Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is your gift-giving style?

I have a few guesses, and I hope some of you can either confirm or correct for me...

As SJs, of course, an ISFJ never forgets a birthday or Christmas or other special days. Their calendars are marked with the birthdays of everyone they care about, and if it's someone who isn't "important" enough to require a gift, the ISFJ will at least send a card. If for some reason the card or gift is late, the ISFJ will feel terrible about it.

ISFJs love making gifts for the people they care for. They'd rather give a handmade gift "from the heart" than something factory-made out of a store. They put a lot of time and love into these hand-made gifts, and are deeply hurt if they feel their gift is not appreciated by the recipient.

My mother, who I suspect is an ISFJ, for years would make Christmas ornaments out of plastic canvas and yarn for every relative (one per household), close friend, and her kids' teachers. She'd start sometime in the Fall and have them all completed and sent out by the first half of December so the recipients could hang them on their Christmas trees. She did this without fail every year, until she finally gave up on the practice once my siblings and I were all in middle school and high school with multiple teachers, and instead started giving out homemade jam.

Also, how are you as a recipient? What kinds of gifts do you most like to receive, and when? How do you tend to react to a gift that you really like, or one that you really dislike?

I will be doing a similar post for the other personality types, too, just haven't gotten around to all of them yet...

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have honestly seen ISFJ's considered the best gift givers out of the types. This of course is a generalization, however, ISFJ's are interestingly set up for giving gifts. Unfortunately, we can also tell when someone does not necessarily like a gift we give, even if they try to hide it.

ISFJ gifts, I believe, are usually slightly practical in some sense, even if it is not evident to the receiver of the gift.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I agree about the handmade gift thing, or if not handmade then definitely chosen with great care as to what the recipient would like. I loathe and detest gift certificates because my feeling is that if you don't know what to buy then you really don't know the person you're buying for. The exception is if the recipient is going traveling in which case a certificate can be a good way to get themselves something without taking too much room in the suitcase.

For myself, I prefer handmade gifts as well especially if they are tailored to what I like and the more impractical the thing is, the better because I always buy practical things for myself and never anything frivolous so gifts are my only hope of getting something 'just because' :tongue:

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Personally I'm not very creative so I'm not into the hand-made thing. But I do love buying gifts and certainly put a lot of effort into it. If it's for something I know really well I will have a blast choosing something for them.

As a recipient, I honestly couldn't care less as long as they've put thought into it. The more personal the better.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I'm not really a gift-giver. Though it depends on what you mean by gift. I'm not personally inclined to handover presents to people unless I have something I sincerely know will please or interest the person. Or if something interested me, I might give them that thing. On my sister's birthday, last June, I didn't give her anything, not because I didn't care about her, but because I didn't really know what would appeal to her.

If you call performing in front of other people a gift, then I give gifts every week.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i only give out gifts during people's birthdays, not like out of random moments. but i do take some thought in personalizing their gifts aka buying something that they would like and use haha

i would prefer to make handmade gifts, but i just dont have the time; college = time consumer :wink:

·
Registered
17 Posts
i give gifts on birthdays, christmas, and formal invites

usually jewelry, roses, desserts, and maybe a nice clothing item if i know someone well

i'm not positive that i'm an isfj but it's a good possibility

·
Banned
2,036 Posts
My ISFJ wife is an inveterate gift-giver.
I am inundated with more sweaters than any one person could wear in a lifetime.
Really nice ones. Hugely expensive, if you could even buy things that well made, and of such high quality.
But she sends cards, monetary gifts, marmalade, all the time, even when she never gets thanked.
She makes necklaces and earrings for people she barely knows.
I've been discussing this with her, and she is starting to get some perspective on it.
It's what she does. Without questioning why.
Maybe that's good. Maybe not.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I love giving gifts, and I'm the one who will give a big pile of things lol. I love excuses to give things to people, i enjoy making things and have spent a lot of time making things for people, and i enjoy buying things for them too, both ways. I'm very careful with my money and never buy anything I don't need, I pretty much only spend money on gas for my car- I see things at the store I would like for myself but then say no I can't do it I don't need it so I'll save the money. Which is bad because i dont let myself enjoy it, even if i were to buy one small thing for myself i would feel guilty spending the money on myself and it will bother me, it's a little depressing just thinking about it because i know i dont do nice things for myself and i think that's a habit that i should learn to break every once in a while... :/ but I'll go and spend a lot on someone else. I'll be SO careful with my money and pass up everything i want, and then (if I have a SO) I will spend a bunch buying them a bunch of things like for example get a card, a bunch of candy, and a few other items to go with it, like i like to get multiple things to "shower them with love". I work for my money and don't let myself enjoy it, but easily go out and spend a whole bunch on a boyfriend lol. :/ Wow I think I just discovered something!

·
Banned
2,036 Posts
...I will spend a bunch buying them a bunch of things like for example get a card, a bunch of candy, and a few other items to go with it...
Hehe :) That was a nice line. What sort of items would "go with it"?

(Aside:) I just had an amusing moment: I always click the "ISFJ Forum - The Nurturers" link at the top of the page, to return to the menu. But I misread it as:
ISFJ Forum - The Nutters !

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hehe :) That was a nice line. What sort of items would "go with it"?

(Aside:) I just had an amusing moment: I always click the "ISFJ Forum - The Nurturers" link at the top of the page, to return to the menu. But I misread it as:
ISFJ Forum - The Nutters !
lol like for xmas id get him cologne, a big teddy bear, some nice chocolate, a big bag of candy and a card thats what i did one time and i go shopping and if i see any little random things he would like i add them on lol
haha the nutters

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
As SJs, of course, an ISFJ never forgets a birthday or Christmas or other special days. Their calendars are marked with the birthdays of everyone they care about, and if it's someone who isn't "important" enough to require a gift, the ISFJ will at least send a card. If for some reason the card or gift is late, the ISFJ will feel terrible about it.
The stereotypical ISFJ yes, but unfortunately, I forget most people's birthday, except my close friends and families. Sometimes, I give late gifts to even my close friends. I don't really feel anything.

ISFJs love making gifts for the people they care for. They'd rather give a handmade gift "from the heart" than something factory-made out of a store. They put a lot of time and love into these hand-made gifts, and are deeply hurt if they feel their gift is not appreciated by the recipient.
I usually shop in stores for presents for my friends because my craft work sucks. I cannot do art to save my life. Honestly, I think it's unfair to say that present shopping isn't from the heart and hand made gifts are. We spend money, time and effort shopping for presents. I would usually buy presents with my friends, and we take hours because we can't decide. I mean, I would buy the first thing that I see, but my girlfriends take ages to decide. And I hate shopping, so I would say it's from my heart if I were to shop for a person.

Also, how are you as a recipient? What kinds of gifts do you most like to receive, and when? How do you tend to react to a gift that you really like, or one that you really dislike?
It's not really the present, but the thought. One of my friends gave me a plain journal, and sweets, but I was elated. The things I dislike would probably given to me in Christmas exchanges, where you get soap or perfumes.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
What is your gift-giving style?

I have a few guesses, and I hope some of you can either confirm or correct for me...

My mother, who I suspect is an ISFJ, for years would make Christmas ornaments out of plastic canvas and yarn for every relative (one per household), close friend, and her kids' teachers. She'd start sometime in the Fall and have them all completed and sent out by the first half of December so the recipients could hang them on their Christmas trees. She did this without fail every year, until she finally gave up on the practice once my siblings and I were all in middle school and high school with multiple teachers, and instead started giving out homemade jam.

I will be doing a similar post for the other personality types, too, just haven't gotten around to all of them yet...
I enjoy making people happy and believe strongly that a gift does not have to be responded to with a gift. So if i give one it doesnt mean i want something in return. I do fully enjoy the process of buying something i think someone else will like or use and wrapping it in pretty paper and then giving it. My sister is expecially fun to give to as she always has an excited response. Appreciation is the best gift. I dont do cards. I buy only for people i deem worthy and that probably has alot to do with my not being rich. Id make a wonderful philanthropist!

·
Registered
281 Posts
old thread.. is old..

i never remember birthdays. holidays aren't important to me. i don't really like giving gifts for the sake of gift giving. i will, however, become greatly energized (to give) if i notice that someone is missing something that will make their life much easier and/or enjoyable.

·
Registered
INTJ
1,091 Posts
Okay, Ya'll just rock! I LOVE ISFJ's! one of my very good friends is an ISFJ. Unfortunately he's taken and lives in UK. but he is the best gift giver! the best gifts I've ever had in my life have come from him, because he is so thoughtful and creative! He made me CD's and some beautiful pictures he downloaded off the internet of my two favorite musicians. -when he creates something....he's an extreme perfectionist and makes sure every detail has not been forgotten! We have the best conversations, too. -I can actually truly open up and say whatever I think.....and he does the same and our jokes would probably scare most people! but he is so generous and just a sweet and thoughtful person! giving not just in things he makes...but of his time and with chatting with me! I adore him so much!

I just have to say ISFJ's rock! I love you people!!!!! -luv, your complicated INFJ friend ;-)

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
i never remember birthdays. holidays aren't important to me. i don't really like giving gifts for the sake of gift giving. i will, however, become greatly energized (to give) if i notice that someone is missing something that will make their life much easier and/or enjoyable.
That's my view on it too - I don't like being told when to give gifts and I'm not very comfortable receiving them on set occaisions but when I do decide to give one it doesn't take long - because I already know exactly what I'm looking for. If I don't know I can spend hours "shopping" and still come back empty handed :frustrating:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ok I'm a bit of a nut when it comes to gift giving. There may not be many things I think I'm *great* at, but gift giving is my specialty. It's something I take very seriously and have to have everything compiled perfectly before I give it to someone. I spend weeks making lists for what I need and researching certain products/items before I start my mad hunt in the stores. The way I stress myself out around the holidays or for a loved ones birthday is both ridiculous and hilarious.

Whatever I give always comes from the heart and a lot of time and effort goes into the gifts I give. It's a horrible feeling for me to have to resort to giving someone who I may not know that well a giftcard. I like surprising people with gifts they'd never expect. I listen to when people talk casually about something they need or would love to find. I store that in the back of my mind and months later for the next holiday/birthday I surprise them with whatever it is. I'm pretty crafty and creative so I'm very big on handmade gifts. I also love putting special touches on certain things and give special attention to the "presentation" (making handmade gift bows and gift tags, sticking confetti in a card, shopping around the internet or half a dozen stores to find the *exact* wrapping paper I had envisioned in my mind if it has some kind of significance to the gift recipient, creating a theme for a particular gift like for example: homemade cookies in a unique flavor combination that the recipient would love, wrapped in an old fashioned treat bag with a hand written recipe card) I put A LOT of attention to the details of my gifts, but that's what makes them so damn awesome. They're always unique and special in their own way!

Just last week was my best friend's birthday and here's how that went. We've been friends for 10 years and every year it's tradition for us to go to a diner and me treat her for breakfast. At breakfast I gave her one of her gifts which was a glass blown ornament that was a plate of glittery bacon and eggs and on the back was a smiling sunshine face which also made me think of her because she's a Leo and her ruling planet is the sun. She basically screamed and asked where the hell I found something like that and LOVED that I gave that ornament to her for her birthday instead of Christmas because of what it had to do with. I also remembered her telling me 2 years ago she loved Bella's bedding in Twilight and wanted to find something just like it for her bed. Naturally, I remembred that and decided to find it for her for this birthday. (And I did. The *exact* manufacturer/designer too) And this is a little random but my friend has become obsessed with pretzel rolls which apparently don't exist near where we live. I decided for her birthday I'd make my own pretzel rolls for her. I woke up at 5am on the day of her birthday so they'd be fresh for her and it took me 3 hours to make the damn things because I don't even have a stand mixer to do the work. Oh yeah and I also made her some jewelry (a couple of hand sculpted charms). Oh...and I made a strawberry shortcake ice cream birthday cake she had requested a few months ago...

I don't always go *that* insane, but it depends on the person. My best friend loves and appreciates those gestures so much so even though I stress myself out about it, I still fully enjoy it. I glow from the inside when I know I really hit the nail on the head with something just by the look on their faces. I've heard "Wow you give the best gifts ever", "Only you would be able to find this!" "How did you make ______??" "I can't believe you remembered ______!" "You're so creative and thoughtful" I'll stop now I'm not trying to toot my own horn but...toot toot. Haha.

The bottom line is I give rockin gifts and they're always so good because I *care* about making them special for whoever is receiving them. The more I know/love you, the better the gifts will be! I don't only give gifts for holidays/birthdays. If I know someone needs something or if I find something that makes me think of someone, I don't need an occasion to give it to them. Gift giving is one of the ways I like to show people I care. It's a sincere form of affection from me.

As for me receiving gifts, I definitely like it, but I prefer giving gifts. Basically if someone puts thought into whatever it is they're giving me (even if it's something useful like a giftcard to my favorite store) I'm thrilled. The more unique or personal, the more it means to me. If I receive a gift that had a lot of thought put into it, chances are I'm gonna hold onto it for the rest of my life. I still even have some cards which had an impact on me saved from over a decade ago. I'm not a hoarder though I swear. Just extremely sentimental lol.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
On the contrary to some ISFJs here, I remember everyone's birthdays including the celebrities. :shocked:
Not that I try to memorize, but it's just in my head.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I agree with some of the ISFJs here - I hate giving gifts on holidays and birthdays when everyone is expected to give gifts to each other. It seems like it's just a chore on those days, and takes away from what gift giving is about.
I like to give gifts spontaneously, and they usually involve an inside joke with someone, or they're just something I think would be useful to the recipient.
I remember when I was little, I made a piggy bank (except it was a dog) out of 2 liter bottles and some other stuff and gave one to my brother and one to my mom. Anyone else remember doing things like that?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Just last week was my best friend's birthday and here's how that went. We've been friends for 10 years and every year it's tradition for us to go to a diner and me treat her for breakfast. At breakfast I gave her one of her gifts which was a glass blown ornament that was a plate of glittery bacon and eggs and on the back was a smiling sunshine face which also made me think of her because she's a Leo and her ruling planet is the sun. She basically screamed and asked where the hell I found something like that and LOVED that I gave that ornament to her for her birthday instead of Christmas because of what it had to do with. I also remembered her telling me 2 years ago she loved Bella's bedding in Twilight and wanted to find something just like it for her bed. Naturally, I remembred that and decided to find it for her for this birthday. (And I did. The *exact* manufacturer/designer too) And this is a little random but my friend has become obsessed with pretzel rolls which apparently don't exist near where we live. I decided for her birthday I'd make my own pretzel rolls for her. I woke up at 5am on the day of her birthday so they'd be fresh for her and it took me 3 hours to make the damn things because I don't even have a stand mixer to do the work. Oh yeah and I also made her some jewelry (a couple of hand sculpted charms). Oh...and I made a strawberry shortcake ice cream birthday cake she had requested a few months ago...
Your friend is one lucky, lucky girl! I do remember making someone cry during their birthday though. It was happy tears, they were just so happy with the present me and my other friends got for them!

Reactions: Born2Blossom
1 - 20 of 20 Posts