it is totally the opposite of how he is (and really how I am)...cut throat, rude, aggressive, etc.

Its nearly impossible to get an opinion out of him; with me he's better than most just because we grew up so close and its still hard. He gets pushed around more than me even and I don't see him thriving in the environment. BUT ...its what he likes to do. so in that sense I'm all for it. and one strange thing about him I've noticed is EVERYONE seems to like him. even if he never speaks a word to them, so that could play to his advantage.

Our mom and some of his buddies think he should get into some wood working. He seems to be pretty skilled at that. I definitely can say that he's 10000x better at mechanical things and working with hands. the only area I can compete with him is taking apart computers. When he was younger he'd just have stuff 1/2 taken apart all over his (very clean) room.

I made him take the MBTI last year and have subtly urged him to do some research on it. I don't think he has though.

What are your thoughts? do you think the car industry is a good place for him? If I wanted to urge him to do some research on MBTI and on a career, what would be a good way to do it? (I remember when I was out of HS, i really had NO idea what I wanted to do. I tried to follow my interests at the time and it lead me to a dead end) ...I have yet to figure out the best way to get him up and moving. His responses are as minimal as they come LOL

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
I'm not of very much help here, but I think you should encourage him if that's what he'd like to do. Let him find out on his own if the car industry is something that he likes, if it isn't, he could just go do something else! Maybe then he would research the MBTI, even though I wouldn't put too much trust into it as far as choosing a career goes.

And if you want him try out the MBTI I think you have to make it look interesting to him somehow. Make him want to pick it up! Like you tell him of this cool café place where he could join and talk to other people of the same type:cool:.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

even though I wouldn't put too much trust into it as far as choosing a career goes.
I agree, but its a great staring point for him. I just see so much of how I was at 18-20...just jumping blind into something not really knowing much about it or knowing much or anything about the potential options available, ya know? I don't want him making the same bonless mistakes I've made. but maybe that's my issue...maybe this isn't a boneless mistake from his end. i mean worse comes to worse he learns and grows from it...right? If he can get a good position somewhere when he graduates he'd no doubt be the hardest worker ever. that kid works. wow :crazy:

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
I just see so much of how I was at 18-20...just jumping blind into something not really knowing much about it or knowing much or anything about the potential options available, ya know?
Boy, do I know!:crazy:

i mean worse comes to worse he learns and grows from it...right?
Right, sometimes you just have to try something out and learn from it. You can't prepare for everything and MBTI would only get you so far, anyways. You stand by and encourage him, support him if he needs your support. IMO.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts