Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the experience like? I'd like the bad and the good if you would please :laughing:

In my house, my husband is ISFJ and my son is ENTP. The good.....our son is very entertaining to my husband and really knows how to make him smile. My husband is proud of his intelligence. The bad....our son's lack of discipline drives my husband crazy and he hates that he constantly has to repeat himself.

What's it like your world interacting with an ENTP?

·
Registered
545 Posts
isfjs worry too much...its annoying

but i love em

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
From my roommate's perspective -

Good:
Creativity, excitement, interesting insights, energy, sarcastic or bombastic humor.

Bad:
Selfish (or self-interested), disregards most rules, outspoken, DGAF about conventions, questions everything, argumentative, insensitive.

·
Registered
93 Posts
...The timing of this thread is hilarious...

So, just yesterday, I figured out that my youngest brother is most definitely an ENTP. It shouldn't have come as much of a surprise that he's exactly opposite me, we've been at odds since forever and can never agree on anything.

The hard part is that I, my INFJ sister, and my untyped mom are all most definitely Feelers, and we have to deal with my brother's Thinking. I also have a younger brother who is a lot like my ENTP brother, but more mature, and an untyped dad.

To explain more, I'm 22 and the oldest, he's 15 and the youngest. Already a rough age, I understand, which makes it all the worse when we Feelers in the family see him disregarding us, arguing with us just to argue, not seeming to care about what we do for him, and presenting his logical Thought-out answer to something, but his answer runs counter to what we know of the situation.

He says he takes pleasure in his ability to manipulate people, his ability to lie "without lying", and that's been a bit tough on us.

However, now that we know it really DOES stem from a fundamental difference in how we see the world, we just have to make him interested in the other types and what makes them tick so he can't claim ignorance as to how we think and feel.

Will that change him? Not likely. But now will we be able to research how to possibly produce peace and harmony in the household? Definitely a possibility.

Oh, and you want the good, too? Definitely passionate when he gets into something, very protective in certain situations, can be very smart, when his smart-mouth doesn't run faster than his head. A leader, and a very convincing person.

·
Registered
545 Posts
the world and his drives and visions are very antagonizing at this point. he lives in boundaries which u may be related to. take his view of society seriously and get him to bring out his real beliefs in arguments...not just what is needed to win. do anything and everything to foster his confidence and self esteem. he wont be praising jesus much in his life if thats an issue...ur just going to have to drop that....just make sure hes being himself at work and at school because being fake will drive him up a wall as well. tell him how u feel...very directly...and if the way u feel is entirely based on dogma...then change(thats what isfjs have to do in order to mature anyways) because ull just run into a brick wall

if i seem beligerent then im sorry...i dont really know the situation

·
Registered
289 Posts
From my roommate's perspective -

Good:
Creativity, excitement, interesting insights, energy, sarcastic or bombastic humor.

Bad:
Selfish (or self-interested), disregards most rules, outspoken, DGAF about conventions, questions everything, argumentative, insensitive.
How can "questions everythig" be bad? :) You gotta question things to understand them and also for them to improve^^What world we would live in if no one questioned anything^^

·
Registered
191 Posts
How can "questions everythig" be bad? :) You gotta question things to understand them and also for them to improve^^What world we would live in if no one questioned anything^^
I'm not sure about AirMarionette, but philosophical, scientific and creative questioning I understand/value.

It just gets irritating at times if someone question(s) your decisions frequently (usually in a position of authority), especially if you're feeling stressed out and you've already asked them to stop once. It's hard to process when you're feeling overwhelmed with Fe and feels like a personal jab at you. Not that you can't question us, just do it when we've calmed down so we can be more objective about it.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts

I think this is a classic example of the difference between having dom Ne and dom Si. I actually just did an extensive video chat with an ENTP PerC member and we touched on all kinds of differences between ENTPs and ISFJs, and it was fascinating for both of us to look at in detail how the two types often have very opposite needs. It's interesting how what stresses out one type is exactly what the other type needs.

As @SimpleSauropod said, I think one big aspect is that Js (particularly SJs) have a desire to get things done and finished. We feel a certain amount of stress when things still have to be done, and we get an immense amount of peace and satisfaction out of completing something and having it settled. For us, it's more about the end result that it is the process.

As I learned in my video chat, Ps often don't have this same desire. For Ps, it's more about the process. NPs in particular focus and care so much more about the underlying reasons behind something rather than details of the physical aspect of it. When this is combined with the Ti that NTPs have, it results in an NTP wanting to stretch out processes as long as possible, continually tweaking them and understanding everything just right. As I learned, ENTPs seek to infinitely generate possibilities and explore them.

I think this shows the strengths and the weaknesses of the types. When an Si-dom gets too controlled by it, they get stuck in ruts, they don't try anything new, and they don't question something out of a desire to stay in their comfort zone. When an Ne-dom gets too controlled by it, they don't ever complete anything or get anything done...it's not practical.

So ideally there would be a sort of compromise on both sides, and both would be able to help the other improve in their area of weakness.

Basically, it's about different types having different needs. If we don't understand, accept, value and respect the needs of those very different than us, and if we always look at it strictly from our own lens, they're always going to seem crazy to us because based on our needs, we wouldn't see any reason for someone else to act as they do.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Two of my distant family members are ISFJ and ENTP, the ISFJ woman being much older than the ENTP girl.

They get along ok except that sometimes ENTP tries to emotionally rally up the ISFJ by behaving like a jerk. The ISFJ reacts immediately, they have a fight, later they make up. This has been the pattern of relating between them for years.

·
Registered
355 Posts
My mum is an ISFJ and I'm ENTP/INTP, well I was more ENTP in my teens years. How can I deal with her? She doesn't listen to my views or take my points into account. We always arguing and she hardly understands me, now I stop the discussions whenever it turns into a debate because I know my mum will cut me off just when I get to the good parts of the argument.

Reactions: Nirel

·
Registered
191 Posts
My mum is an ISFJ and I'm ENTP/INTP, well I was more ENTP in my teens years. How can I deal with her? She doesn't listen to my views or take my points into account. We always arguing and she hardly understands me, now I stop the discussions whenever it turns into a debate because I know my mum will cut me off just when I get to the good parts of the argument.
Is she an unhealthy ISFJ? If she's feeling stressed, she may not be in the mood for arguments. She can't process the information at the moment because she needs to get her feelings sorted first.

If you can, catch her when she's most calm. Let her relax in that state for awhile, as disturbing her might make her react angrily. Anyway, after you think you've given her enough time, approach her then. Tell her you're not trying to be disrespect her by bringing it up again. That you care about her, but the topic is really important to you and that you'd appreciate it if she really listened to what you had to say. Then, bring up your topic. It'd help if you brought source material papers, books or articles on the internet that back up your argument that way she's can't easily hand wave anything saying it's not in the realms of reality. If you can, bring up practical points of whatever it is that you're arguing for. I think ISFJs like things that are practical and that they can see would help improve a situation.

Be respectful and if she still doesn't agree with your position don't get mad at her for it. That shows to her that you weren't taking her seriously. Just nod and say that you appreciate her listening to you. Showing respect (not being condescending either) everytime you disagree might get her to change her mind. I know I feel guilty denying someone whose clearly being more mature about it than I am.

Anyway, hope that helps. Definitely not fool proof and on some things people can just be extremely stubborn on. In which case, you might just have to accept that she won't change her views. Then you'll just have to let her know you're probably going to think or do whatever it is that you believe anyway and you hope she can accept that. Good luck.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I am an ISFJ. My younger brother is an ENTP. One of my best friends is an ENTP. My older sister is an INTP. The friendships are great. Me and my brother have so many inside jokes and are preformed almost always perfectly on beat. We have an understanding, seeing as we shared a room for fourteen years. Me and my sister understand each other very well and give interesting insight. My friend is someone I can always rely on to get me out of the apartment and have fun. The downside, I do not understand how my brother lives in what is now his room, nor do I understand how I ever lived there; it's so messy, and the downstairs too. My brother needs a thorough disciplining in cleaning up. But that's now my job. And then we prioritize differently. He's the only one that lives with our mom right now and when I go back, mom always exclaims how she "now has someone to talk to. It saddens me a little to think that Mom is "ignored" like that. If she wasn't an INTJ, I'd worry, but she says that she doesn't mind.

Anyway, it's a great friendship as long as living spaces are kept distant.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
no, but my uncle is an ENTP and im convinced one of my close friends boyfriend is an ENTP.

GOOD:
very funny, good story tellers, creative, energetic, never a dull moment
BAD: dont have a good sense of personal space, can be over-bearing, can be overly flamboyant and self absorbed

·
Registered
355 Posts
Is she an unhealthy ISFJ? If she's feeling stressed, she may not be in the mood for arguments. She can't process the information at the moment because she needs to get her feelings sorted first.

If you can, catch her when she's most calm. Let her relax in that state for awhile, as disturbing her might make her react angrily. Anyway, after you think you've given her enough time, approach her then. Tell her you're not trying to be disrespect her by bringing it up again. That you care about her, but the topic is really important to you and that you'd appreciate it if she really listened to what you had to say. Then, bring up your topic. It'd help if you brought source material papers, books or articles on the internet that back up your argument that way she's can't easily hand wave anything saying it's not in the realms of reality. If you can, bring up practical points of whatever it is that you're arguing for. I think ISFJs like things that are practical and that they can see would help improve a situation.

Be respectful and if she still doesn't agree with your position don't get mad at her for it. That shows to her that you weren't taking her seriously. Just nod and say that you appreciate her listening to you. Showing respect (not being condescending either) everytime you disagree might get her to change her mind. I know I feel guilty denying someone whose clearly being more mature about it than I am.

Anyway, hope that helps. Definitely not fool proof and on some things people can just be extremely stubborn on. In which case, you might just have to accept that she won't change her views. Then you'll just have to let her know you're probably going to think or do whatever it is that you believe anyway and you hope she can accept that. Good luck.
Thanks, she's normal. When she's clam she's fine but when she's angry, she just nags and when I say something back like give an explanation she ignores me.

·
Registered
167 Posts
no, but my uncle is an ENTP and im convinced one of my close friends boyfriend is an ENTP.

GOOD:
very funny, good story tellers, creative, energetic, never a dull moment
BAD: dont have a good sense of personal space, can be over-bearing, can be overly flamboyant and self absorbed
Wow we ENTP Sound so negativ, and the sad Thing is its mostly True. Well with Time will we Mature and be nice compagnions.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts