Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of curiosity, as kids, did any of you ISFJ ever feel a lil bit older or smarter than everyone else? I definitely rememeber being in kindergarten and preschool, thinking of everyone as kids and i always felt like my mind was much older than the rest of me....up until i hit high school and started taking pseo classes...

I recently talked to my boyfriend about it, an INFP, and he just called me weird lol

:mellow: so...was it just me? is it common amongst all types or does it just have to do with ISFJs?

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
At least I felt that way! A lot of plays were not for me, especially the "imaginative kinds". I was into more competitive games like monopoly or chess, while everyone else wanted to play mother, father, child:tongue:. Solo-sports/games basically. So maaaybe it's partly because ISFJs usually have bad imagination?

Being an introvert I wasn't as loud as many others which could add to the feeling- but introverts aren't more mature than extraverts.
I was more J-like and organized as a child. Guess that made me feel more mature- when everyone else was "fooling around".

Having a dominant sensing function probably accounts to a lot.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At least I felt that way! A lot of plays were not for me, especially the "imaginative kinds". I was into more competitive games like monopoly or chess, while everyone else wanted to play mother, father, child:tongue:. Solo-sports/games basically. So maaaybe it's partly because ISFJs usually have bad imagination?

Being an introvert I wasn't as loud as many others which could add to the feeling- but introverts aren't more mature than extraverts.
I was more J-like and organized as a child. Guess that made me feel more mature- when everyone else was "fooling around".

Having a dominant sensing function probably accounts to a lot.
:proud: thanks for replying lol i was starting to feel alone on that topic ^-^'
but yeah! I never really cared much for playing mother, father, child when it was popular in 2nd grade :crazy: i used to find it so weird to play...but the strange thing is that i have a really really good imagination! Like...if you've ever watched Scrubs? How JD often drifts off, imagining something that someone said...I do that a lot :laughing:

I wonder if it has anything to do with how often i was left to myself as a kid... My mom would be off at work and my aunt would leave me alone in a room to watch tv and i would get bored after a couple hours of barney and change it to a documentary and watch...and would sometimes just turn the tv off and think about philosophical questions and invent things like a truck that scooped up snow, melted it, then used the heated water vapor to fuel itself....idk lol i may have just been a weird evil genius kid...but i guess i was just wondering if there was anyone like me on here ^-^'

I guess the reason why i was looking into me being an ISFJ as a reason for feeling superior in a way to the other kids was cuz i had seen a few people mentioning that ISFJs have a feeling of superiority and confidence that aren't always as prominent in other types and it made me remember my childhood. lol since then, my self confidence has kinda been beaten to a pulp and i'm kinda lacking in it now a days...

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I think this is actually an SJ thing rather than just an ISFJ thing. There's a thread about this in the ISTJ forum, and I personally think (and have read) that ESTJ's feel this the most. ISFJ's are very responsible and want to please authority, but they also have a certain sensitivity to them and usually don't thrive in leadership positions. ESTJ's (and to a degree, ISTJ's) don't have these issues as strongly.

However, I think it's something that generally rings true for all SJ's. We're organized, rule-followers, responsible, hard-working, and diligent. This comes through even as kids.

But for me, I also feel very childlike, dependent and innocent a lot of times, too. So at least for me, it's also a bit of a mix.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But for me, I also feel very childlike, dependent and innocent a lot of times, too. So at least for me, it's also a bit of a mix.
somewhere along my childhood, while babysitting me, my aunt told me about how kids always wanna grow up and adults always wish they were younger and it led me to want to stay a kid and value my youth and since then, my mind has been a bit younger than i physically am....i mean i can definitely act mature and responsible at times, but i've often been mistaken for a younger age and told that i have the mind of a 5 year old kid lol i wonder if it has anything to do with how often i smile and how imaginitive i can get...

I think this is actually an SJ thing rather than just an ISFJ thing. There's a thread about this in the ISTJ forum, and I personally think (and have read) that ESTJ's feel this the most.
:blushed: do you think you could find it or give me an idea on what to look for in the thread title? i'm curious about it

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
somewhere along my childhood, while babysitting me, my aunt told me about how kids always wanna grow up and adults always wish they were younger and it led me to want to stay a kid and value my youth and since then, my mind has been a bit younger than i physically am....i mean i can definitely act mature and responsible at times, but i've often been mistaken for a younger age and told that i have the mind of a 5 year old kid lol i wonder if it has anything to do with how often i smile and how imaginitive i can get...
Yeah, I think in some ways this is an ISFJ thing. We tend to be pretty sheltered. That's because our dominant Si makes us want to keep things the same, and our F side sometimes makes us sensitive and can contribute to shyness. It's not true across the board, of course, but I think ISFJ's in general have a certain child-like quality. (I think INFP's sometimes have that some too).

Happyfacesmiles said:
:blushed: do you think you could find it or give me an idea on what to look for in the thread title? i'm curious about it
http://personalitycafe.com/istj-forum-duty-fulfillers/34708-feel-more-mature-than-others-during-childhood.html

That's the one for ISTJ's.

I think the part about ESTJ's was something I read in a book...forgot which one.

Reactions: Happyfacesmiles

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Yeah I can relate to this.... and I will try to explain without sounding stupid... uummm.... when I first started school I never really made friends but other kids made friends with me.. except my best friend who I carefully selected myself. :p By the time I was eight I was the one that was always being loud and causing a disturbance.. all the other kids were busy with the work which I found boring. I was removed from the class because they thought I was not coping and put in a separate class for catch up... but I would finish my work quick and then help the others. I didn't last long there and kinda missed it... it was a smaller class and I got to help others more readily. I don't want to go into that too much but lets just say I knew the deputy principal really well :-/ ...well until she died. :-\
I started sitting by myself during lunch at one point and clearly remember a teacher coming up to me and telling me I wasn't allowed to and that I should sit with the others even though I wanted to be alone :S
I had two older brothers but from the age of nine until twelve whenever my parents when out and left us alone I was the one in charge and if anything needed to be done while they were out it was me.
When I was 11 I decided I wanted to coach an under ten's basketball team but after the phone call and when I told my mum I needed her to drive me to the stadium she reacted with shock and told me no way. Looking back I wasn't much older that the league I was interested in coaching but at the time... :S
by 12 I was a sports captain and well known for sports being on most of the inter school teams. I can't even remember if we won anything which means I either didn't care about that side of it or we did really bad lols. By high school I felt I had more in common with people a year above and two years above and hung out with them more.. until they finished school and I was left alone so I left school early.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I can so relate to all of this. It's probably got something to do with the fact that I am, frankly, "smarter" than the other kids around me. At least, that's what my report and the "Dux of Year x" certificate say. I skipped a grade and because of my birthday am around two years younger than the rest of my year, and one year younger at the least.

It's funny, though. I don't feel like the 'kid' at all, I feel like I'm working on pretty much the same level as everyone around me. I don't feel younger than them at all.

If anything, I feel like I'm growing up too quickly, and the downside of going up a grade is that there's a year of your life less before you have to go out into the real world. My ISTJ friend shares this sentiment, so we act childish as much as we can.

That's another thing. We're so childish at times, yet at the same time we're some of the most mature & responsible people we know. How does that work? :confused:

Ehh, I'll stop rambling now.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Couple interesting things here. 1) Totally feel ya on the feeling older thing, as a kid. I think that comes from the SJ sense of propriety (which was pointed out) 2) The being able to be childish too (which seems contradictory), totally makes sense. I think that comes from the ISFJ lead functions of Si and Fe. We can pick up on the behavior of others with the Si and then feel for how it makes them feel through the Fe and that enables us and gives us the desire to duplicate the behavior that others may value. Like someone brought up the uncle pointing out the value of enjoying youth. Value change picked up from the ISFJ ability to sympathize and adopt new attitudes through that sympathy.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
In primary school I was constantly told that I was intelligent. I worked hard in school and did really well. I was mature for my age... I swear I was an extreme ISTJ as a kid. :D Or at least had a much more developed Ti.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:proud: yay!

lol maybe i'm easily impressed, but this is all really cool..:happy: a lot of what you guys shared, i could definitely relate to...

@Teddy: lol my friends like to tease me about how sheltered i am ^-^' ...and my boyfriend and i are always told we're too childish lol

@ hiccups24-7: first off, :) i like your name lol... and people tend to make friends with me, but i've chosen a couple of my friends too... :laughing: and my family never really let me act out on my feeling older, but i definitely used to watch my cousins...i am the oldest amongst them though... =) what sports do you play?

@krwheel:
The being able to be childish too (which seems contradictory), totally makes sense. I think that comes from the ISFJ lead functions of Si and Fe. We can pick up on the behavior of others with the Si and then feel for how it makes them feel through the Fe and that enables us and gives us the desire to duplicate the behavior that others may value. Like someone brought up the uncle pointing out the value of enjoying youth. Value change picked up from the ISFJ ability to sympathize and adopt new attitudes through that sympathy.
I think i'll definitely be pondering about this for a while...

@Aquacolum, my friends and i are the same way! :D

@Seeker, me too :)

i think i should pick up some psychology/myer briggs books sometime...

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I can relate to the mixed sentiment: SJness, but also a childlike element - I think my Si+Fe also allowed my to recognise and reproduce when somthing I did was considered of worth.

·
Registered
29 Posts
When i was a child, i was very weird, how my aunt said.
Firstly, for friends i liked to tell some fantasy stories, but it was deep for me what somebody is listening that what i am creating in words :)
How much i remember, that a lot of time i was alone doing a lot of things. I liked travel to unknown places for me. I found that it was easier me to tell untruth story, than to tell something what's happend. I have had a lot of friends, but acctually i have had more free time spending alone then my friends, because my mom was working from early morning till late evening and i have no home lock being times, because i liked to be outside, nobody stopped me :blushed:
To see world in freely mind, being not locked down in real people thoughts was making me so weird and intelligent in some situations. I was, and now i am a very quick learner in things what i am understand :) Oh, and i remember the time, then i was having talking with more aged friends :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm not sure how this falls into place in any way, but when I was a kid, I always liked making up stories and drawing them... but it never occured to me to put words on them. But I remember the story. Something about a resurrected skeleton of a knight (from a video game) who leaves Hello Kitty after their tea party to find his nemesis, the wizard who killed but resurrected him (still from the game). Hello Kitty is worried sick, not knowing where he went. I'd tell the story to anyone who asked for it.

Like you, my aunt was left to take care of me while mom and dad were away at work. I was a quiet kid they say and easy to take care of. They would just let me watch tv and that was it. Mostly, kids approached me first. I don't like too much quiet though, like I always wanted to have something to do, like read or draw. I don't remember having those cool ideas though, the one with the truck ice scooper. ('v')d I just... kind of... eat my Child Craft books (non-fiction picture books) without really putting them together so much as I would with Sir Daniel Fortesque and Hello Kitty.

Did I feel smarter? I didn't really care about being smarter as much as following the rules and doing what I was expected to do. But that's what got me merits for good grades and good behavior. And I never really noticed those kinds of merits until they told me. I only liked to please my parents and guardians. They were and still are good to me. And I respect people I'm dependent on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts