Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I'm new to the site! I've had some varying results when I take MBTI quizzes so thought I'd see what you all think my type might be. I took the test for the first time in high school and got INFJ. I then took it again senior year of college and got ISTP which the career counselor thought was hilarious because every letter except I was different from before. Since then I've taken various tests and usually get either ISFJ or INFJ, both of which have things that are exactly me and things that are not me at all. Also bless any of you who actually take the time to read this because holy cow it is long, but it seemed like the most interesting/thorough of the questionnaires I saw on here.

1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?

I tend to get ISFJ mostly when I take the test (sometimes INFJ) but I don't think I'm ISFJ because I am pretty much completely uninterested in tradition and duty. I'm conservative in some ways (dress rather "modestly", don't curse around others) but I'm also very liberal politically and as a 30 year old single woman, all the stuff in the ISFJ description talking about how caring for family is what's most important to me just makes me roll my eyes. I value my independence and I'm way more interested in my career and hobbies, aside from hanging out with my mom sometimes. I'm not even sure if I want to get married or have kids. Also, I suppose I'm a nice person, but I don't know that it's a defining characteristic of my personality, I feel like I am about average or maybe slightly higher than average on the nice scale? Whereas it seems like ISFJs are like always thinking of others and putting others before themselves and I don't think I particularly do that.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?

Making a difference in the world. I know it sounds corny and I swear it was the first thing I thought of that felt right, and I’m not just saying it because I would rather be an INFJ! But seriously, if I could have a job where I felt I was really making a difference in helping people and not just in a general cheesy way but in a practical "these are the policies and institutions that are causing economic inequality and this is how we make an actual difference in fixing those" kind of way, because seriously there's so much that needs to be done, that would be amazing. Plus having a friend or two that I felt like I could tell absolutely anything to.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.

A couple examples come to mind. One was in high school- I had this run from like end of sophomore year through junior year where I really stepped out of my comfort zone. I'd always been in choir and loved singing, but I finally did a solo the end of sophomore year and everyone was very complimentary and shocked given how shy I was. It went so well that junior year, I was asked to sing at an event in front of the whole school, which also went well, and then at the end of the year, I ended up getting a part in the spring musical and I remember a couple people saying that they felt like I was really coming into my own that year. The other example is similar in that I stepped out of my comfort zone and really became more independent- I studied abroad in Spain for a semester in college, and when I came back, I remember a few people commenting that they thought I had changed a lot, in a good way, and I really did feel so much more independent and capable than I had before.

4) What makes you feel inferior?

Since my teenage years, I've always been very insecure about my appearance, and between that and my shyness I haven't really dated. So yeah, I do sometimes think, seriously, what's wrong with me? Most of the time, I try not to let it get me down, because mostly everything else in my life is pretty great, but I have moments where it bothers me. I do also sometimes feel inferior when I'm trying to talk in a group conversation and people just interrupt or completely ignore me which happens not infrequently.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)

It really depends on the decision. I do tend to make pros/cons lists (I make a lot of lists in general). If it's the right decision, in my experience, both logic and how I feel about it tend to line up. Honestly, I struggle to think of a lot of huge decisions I've made. Deciding to go back to grad school was a big one, but it was something I'd been wanting to do, the company I was working for was going to pay for it, and I like school. It was kind of a no-brainer, I just ended up needing a push from a couple friends to just go for it. Same with when I decided to go off to college instead of going to college where I could live at home. I think I knew that I would never really learn independence if I didn't go off on my own, and a friend of mine helped me to realize that. Plus no schools near me were offering the major I wanted.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?

I'm not entirely sure I understand this question, but sure, absolutely I want to have control of the outcome. I will probably make a ton of lists- to do lists, pros/cons lists, lists breaking down the to do lists into more bite sized lists. Probably all in Microsoft OneNote.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?*

Every year for the last 4 years I've gone to an annual board game convention with friends and, as I am a huge fan of board games, it is so much fun. We get to play lots of new games and have a good time hanging out! What can I say, I'm a huge nerd. Close runner up is any wedding I've been to where there was dancing because dancing is the best part of weddings, and one of the few times I really allow myself to not be so self-conscious.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)

Absolutely memorization. I had a couple classes in grad school that were more abstract/subjective and I hated them. Like, one was on a book that was kind of experimental fiction and had no punctuation AT ALL in the entire book, and we had to analyze it and it was the worst. I just did not care. I like "hands on" practical learning as well so I can see the things I'm learning in context. Like I don't mind talking about theoretical ideas if they can/will eventually be applied to something practical, but analyzing a book with no punctuation? Who cares? It seems like a monumental waste of time.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?

This is complicated because at work I am extremely organized. I never print anything so my desk is always clear, and I keep a to do list in OneNote every day that I update regularly, etc. At home, my apartment is a mess and I'm always forgetting to do things. Soooo half and half?

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?

Those sound like the same thing to me? If the principles make sense, there would likely be information that supports it and vice versa.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?

Can I do both? I mean, "everyone" includes myself.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?

Think before speaking, probably too much. In fact, it is not uncommon for me to think so much about what I'm going to say that by the time I finally decide to say something, the conversation has moved on to another topic, so I end up not saying anything. I much prefer one on one communication, but only if the other person is willing to listen. It's so frustrating when people assume that because I'm not speaking, that I have nothing to say, instead of trying to actually involve me in the conversation.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?

I like to know where I am jumping before leaping. I am extremely cautious and tend to double or triple or quadruple check things before I jump into action. Like when I'm learning a new board game, I would love to read the entire rule book before we play the game, whereas some people want to just skim the rule book and get started playing which drives me nuts, because that's how you miss important information on how to play and end up having to look at the rules halfway through the game anyway and realize you've been playing wrong this whole time.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?

Depends on what the night out is and which friends. If it's just like "clubbing" or something, nah. But if it's board game night or karaoke or something, I might be up for it.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?

I basically shut down. If I have 20 things I need to do, I will get overwhelmed, shut down and do none of them. I'll stay up super late watching YouTube videos or rearranging my bookshelf by color or playing whatever computer game or phone game I'm currently addicted to or something equally unnecessary and won't talk to anyone. Might eat some ice cream or way too many potato chips. Been doing this kind of a lot lately, actually!

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?

I can't stand when people are fake. There's a few people I know who have this weird personality I can't quite put my finger on that makes me dislike them. It's like they're putting on a show while talking and are expecting you to have a certain reaction (like laugh at what they said even if what they said is not remotely funny, or get upset about something on their behalf when it's really not a big deal) and then when I don't have that reaction they're wanting, they get mad or try even harder to make it work and it's like no, just stop. Talk to me, not at me. It's like when we're talking, they're constantly trying to prove a point that I never asked them to prove.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?

I really enjoy sharing funny or amazing stories with people and hearing their funny or amazing stories. I also love talking about books and foreign languages on the rare occasions when I find people who will talk about those topics with me. My best friend and I also end up talking a lot about the world and office life and things we wish we could change about both and how we would go about it.

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life?

The physical environment/really anything physical. I'm really bad about keeping my apartment straightened up because it's so low on the list of things I care about. Like ideally, I would like my apartment to be neat and tidy but it's like my brain just barely registers the clutter sometimes and then I'm like wait, how long have those dishes been there? Wait when was the last time I vacuumed? I have no idea, I've been too busy on the Internet or reading or learning French. I don't even wear makeup most of the time again cause it's just so low on the list of things that interest me.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? What would your friends never say about your personality?

Some of my friends are probably mostly accurate with their perception of me, but I think a lot of my friends who have known me since junior high/high school, have a very specific but outdated perception of me as a shy, quiet, reserved person who's a picky eater and doesn't rock the boat and golly gee just wants everyone to get along and never curses ever and never gets angry and is just kind to everyone and pretty smart. The "smart" part is basically all they still have right. I think they're ignoring the fact that I've changed a lot in the last 15 years though. I'm not nearly as picky of an eater, I've become much more politically active and therefore less concerned about rocking the boat and more concerned with trying to voice my opinions. I curse all the time when I'm by myself, mostly at inanimate objects that aren't cooperating (like my computer) but still. I do get angry, I just don't tend to show it to others. I think I'm much more complex than the box they try to put me in, basically. My friends would never say that I'm reckless or wild or cruel and they would be correct in not saying those things.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?

I would probably read a book, work on learning a language, and if I can get some friends together to play board games, play board games. Or if no friends are available, basically just read all day, maybe watch Netflix or Youtube or something. If I'm feeling energetic, I might play an Xbox Kinect game.

All right, well I guess that's it! Again, if you made it this far, wow!! Thank you! Any thoughts on my possible type are greatly appreciated!

·
Banned
1,428 Posts
Valerie172 said:
8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)

Absolutely memorization. I had a couple classes in grad school that were more abstract/subjective and I hated them. Like, one was on a book that was kind of experimental fiction and had no punctuation AT ALL in the entire book, and we had to analyze it and it was the worst. I just did not care. I like "hands on" practical learning as well so I can see the things I'm learning in context. Like I don't mind talking about theoretical ideas if they can/will eventually be applied to something practical, but analyzing a book with no punctuation? Who cares? It seems like a monumental waste of time.
The sensor learning style.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?

Those sound like the same thing to me? If the principles make sense, there would likely be information that supports it and vice versa.
So you prefer to look for supporting information. The sensor approach.

You are also a confirmed introvert, so I think your MBTI begins with IS and not with IN.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I took the test for the first time in high school and got INFJ. I then took it again senior year of college and got ISTP which the career counselor thought was hilarious because every letter except I was different from before.
ISTP and INFJ actually share all the same cognitive functions so that really isn't THAT strange.
Ti-Se-Ni-Fe
Ni-Fe-Ti-Se

Kinda hints to me that you may be INFJ who then developed the 3rd or 4th function with age, retook the test, and came out ISTP as a result.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts