Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Off the top of my head: People looking at me from outside my house (blinds are drawn at night) and the garbage disposal. It's stupid I know. What are the odds the garbage disposal would turn on when my hand is in it? I DON'T WANT TO KNOW AND DON'T CARE! lol

Yours??? SHARE!

·
Registered
390 Posts
LOL, I am crazy about blinds, too. I always have the blinds closed because I hate people being able to look in, day or night.

I am also scared of getting a foot stuck in a vacuum. I mean, this can't really happen but vacuums still freak me out for some reason. Almost anything sharp and fast-moving scares me, such as lawnmowers, electric razors, and saws. I guess garbage disposals would be included, too, lol.

I am also always paranoid that my clothing will slip and show too much or that I have things in my teeth. Silly things but enough that people will tell me "Stop checking your teeth! You're fine!" but I will still check again as soon as they turn around. <_<

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ah, the joy of having inferior Ne.
I don't really fear heights but I always get squeamish when I'm up high and imagine myself falling, so I often don't go too close to the edge. Also, my school built a temporary skywalk to get to class due to construction, and the stairs creak so much that I'm afraid the entire structure will collapse on me at any moment :shocked:

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I'm always afraid someone will come into my house while I'm taking a shower *shivers* Or even worse, I always run up to my bed and jump onto it, because I feel like someone will grab my ankle from under my bed haha

I probably shouldn't tell you one I have, since you'll probably start thinking about it too, and it's a little gruesome. It doesn't really bother me, but I still think about it every time.

One of my friends once told me that in a city that is about half an hour away from where I live, a long time ago a gang member (or maybe just a regular criminal), hid underneath someone's car, and as the person stepped into the driver's seat, the criminal cut their Achille's tendon with a knife. Whenever I'm in a strange place, I always think about that and I either check my car or get in really quickly.

But anyway, I have a lot of little every day things like this. I'm constantly checking my pockets for things, especially my wallet. I worry a lot about being on time too so a lot of times I get to places early.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I probably shouldn't tell you one I have, since you'll probably start thinking about it too, and it's a little gruesome. It doesn't really bother me, but I still think about it every time.

One of my friends once told me that in a city that is about half an hour away from where I live, a long time ago a gang member (or maybe just a regular criminal), hid underneath someone's car, and as the person stepped into the driver's seat, the criminal cut their Achille's tendon with a knife. Whenever I'm in a strange place, I always think about that and I either check my car or get in really quickly.
That's terrible! I'm probably going to start to do that now haha. Dang!

·
Banned
47 Posts
I'm always afraid someone will come into my house while I'm taking a shower *shivers* Or even worse, I always run up to my bed and jump onto it, because I feel like someone will grab my ankle from under my bed haha
I'm like this too!!! lol

When I was little, I thought there was a man with an ax that lived under my bed, so I would jump from my bed to the door (my room was really small). Once, I was in such a panic to avoid the man with the ax that I stepped on the front of my nightgown and flipped myself. lol And if I ever needed anything from my nightstand I had to slide a pillow across first so that the man with the ax couldn't see my arm and chop it off. (I can't believe I'm admitting this!)

I get really freaked out when people walk too closely behind me.

There's lots more, but I've already embarrassed myself enough. :blushed:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Off the top of my head: People looking at me from outside my house (blinds are drawn at night) and the garbage disposal. It's stupid I know. What are the odds the garbage disposal would turn on when my hand is in it? I DON'T WANT TO KNOW AND DON'T CARE! lol

Yours??? SHARE!
This isn't a paranoia, it's a red flag. It ISN"T safe to stick your hand down a garbage disposal. Unplug it or throw the circuit breaker on it first. And consider wearing some old leather gloves so you don't cut yourself on the blades. Putting your hand down an energized garbage disposal is like pointing a loaded gun at a person assuming that "my finger isn't on the trigger so no one will get hurt".

It's always a good idea to give a second thought about fears related to safety--they're often your first protection from doing something that might hurt you. That can even be the case when "everyone else is doing it" because no one has actually taken the time to think about what they are doing and what could go wrong.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm like this too!!! lol

When I was little, I thought there was a man with an ax that lived under my bed, so I would jump from my bed to the door (my room was really small). Once, I was in such a panic to avoid the man with the ax that I stepped on the front of my nightgown and flipped myself. lol And if I ever needed anything from my nightstand I had to slide a pillow across first so that the man with the ax couldn't see my arm and chop it off. (I can't believe I'm admitting this!)

I get really freaked out when people walk too closely behind me.

There's lots more, but I've already embarrassed myself enough. :blushed:
LOL Nothing to be embarrassed about! You were only a kid. :) I used to think there was a peeping Tom looking in my window at night ... so my phobia has been with me forever.

Reactions: Something Sweet

·
Registered
126 Posts
earthtopaige said:
*puts on Freud hat and robe*

Fear is connected with desire. The first thing that came into my mind is "she wants company" :wink:

Shale said:
LOL Nothing to be embarrassed about! You were only a kid. :) I used to think there was a peeping Tom looking in my window at night ... so my phobia has been with me forever.
And attention :tongue:

·
Registered
8 Posts
As a kid I always had a fear my house was going to burn down if I left it. Also, this is weird... but I always kind of thought someone that broke in my house was actually living in my house waiting for the right moment to kill us all off. I barely stayed asleep back then :p I also always checked behind all the shower curtains before I'd use the bathroom. And I'd always think I'd see a ghost/reflection of someone not there in a turned off television screen - THAT terrified me the most. I still have dreams about that happening. I never looked at a TV when it was turned off!!

Thankfully, I got over a lot of my fears like that so I could live normally and not be terrified of everything that could possibly happen! Now I'm just scared of cops and flying insects xD

·
Registered
105 Posts
I hate everything with wings, that flapping noise gives me shivers from my head down to my feet.
When walking stairs, my feet needs to get an even amount of steps.
I still avoid the edge on tiles whenever i remember to.
Numbers has to be even when i adjust volume on my mp3 player or stereo.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Used to be scared my car door was going to open and I'd go flopping out on the road.

Even thought it's never happened to me yet....I just KNOW someone is going to break into my house one day when I'm at work. Sometimes when I come home I'm surprised when I find it didn't happen today....kinda sick I know.

·
Registered
41 Posts
People watching through my windows at night
murderer behind the shower curtain
ghost watching me sleep
something grabbing my ankle from under the bed
killer dolls

you know, the usual :tongue:

·
Registered
237 Posts
I get really paranoid when I'm walking alone in the dark. Thinking back on the past year, this is regardless of my environment. I can be in the neighborhood I grew up in (there used to be gangs, but they wouldn't target me), my summer camp (it's usually just an animal... still think deer are gonna ram me though), my college town (there was a bed intruder last year), and now in Spain (uhhh foreign country alert).

If I watch something or see pictures that mildly disturb me, any fears they perpetuate are amplified. For example, I read an AMA about a dangerous spider handler on Reddit today. Literally haven't seen a single spider in a month and a half, but I keep looking behind me.

I have a strong fear of heights, and in the last six months this has extended to stairs as well. Climbing the stairs at St. Peter's Basilica was something else... and I am trying to block out walking down from my memory. I wasn't even bothered at the top, even outside, but those stairs.

I also get really paranoid that people hate me. Granted, my roommate kind of hated me for a while, but now she doesn't and every time she's not enthusiastic about something I get worried. Nothing to worry about though.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I dislike heights. The older I get, the worse it gets.

Other than that I have this general fear of being seen as a fraud in academic circles because they all seem so much smarter and more worldly and well-read than me. Lucky for me they're constantly reassuring me (on their own, I think...not because they sense my inferiority complex) that I belong where I am and should continue. Otherwise I'd have run for the hills long ago.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I agree completely about the garbage disposal! There are two switches next to the sink. One for the light, one for the disposal. I will inevitably use the wrong one 75% of the time and shudder everytime at the horrible sound.

I don't know that I have any serious fears or phobias. I don't like the idea of stabbings or cuts made against my body, or LARGE needles. This is funny because I'm a diabetic and a literal cyborg thanks to my external insulin pump, and that requires me to put a small needle in my body every three days and leave it there.

I do NOT like yellow jackets or fire ants, but that's understandable since I grew up in GA where they are all over the place. And malicious. I seem to dream quite often about various floors and the ground with more than its share of snakes or crocodiles, but I don't think that that translate to life.

I like being able to look down from heights, as long as I trust that there's SOMETHING solid and reliable to hold me while I'm looking.

The unknown darkness is beaten back with rational thought and trust in God, after an initial fear of something unnatural attacking me. I know enough to know natural things in control of their functions don't WANT to attack me. Public speaking is not something I do, but if I'm forced I remind myself of what the audience is expecting and work to get that done.

...I think the only thing I truly fear is anything I would have no way to prepare for or control. Like the wind blowing my car off a bridge. Or being in a huge accident and having to live and/or suffer afterward. Irrational robberies. Being abandoned forever.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I worry about leaving the stove on and forgetting to lock my doors. I'll get out of bed and go and check if I haven't made my rounds, lol. I also worry about people I love getting seriously injured. Specifically I worry about loved ones falling down stairs.

Reactions: Fynest One

·
Registered
7 Posts
Noises outside, movement outside, porcelain dolls, low lit porchlights, low lit lights in rooms, fluorescent lights (reminds me of hospitals), puppets, health just off the top of my head. Oh yeah, and the deep ocean.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
telling mine could make someone read it and then come torture me with it. LOL

1 - 20 of 29 Posts