Personality Cafe banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or do you all feel uncomfortable shopping?
Whenever I walk in to a store I feel watched or unwelcome even more so when I dwell or spend a lot of time in the store. I just feel self conscious and even more so when a store clerk is over enthusiastic or asks me if I need help finding something. Usually that feeling lessens when I'm with my friend or with my sister but I really don't like shopping. The only place is where I feel more at ease is in an art store.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
I don't like shopping either. I used to hate it. Now I'm "okay" with it. I really feel uncomfortable especially when a store clerk tries to serve me. I'd rather look around on my own. I feel watched when the store is empty. That's why I don't walk in if there are no other customers in it.

I really like online shopping now. While waiting for the parcel to come and the unboxing part are so much fun.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
Whenever I walk in to a store I feel watched or unwelcome even more so when I dwell or spend a lot of time in the store. I just feel self conscious and even more so when a store clerk is over enthusiastic or asks me if I need help finding something. Usually that feeling lessens when I'm with my friend or with my sister but I really don't like shopping. The only place is where I feel more at ease is in an art store.
i feel exactly the same, i figured it was some kind of social anxiety, and some places or times are worse than others. i will go out of my way to go to a comfortable location even if the same chain has a closer store. Its a completely illogical phobia and im aware of it, but it doesnt make it go away.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Thats hilarious! I normally feel pretty comfortable in stores, however the other day I didnt feel too comfortable... in an art store. :p Thats crazy. Though I know what you mean, I can feel like I'm being watched or whatever. I, too, dont like being asked if I can be helped lol, I always respond 'just lookin'. I can relate ;)
Edit: though in the art store, I was looking at a picture (bobbing my head back and forth because it was one of those 3D-ish ones that change) then the people working there were like "you can pick that up and look if you want haha" I was all "no Im good" which I was, I didnt venture any further into the store, I just lurked around the front lol

·
Registered
651 Posts
I absolutely love clothes shopping. I don't think this is type related, but rather some kind of anxiety your experiencing.

Do you get similar experiences with socializing? Or entering someones home you don't know etc?

but yeah, clothes shopping is just insane for me. Give me $10,000 and I'll spend it in a weekend.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I don't like shopping period. This is not so much because of any social anxiety, but because I just don't like clothes and shoes and stuff. I'm the type to buy something from the first shop I see. I shop like a guy, in a way. I get very impatient with the girls' type of shopping-they go to every shop in the mall and compare prices, colours, designs and types.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I don't mind having to talk to someone who can help me if I need help (though I think I'd just ask them if the clerk could tell me where certain products are located, I really wouldn't want their help otherwise).

But I don't like having to shop for clothing because it can be really hard to find clothes in the right size that are cheap. It takes too long.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I always ALWAYS let the clerk know that I'm just looking.
I often feel like I'm getting in the way of other shoppers and I hate that.
Overall though, I love shopping. When I have the money. lol

·
Registered
48 Posts
I feel very uncomfortable when I'm not either on my to go somewhere specific or in the process of doing something, I absolutely hate standing around in the middle of people working/doing things without having anything to do myself. Shopping can be awkward if I'm just meandering, but if I know what I want and where it is, a lot of the stress is taken away and it makes for a very short visit. It also depends on what I'm shopping for. If it's something I have a lot of interest in, say gaming (video/TCGs/miniatures), I could spend hours browsing or however long it takes for my legs to get stiff.

As for when clerks ask if I need help, its almost always an automatic no thanks, just browsing/looking. I hate being a burden, even though its their job to help customers.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I don't like shopping period. This is not so much because of any social anxiety, but because I just don't like clothes and shoes and stuff. I'm the type to buy something from the first shop I see. I shop like a guy, in a way. I get very impatient with the girls' type of shopping-they go to every shop in the mall and compare prices, colours, designs and types.
Haha, that's so funny, because I'm pretty much the opposite, and you sound like my friend who I go shopping with sometimes; she would follow me around for an extra 2-3 hours after she's done.. I feel so bad sometimes, but thankfully she doesn't mind.

I don't think comfort/discomfort has anything to do with type, but it's more based on circumstances/likes. For me, I usually only shop if there's a need (need to fix something - ace hardware, clothes - mall, food - costco/safeway), but I don't really mind just browsing idly at times because who knows, something might come up that I wasn't looking that I might get.

I tend to do a lot of comparing especially when it comes to clothes buying, but that's entirely because of cost: I'm a college student, and I don't want to spend my parents money needlessly, but at the same time, my job doesn't pay much :(

I'm very thankful for employees. Saves me so much time.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I really like the actual act of shopping, but I do hate when salespeople come up to me and ask me if I need help. It doesn't matter if I do or not, "I'm just looking." It's the worst when I'm the only one in the store, and they don't have anyone else to badger. Also, I hate walking through the mall and having to try to avoid those people who stand in the middle trying to straighten my hair and sell me nail products. I don't want any of that stuff, but if they ever stop me, it's so hard to get away because I feel sorry for them. So, I do whatever I can not to make eye contact. If I'm by myself, sometimes I pretend like I'm on the phone. lol.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
I hate being a burden, even though its their job to help customers.
thats funny because i really dont care if im a burden, maybe its my years working in customer service, its hardened me. I also get quite upset if im not treated properly by someone in customer service because i know how fake you need to be to do the job and what they should be doing. There is no excuse for them to be rude....ever!

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
I really like the actual act of shopping, but I do hate when salespeople come up to me and ask me if I need help. It doesn't matter if I do or not, "I'm just looking." It's the worst when I'm the only one in the store, and they don't have anyone else to badger. Also, I hate walking through the mall and having to try to avoid those people who stand in the middle trying to straighten my hair and sell me nail products. I don't want any of that stuff, but if they ever stop me, it's so hard to get away because I feel sorry for them. So, I do whatever I can not to make eye contact. If I'm by myself, sometimes I pretend like I'm on the phone. lol.
yeah those hair straightener and dead sea nail kiosks are the worst! You must avoid eye contact and if they call out just head down and keep moving! I stopped one day and ended up buying expensive nail stuff because i felt like i needed to be nice and then they haggled the price.. thats just odd... its a mall why haggle? how much did the last person pay for the stuff i wonder.

·
Registered
93 Posts
yeah those hair straightener and dead sea nail kiosks are the worst! You must avoid eye contact and if they call out just head down and keep moving! I stopped one day and ended up buying expensive nail stuff because i felt like i needed to be nice and then they haggled the price.. thats just odd... its a mall why haggle? how much did the last person pay for the stuff i wonder.
Ha. I stopped and bought expensive nail stuff one time too.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I do not enjoy shopping in big shopping centres...I will get what I need and get out. I also can never get things im entirely happy with spending full price on
I prefere to buy my cloths secondhand

But I can spend hours in op shop, Second hand cloths shops, and be just as happy if I walk out with 1 item as 5. when everything is so much cheaper then new I do not expect perfection, I just want cloths that will fit in with my wardrobe..... and not empty my walet.

The volenteers/workers at op shops will also not offer help unless you ask, so they will leave you alone to browse the collections.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts