Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dread talking on the phone. I MUCH prefer communicating via the internet, either by email or IM.....my parents are really the only two people I am comfortable talking to on the phone.

What do other ISFJ's prefer? Is my dislike of the phone a factor of personality type, or something totally unrelated?

I thank you ahead of time for taking the time to read this and potentially to respond.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
I strongly STRONGLY dislike the phone, I only pick up if it's my mum. Which is kinda problematic. Some people figure it out and just txt/email me but some will just keep ringing so much I have to turn my phone off.

I do hope to one day break out of this and hope it's a phase.

ME + phones = :unsure:

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I can't help but think this is connected to type in at least some way. I don't think it's as simple as "ISFJ's don't like phones", but it appears that there's some connection.

Firstly, part of it has to do with introversion:

PersonalityCafe - View Poll Results

I've read that introverts usually like to take some time to think about a question before responding, whereas extroverts are more likely to want to talk immediately and sort out their thoughts through talking.

I know this is true for me. With emails (and posts :wink: ), I can take my time, figure out how I want to word things, and go back and change things at the end. I do this with emails all of the time....I try to make them perfect.

In some ways, a phone conversation is even worse than a face-to-face conversation because when you're talking to someone in person, they can tell see your facial expressions when you're pausing to think about something. On the phone, a lot of times I don't pause...the silence feels awkward.

And email and IM are nice too because you still get to spend that time alone and recharge, since you can do other things while doing them. When talking on the phone, you have to give your attention to who you're talking to.

But I think other traits about ISFJ's emphasize this even more. With out secondary Fe, we're always trying to make people happy, so we like to be very careful with our words. I know on the phone I will sometimes say things without thinking and it irks me....sometimes I get jittery or nervous, even.

And our dominant Si probably leads us to using past phone call experiences to shape our view of future ones, as well as getting set in our non-phone ways.

So I see a connection, even if it's not true across the board.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Who else comes out in chills when their mobile starts to ring?
A similar feeling to when your mum screams your name five minutes after you dyed the cat hot pink? Like you know it's not going to be something good .....................and quite possibly the end of the world. Yeah I get that.

·
Registered
75 Posts
lol I hate phones. They are my mortal enemies.

Well, I don't detest them quite as much as I used to. But I would prefer to see someone's face and body language. OR I'd prefer to just shoot them an email or a text message. Phone calls are intimidating. :/

·
Registered
9,505 Posts
My preferred methods of communication are emails/texts and letters. I detest talking on the phone. I'm not crazy about face-to-face talking, but will do either if it's necessary to expedite matters (for instance, calling to dispute a bill, etc.)
It may be an I/E issue, rather than a T/F issue. .02/HTH

·
Registered
298 Posts
i hate talking on phones also. i hate calling, i hate answering... so i rarely do. i also dislike checking voicemail.

when i'm calling, i feel like no matter what time i call, it will be an inconvenience to the person. upon answering, i always expect some bad news or meaningless small talk. i really can't handle it. it's so stupid, i actually have to mentally prep myself if use of the phone is unavoidable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I hate phones! Its not just talking on it. Its phones all together, I just hate them. My ex girlfriend hated it when i didnt pick up the phone and call her. My family doesnt like it when I go on trips away from them because I wont call them and see how they are doing. I see it as a bad habbit or phase. But if someone wanted to talk to me on the phone theyd have to call me, even then it wont be a long converstaion, Ill only stay on the phone for 30 mins at most.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Agree with this post. i HATE phones. I hate talking on them. I feel uncomfortable and totally agree with the awkward silence thing. I tend to think, perhaps over analyse, thigns that are said and wish to respond correctly to show the correct meaning/emotion etc, you pause to think on a phone you get the "hello, hello' from the other end thnking youve been disconnected...I am also the type that if I need to make a phone call i write down what im calling for and any answers i need, im sussinct, i get to the point, i get what i need, i get off the phone. when people call ME, i dont know what they want and therefore feel panicked that i may not know the answer or dont want to hear what they are going to tell me.
in my line of work, there are lots of phone calls to be made and i procrastinate everytime. i worked at the same place for almost 5 years, every review there was always soemthing said about my ability, or willingness more like, to make phone calls. it has improved. The workplace was big on MBTI types etc, so they understood where i was coming from in my type...

I can take calls from my parents, siblings, CLOSE friends no trouble, if i dont know the number, i rarely answer....my phone ring tone is normally quiet or on vibrate only, the noise annoys me, and thinking that my ring tone might annoy others around me.

Although it could be a person to person thing...one of our receptionists was also an ISFJ like me, and we were very very alike, but she had no issue with answering or making phone calls...

perhaps some of us are truly crazy...

or we dont want brain cancer?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I always prefer speaking in person, but the phone seems to be the closest of the mediums. I usually feel more comfortable talking via IMing though and texting is usually used for random things I'm saying while on the bus or something. Haha. In person is the best, even if I am super shy around some people. D:

·
Registered
98 Posts
I hate the phone and talking to people in person. I suffer from selective mutism and it can be quite frustrating trying to talk to people. I prefer to communicate digitally through blogs,email,text, chat and forum post. I can convey what I want to say more accurately when typing because I have more time to think about what is being said and my mutism doesnt effect my typing. One down side to communicating digitally is you lose the ability to induce inflection into the conversation so you must be concise with your words.

A simple phrase like "Go fly a kite and leave us alone you weirdo. lol" can be said in jest but can be percieved as an attack by the person its directed towards. When talking online things can be misunderstood and taken out of context quite easily if the involved parties arent on the same page.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@Marvinteck

You raise a good point about tone being lost through online messaging, emails etc. I grudgingly give one point to The Phone lol.

Reactions: jamescarrolls

·
Registered
130 Posts
:tongue: One more for the "I hate phones" tally.

One of the problems I have with phones is that my voice is often low and soft when I'm talking to strangers, and I have to consciously raise it so they can hear me. :frustrating:

Another is that people tend to expect me to make small talk, and I always have to scramble for something to ask, in order to keep the conversation going... I usually just fall back on asking how their pets are doing. And I'm uncomfortable with making up an excuse just to get off the phone, so I have to wait until they decide the conversation is over. *sigh*

Yeah, emails and text messaging are much easier. :happy:

·
Registered
345 Posts
:tongue: One more for the "I hate phones" tally.

And I'm uncomfortable with making up an excuse just to get off the phone, so I have to wait until they decide the conversation is over

That's funny!!!! I've done that too!!!! But gotten better at letting them know, I GOTTA GO!!!!
Thanks for sharing.:happy:

Sincerely,
Johnny

1 - 20 of 49 Posts