Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

I am trying to figure out whether I am an ISFJ, an ISTJ, or something else. I think I have overanalyzed the functions to the point where I feel like I can sort of relate to all four of the judging functions (Ti, Te, Fi, and Fe in some cases), so I am asking for your help. It would be particularly helpful if some of the ISTJs and ISFJs on this forum could weigh in their input (but others’ input will also be helpful.) Thanks so much for your help!

I definitely feel like Si is part of the core of my personality though--it feels so right.

Anyhow, I filled out this survey I found in personality cafe. Others have filled it out. I hope this helps you figure out more about who I am and can help you figure out my type.

1. When working on a project where do you place your emphasis? the process of putting it together? or the final product? (Do you experiment with your perspectives to create ideas? )
A: I focus on completing the final product. I worry so much about getting a result that works that I do not focus much on the process. I might just set to work with a plan of how to get everything done and have in mind all the details I need to check to make sure everything works.

2. Are you a realist? Are you more of a no nonsense type of person? (I find these people like to call bullshit on everything)
A: I think I am a realist because I will put effort into planning for the worst case scenarios. I think I am an optimistic pessimist in a sense because I am content with that I have. But I am still a pessimist at heart because I worry about things going wrong. I try to keep things real. I can call people on their bullshit I guess.

3. Would you say you make decisions quickly? or do you take a while coming to a conclusion, because you hope you're not missing some vital information that will change your mind?
A: I tend to put off decision making in some cases because I don't want to overanalyze the situation. I definitely want to make sure I am condering everything that needs to be considered, so I will go talk to others to help me arrive at a decision. But I still mostly wait until the end and go with whatever decision I have made.

4. Do you ever experience nostalgia? For instance being able to completely remember a mood of a past experience/time?
A: All the time.

5. Are you of the rebellious sort? The sort who rebels for no reason other than to rebel against authority?
A: No, I will only rebel if I feel as though my values have been compromised. I hardly got in trouble with my mother or my teachers when I was a child, since I always did what I was told. I think I have only rebelled once, and that was over a situation in work where I felt like I was being forced to treat people badly and do my work inefficiently.

6. When watching a film and critiquing it? Do you critique it based on details in the film, for instance on how you thought a certain portion of it was un-realistic (or something along those lines) or based on the idea or point they were trying to get across/how well they got it across? (It can be a combination of both sometimes too) (an example would be for example, critiquing Passion of the Christ, do you think the movies retarded because no one can live as long as he did with that much blood loss, or because of the fundamental errors the movie makes when trying to make its point, and the way it tries to connect the audience to that point?)
A: I am not really that critical of movies. The movies just have to have a good story line and good actors. If all of that is there, I will usually like a movie. I usually like movies with a dramatic story line--not a big fan of comedies or action movies.

7. When debating with others, do you ever get the feeling or state for that matter, that you can see where your opponent is coming from? For instance I have gotten into arguments over things I honestly don't believe (or could care less if it were true), but it all started when someone would tell me about a certain topic and how this certain stance is stupid. Then I would say well, I can see why they'd think that or how it could be possible, then they'd start arguing with me as if I had a stake in it.... Do you feel you do anything like that?
A: I don't like getting in arguments with others but will get in an argument if I feel that something is important enough to argue (usually if a statement violates my values I will engage in debate, or if I think something is being done inefficiently I may get into a debate). I may sympathize with an opponents' viewpoint if I can relate to it in some way, but I may not always be able to see where they are coming from.

8. Do you notice symbols in the world, do you ever try and wrap the symbol back to an idea that you believe?]
A: No.

9. Are you hurt by criticisms? Do you get personally offended when people try and criticize you? or are you thick skinned?
A: I can be very easily hurt by criticism, especially if it is not constructive. Or I can get hurt if someone who matters to me makes the criticism. I am thin-skinned.

10. Say for example your learning about cameras in school, would you be more inclined to go home right away and read a whole shit load on cameras so you feel confident in your knowledge of cameras? or would you feel perfectly comfortable when the teacher calls on people to come try it out, to just hop up there and start using it?
A: If I didn't know much about cameras I think I would read an instruction manual on cameras just to make sure that I kind of know what to do. I don't like not being prepared. Though if I were stressed out and had other more important work to do, I guess I would just try to use the camera on the spot in class.

11. When you are out do you worry about how people will interpret any action you take? (sort of in a seinfeld sort of way, where they over analyze actions people make, trying to find their true motivation) Do you feel a sort of pressure from this?
A: Not really, unless I say something awkard and stupid.

12. In a classroom setting do you ever find yourself helping other people out with projects or homework when you see their struggling? Do you do this to make yourself feel more comfortable?
A: I don't think I go out of my way to help others who are struggling, but I will certainly make an effort to help someone if he asks me for help or if he is a friend of mine. I don't do this to make my feel more comfortable, but rather because I feel like it's the right thing to do--helping others out in their time of need.

13. Do you find yourself ranting to your friends about how a certain something could have been done way easier? Or how someone went about doing something (anything like a project,work,etc.) was really stupid and you could have done it way better and in a more simple fashion?
A: Not really, unless the work someone is doing ends up affecting my job. I can get really angry if people do work inefficiently and it ends up having a negative impact on my job. Otherwise, I usually won't get involved enough to notice that people are doing things inefficiently if it doesn't directly affect my work--I'm not that critical.

14. how does your average day go in general,
A: I get up an hour before class and get some breakfast and then go to class. On Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, I am busy from 10AM-3PM (or 4PM on Wednesdays) with class) and a lunch break at 12PM. On Tuesdays and Thursdays I have class from 930-1215PM and then have lun nch. I have work on Mondays and Wednesdays so before work I will make sure to get some food, get a shower if necessary (I sometimes take a shower before bedtime, other times in the morning, other times in teh afternoon) and take a break for facebook and other stuff. After work is over I will work on homework and hang out with friends. On Tuesdays and thursdays I'll just work on work whenever I feel like it and hang out with friends. It depends on how much work I have--I'll get everything done on time.

I do feel like I need large blocks of time to concentrate on my work and I really don't like interruptions (unless I create them myself).

15. what things do you value the most,
A: Family and Friends, Work and School. I feel like I put my obligations first (so I definitely put work and school and extracurriculars first because I have obligations to do them, as well as doing anything I promise my friends I will do). If my friends or family members are having a crisis of course I will go by to help them out before doing work, but fun time hanging out with friends is not as much on my list of priorities.

16. what things regularly bug you,
A: Manipulative people.
People who try to kiss up to others. I think they lack authenticity and I'd rather them showing others who they really are. In addition, boys who try to hard to impress me--I'd rather see their true selves.
When people make harsh judgments without getting all their facts straight. Also, people who make harsh criticisms about others but don't appear to be just as harsh on themselves.
Arrogance.
People not being helpful to each other when they can accomodate each other's needs easily.

17. what do you value most in other people and what qualities do you find most repulsive in others,
A: In no particular order, I value in others: intelligence, loyalty, reliability, and helping others when they can help others in a time of need.

Repulsive – Bullying, arrogance, manipulation, selfishness, not caring if you are doing something to hurt someone or violate their values, laziness.

18. how do you evaluate people in general,
A: I am pretty accepting of other people and will have a good opinion of almost everyone, unless I end up accumulating a lot of facts through negative interactions with these people (or observations of these people in their interactions with others). Lately I have been working on trying to be less judgmental of others, because I got really badly hurt by some of the judgments people made about me by others. When it comes to the workplace I might evaluate people on how well they do their job based on how good their products are, but I would also be very care to take in subjective measures as well (like what factors might impact how someone's work turned out as it did). I have a hard time trying to evaluate people because I want to be sure of my judgments, and this can make me very wishy-washy.

19. how do you arrive at your decisions,
A: Sometimes I will make a decision because it feels right, but I don't always have a gut instinct. If it's a major decision I'll also try to weigh some pros and cons in my head and maybe talk to some people to get advice. If it's not that important I may just go with my desires. I guess it really depends on what type of a decision it is--like what grad school I decide to attend will be decided much diffrerently from how I decide to spend my days.

20. what factors are you most likely to pay attention to when deciding on things.
A: What feels right. How the decision will impact others. Cost could be a factor to consider for some decisions. I may try to check pros-and-cons and think about everything that the decision will impact, but sometimes I go overboard and analyze everything too much.

21. Any peculiarities that you have noticed about your personality?
Even though I definitely consider myself a judging type, I wonder if I truly am judging or whether I am perceiving. I need to plan things and practice them, because I am not comfortable doing them without practice, but at the same time I hate being bound by schedules of how I am going to do work each day. I also don't bother with a planner because I can keep everything organized in my head or in whatever notebook I happen to write something down in. I do have some internal organization like the perceivers do, but yet I don't see myself as a perceiver.
I also feel like I straddle the line between thinking and feeling.

22. Anything that makes you stand out from other people that you know?
A: My hair--it's golden brown with all these blond highlights, and yet it's all natural. I've never dyed my hair.

23. What do you yourself think are your strengths and weaknesses?
A: Strengths: Being reliable, Persistence to see through a job even when everything gets going really rough, strong attention to details, I genuinely care about others and their feelings and make an effort to help them when i can (though I DO NOT consider myself to be very good with other's feelings because I can have a hard time knowing what to say to them or I might do something insensitive unintentionally); organized for the most part.

Weaknesses: Not assertive--I'm passive until I explode at times--it's really something I need to work on; Too sensitive to criticism; I am not naturally a strong leader because I can be too wishy-washy and second guess myself and waver in my positions; catastrophizing about all the things that can go wrong,; lacking creativity at times; panicking when dealing with the unknown; trying to minimize the importance of my own feelings and trying to tell myself how I should feel, rather than dealing with the negative feelings.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Sorry for not responding to your answers to the survey. I'm short of time, and other people here do that better anyway.

I just wanted to post my observation that you seem to have been thinking some about what makes you stressed out how you react to stress. Going deeper there could also possibly be a way to identify you type.

Just very possibly, I'm leaning towards ISTJ, but don't listen to me. I don't put forward any reason for my judgement. :happy:

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
This is a tough call, especially because ISFJ's and ISTJ's have so much in common. A lot of the questions really only help to nail down the ISJ and dominant Si.

However, I'm leaning towards ISFJ because of these responses.

9. Are you hurt by criticisms? Do you get personally offended when people try and criticize you? or are you thick skinned?
A: I can be very easily hurt by criticism, especially if it is not constructive. Or I can get hurt if someone who matters to me makes the criticism. I am thin-skinned.

11. When you are out do you worry about how people will interpret any action you take? (sort of in a seinfeld sort of way, where they over analyze actions people make, trying to find their true motivation) Do you feel a sort of pressure from this?

12. In a classroom setting do you ever find yourself helping other people out with projects or homework when you see their struggling? Do you do this to make yourself feel more comfortable?
A: I don't think I go out of my way to help others who are struggling, but I will certainly make an effort to help someone if he asks me for help or if he is a friend of mine. I don't do this to make my feel more comfortable, but rather because I feel like it's the right thing to do--helping others out in their time of need.

People who try to kiss up to others. I think they lack authenticity and I'd rather them showing others who they really are. In addition, boys who try to hard to impress me--I'd rather see their true selves.
When people make harsh judgments without getting all their facts straight. Also, people who make harsh criticisms about others but don't appear to be just as harsh on themselves.
Arrogance.
People not being helpful to each other when they can accomodate each other's needs easily.

A: I am pretty accepting of other people and will have a good opinion of almost everyone, unless I end up accumulating a lot of facts through negative interactions with these people (or observations of these people in their interactions with others). Lately I have been working on trying to be less judgmental of others, because I got really badly hurt by some of the judgments people made about me by others. When it comes to the workplace I might evaluate people on how well they do their job based on how good their products are, but I would also be very care to take in subjective measures as well (like what factors might impact how someone's work turned out as it did). I have a hard time trying to evaluate people because I want to be sure of my judgments, and this can make me very wishy-washy.

20. what factors are you most likely to pay attention to when deciding on things.
A: What feels right. How the decision will impact others. Cost could be a factor to consider for some decisions. I may try to check pros-and-cons and think about everything that the decision will impact, but sometimes I go overboard and analyze everything too much.

Weaknesses: Not assertive--I'm passive until I explode at times--it's really something I need to work on; Too sensitive to criticism; I am not naturally a strong leader because I can be too wishy-washy and second guess myself and waver in my positions; catastrophizing about all the things that can go wrong,; lacking creativity at times; panicking when dealing with the unknown; trying to minimize the importance of my own feelings and trying to tell myself how I should feel, rather than dealing with the negative feelings.

ISTJ's can certainly be sensitive, but ISFJ's are known more for it. You seem to be showing more Fe than Te in some of these responses.

So it's hard to say for sure, but I would say ISFJ.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Teddy brings up many good points that I will consider in determining whether I am an ISFJ or an ISTJ. I kind of feel like I tagged myself as an ISTJ, even if I am unsure of how much Te I use, because I definitely relate some to the Fi-descriptions. But maybe my moral values can come from elsewhere than Fi.

Even though I definitely feel like Feeling is a big part of my personality, I do have some trouble deciding whether I use more Fi than Fe. I think my focus on trying to be authentic and wanting others to be authentic may come from Fi. That's why I hate it when I see kiss-ups and manipulative people. The truth will always win over tact if I am in a situation where I have to make a critique, although thankfully I am not normally that critical of others. I think I would feel a lot worse if I did something that violated my values than i would if I were to not stop to help someone, which I also think is a manifestation of Fi. I also don't really put that much emphasis on how others would feel, so much as whether I feel I have an obligation to do something for others. I'm not sure if I end up in an Si-Fi loop a lot of the time when dealing with other's feelings.

I don't know if there's a good way to determine whether I use much Te though. I definitely feel like my entire education is Te-oriented and forces one to think in a Te-ish manner. I would prefer a job where I only had to make judgments based on objective rules and didn't have to deal with reconciling people's feelings, because dealign too much with feelings of others would drain me. I do know it is very necessary to take feelings into account, though. I am pretty sure I would make a horrible counselor or nurse or nurturer, though I would try my best--I wuld get drained by dealing with feelings for too long.

I guess the questions I have are, a) How do I tell Fe from Fi (remembering that I ahve read up too much on the functions and may get confused) and b) How do I decide whether I use Te a lot?

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
I guess the questions I have are, a) How do I tell Fe from Fi (remembering that I ahve read up too much on the functions and may get confused) and b) How do I decide whether I use Te a lot?
Which exercise is easiest for your to 'feel through'? Which one seems to be closest to the way your feelings tend to work?

Exercise 1:
• As you come across the action of any mammal engaged in any activity (including humans), say to yourself, "He/she is feeling ______ because he is needing ______" and fill in the blanks. Guess the mammal's emotion as accurately as you can, by paying close attention to every detail of its behavior and trying to imagine what emotion that you might feel if you were that kind of mammal and acting that way. Guess the need by intuiting the inner calling of the animal that is emerging in the way it's responding to its environment, by recalling a similar need of your own. For example, if you see a Scotty dog sniffing around at a new suitcase, you might guess, "He is feeling apprehensive because he has a need to know he's safe." Or you might guess, "He is feeling curious because he has a need to learn all about the world around him." It depends unpredictably on exactly what you really observe. Key is to watch the mammal extremely closely, so your guess emerges spontaneously from empathizing, and not, say, by consciously reasoning on the basis of something you've read. Your guess must come from the fact that you yourself genuinely feel it. It must come from the heart.
• Try the same exercise on yourself at odd moments: self-empathy. Simply monitor how much you like or dislike something, and what in your nature is being fulfilled or frustrated to cause that feeling of like or dislike. Note that attending to your emotion alone is not enough; you must trace the emotion back to a need that is being fulfilled or frustrated. However, if you're having trouble with this, you might try just consciously noting your emotion for a while, as a starter exercise.

Exercise #2:
• Make a list of people you have some culturally recognized relationship with: different relatives, your spouse or boy/girlfriend, your boss/employees/co-workers, etc., and identify your ritual obligations to them that derive from (or define) these relationships. For example, whose birthday must you remember? Who must you send a Christmas card to? How must you dress at different occasions to indicate your relationship to your co-workers? Whom do you call by their first name and whom by an honorific (even "Mom")? How is it made obvious to all that you have this relationship? How would you feel or how would they feel if someone did not perform their ritual obligations?
• As you come across the action of any person engaged in any activity, say to yourself, "he did ______ because he wants to show ______ relationship." For example, if a man tips his hat to a lady, say to yourself, "He tipped his hat to her because he wants to show that he is loyal to her." If a woman quotes Proust in a conversation, say to yourself, "She quoted Proust to show that she wants to be seen as the expert and she wants others to defer to her authority." This can get very complex and tricky. For example, what does it mean if someone doesn't show up at your baby shower? Does that show that they don't consider you an important person in their life? If a friend you haven't seen in a long time addresses you as "Mr. Tibbs" (assuming your last name is Tibbs), what does that show about your friend's understanding of your friendship? That's an awfully formal way for friends to speak, so it seems like a cold gesture, aimed at showing that he wants to keep you at a distance. See any Seinfeld episode for lots more analysis of this kind.
• Try to get someone to treat you a certain way that defines a role for you. For example, try to get someone to treat you like royalty, or like a disposable slave, or like an expert authority, or like an eager student who wants to learn from them. You will have to, in some way, define a complementary role for them at the same time, through your actions. You can't ask explicitly that they treat you that way, except as a very last resort. You have to get the mutual roles going by, in effect, painting them in the complementary role first so they find themselves naturally playing along and painting you in the role you want. You may find that it's tricky to get painted in a positive role, but it can be done if you give the other person a complementary role that they really like. In effect, an implicit contract is created: you paint them in a role they like, and they paint you in a role you like.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I think any function can do moral values, just in very different ways. Being dominant Si typically means holding on to traditional values. And regardless of type, anyone is also using all functions to some extent. Still, if your personal values are important to you, that could point in the direction of Fi.

Your second paragraph seems to imply you use more T than F in judging others, and your being not very concerned about other's feelings, also leads me to think Te-Fi.

The tricky thing with sorting out the second/auxiliary and third/tertiary function is that they for many people are equally strong, and people don't always relate stronger to their auxiliary than their tertiary. There are so many reasons for the tertiary to be more well-developed than the auxiliary. So I in many situations it's simply easier do go for working out which function is extraverted and which is intoverted.

Vel's test should do the trick for Fe/Fi.

As for Te/Ti I think quote is the shortest descriptions I've seen that still makes sense to me.
Ti is focused on the blueprint, the design, the idea--while Te is focused on the application of that idea into an objectively measurable process.
You could also ask your self if you are prefer to analyse or organise.

Hopefully, you will come to compatible conclusions regarding Fe/Fi and Te/Ti.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
What kind of criticism hurts you the most?

Do you feel that others judge you on your intelligence?

The key here seems to be "the right thing to do". Could be Fi or maybe Si?

Arrogance.
You dislike unauthentic and arrogant people. Again makes me think of Si, but my understanding of Si is still a work in progress (it's not one of my preferred functions...)

Could be Te, wanting to get all facts right, before judging.

Does this mean that you spend most of your time when making a decision, analysing implementation and consequences? If so, that sounds Te to me.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To answer penchant's questions:

I think the criticism that would hurt the most would be criticism that is directed at my intelligence/competence and ability to do things. I can also get kind of sensitive and overreact when I am stressed. For example, I flipped out on my friend the other day hen he was teasing me for not knowing how to do a certain type of statistics problem, saying I was the math major and should know how to do it. I got upset and displayed some anger towards him. Perhaps ceriticism hurts me most when I lack confidence in my ability to do something--I think I can take it much better when I have more confidence in myself. I will be able to benefit from constructive criticism if I am not feeling insecure about something. Destructive criticism I will either laugh off or take very personally. I think I am pretty akward socially and get easily offended if anyone makes a comment that I am awkward or if I said something stupid.

When I make a decision, I don't think I always take into account all the consequences. I think I can be indecisive in some cases, and then I will try to think of all the consequences to the point of overanalyzing. If something feels right I will go ahead and make a decision without objective evidence, depending on what the decision is. But for example, if I were making a decision to start up a restaurnt, I would definitely come up with certain criteria that need to be met before I made a decison. It wouldn't be an entirely objective decision because I may weight some things as more important than others.

Answering about how i deal with stress, I usually go find a person I am close to to rant about the stress or try to find a way to let the stress out. I believe this response would be more of an extraverted feeling response?

I think I prefer organizing, but I am not sure.

I'll have to give those exercises a try though. They both seem somewhat difficult, but maybe it's because I haven't tried them yet.

In cognitive functions tests, I usually get pretty high Fe, Te, and Fi. My Ti lags behind, but at least I have more of it than Se, Ni, or Ne (I seem to have little). But sometimes I get Si-Fe-Te-Fi-Ti, and other times I get Si-Te-Fi-Fe-Ti. I am not sure if I overshoot it with Te though. As I have said, I think that school causes one to think in a more Te-ish fashion, since we have to learn so much about objective ways to measure things (like in the scientific method, for example).

Back in school, I preferred stuff that seemed more objective to me (like math, as long as I understood it, and science). I liked knowing the nasic facts about history, but I wasn't the most inclined to enjoy trying to interpret history I really hated English because I could never come to any meaning. I am definitely more a of technical minded person.

I wonder if that helps anyone decide whether I seem more ISFJ or ISTJ.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
Teddy brings up many good points that I will consider in determining whether I am an ISFJ or an ISTJ. I kind of feel like I tagged myself as an ISTJ, even if I am unsure of how much Te I use, because I definitely relate some to the Fi-descriptions. But maybe my moral values can come from elsewhere than Fi.
Moral values are encoded into all people despite their MBTI personality preference. Fi has more to do with making judgements by method sticking with the judgement that makes you personally feel good and discarding or not following through with the one that makes you feel bad. Fe users bend their emotions to the will of the group or society in which they live and express their emotions as is expected.

Back in school, I preferred stuff that seemed more objective to me (like math, as long as I understood it, and science). I liked knowing the nasic facts about history, but I wasn't the most inclined to enjoy trying to interpret history I really hated English because I could never come to any meaning. I am definitely more a of technical minded person.
I wonder if that helps anyone decide whether I seem more ISFJ or ISTJ.
Knowing what school subjects you excelled at doesn't help much. My ISFJ mother got a degree in a technical physics-related subject. She likes history too, and I'd even consider her a history buff. Meaning of literature I can see both ISFJs and ISTJs would struggle with because their intuitive function in their 4th inferior one. What you are trying to decide here is whether you use TeFi or FeTi as your judgment functions, so what would help is more examples of how you judge yourself and other people and what line of reasoning do you follow.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Sorry for letting you wait...

I think the criticism that would hurt the most would be criticism that is directed at my intelligence/competence and ability to do things. I can also get kind of sensitive and overreact when I am stressed. For example, I flipped out on my friend the other day hen he was teasing me for not knowing how to do a certain type of statistics problem, saying I was the math major and should know how to do it. I got upset and displayed some anger towards him. Perhaps ceriticism hurts me most when I lack confidence in my ability to do something--I think I can take it much better when I have more confidence in myself. I will be able to benefit from constructive criticism if I am not feeling insecure about something. Destructive criticism I will either laugh off or take very personally. I think I am pretty akward socially and get easily offended if anyone makes a comment that I am awkward or if I said something stupid.
Your self-worth seems to relate more to T than F. Some other things in here point away from F as well...

When I make a decision, I don't think I always take into account all the consequences. I think I can be indecisive in some cases, and then I will try to think of all the consequences to the point of overanalyzing. If something feels right I will go ahead and make a decision without objective evidence, depending on what the decision is. But for example, if I were making a decision to start up a restaurnt, I would definitely come up with certain criteria that need to be met before I made a decison. It wouldn't be an entirely objective decision because I may weight some things as more important than others.
This sounds to me very much like a Te who really, really, really wants to make as objective a decision as possible based on as complete an analysis as possible. So while you realize that you are probably not doing that, it seems clear to me that that is still actually what you are hoping to achieve, which gives me clear Te vibes.

Answering about how i deal with stress, I usually go find a person I am close to to rant about the stress or try to find a way to let the stress out. I believe this response would be more of an extraverted feeling response?
That seems to me a mature response for all types. I'm not sure which function to attribute it to. You could probably expand on this by describing what happens to you if you are not able to find some way of venting, and how you would relate to other people around you when stressed.

I think I prefer organizing, but I am not sure.
That is Te.

I'll have to give those exercises a try though. They both seem somewhat difficult, but maybe it's because I haven't tried them yet.
Yes, please do, even though the distinction might not seem clear.

In cognitive functions tests, I usually get pretty high Fe, Te, and Fi. My Ti lags behind, but at least I have more of it than Se, Ni, or Ne (I seem to have little). But sometimes I get Si-Fe-Te-Fi-Ti, and other times I get Si-Te-Fi-Fe-Ti. I am not sure if I overshoot it with Te though. As I have said, I think that school causes one to think in a more Te-ish fashion, since we have to learn so much about objective ways to measure things (like in the scientific method, for example).
I don't think that school actually alters the way of relating to the functions that much. It seems more probably to me that more personal and emotional events in a person's life might do that... And I think that even if school favours Te, it would never do so to the extent that a person will loose their Ti. Ti people just find other ways of doing things than Te people, and might actually not even consider school as extremely Te. (Caveat: teachers make a lot of a difference. And: I wasn't educated in the American school system...)

This gives one piece of data that I think is relevant. You seem to be looking for objective external standards in what you learn. This is what you pointed to in your OP as your Te-focused education. But the fact that you prefer those kinds of subjects also seems to confirm Te.

There are some things above that you could answer or comment on further.
It seems clear to me however that your T is extraverted, and that would point towards ISTJ.

·
Registered
535 Posts
IMHO, you're an ISTJ with a strong tertiary Fi.

You mentioned that you will defend your own values, and these values seem to come out of your own self - they just feel right to you. That certainly is Fi, and this:

is just pure Fi - which values authenticity much more than pleasing others.

By the way, it looks like your inferior Ne is rather influential too - it makes you worry about not seeing all possibilities. Seems all your functions are well developed.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
On reading through the descriptions of the two exercises, I think the first one seems to be easier for me.

I guess it sounds right that I am an ISTJ, although granted a lot of the thinkers I know consider me to be more of a feeler than a thinker. Feelers consider me to be more balanced between thinking or feeling,

Thanks for all your help, but I am going to go with ISTJ.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
On reading through the descriptions of the two exercises, I think the first one seems to be easier for me.

I guess it sounds right that I am an ISTJ, although granted a lot of the thinkers I know consider me to be more of a feeler than a thinker. Feelers consider me to be more balanced between thinking or feeling,

Thanks for all your help, but I am going to go with ISTJ.
First exercise is Fi and it does correspond to ISTJ.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts