Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm often considered a bit of a dweeb because I enjoy work. It goes with the "feeling of being needed", I suppose?
It's not necessarily that I find it fun or exciting, I just like being busy and having things to do.

So the first question is: as an ISFJ how do you feel about working? (I don't like it because _____, I enjoy ____ about working, I don't work but if I did ______, I would like it if _____, etc etc.)

The next question is about your (as an ISFJ) relationship(s) with coworker(s) and your boss.
The trouble I run into with my coworkers is that they'll usually end up trying to have me finish their duties for them while they go on break. And they have a hard time taking me seriously when I have advice or ideas. But other than that I tend to get along with everyone just fine. My boss and I have a mutual respect for one another's space and privacy so we also get along OK.

How do you get along with your coworkers and boss? (i.e. do you ever feel like the work-horse to everyone? do people take you seriously? if you have a hard time getting along with coworker(s) or your boss, why? Do you ever have trouble speaking up when your workload is too heavy or you have complaints?)

I'm very curious for other ISFJs' input. :happy: (If you're not an ISFJ feel free to share your experience(s) if you've ever worked for or with an ISFJ.)

Reactions: bob_toeback

·
Registered
997 Posts
If an ISFJ is highly trained in a certain area, they are one bad-ass worker. I don't think anyone would compare. Of course this pleases the boss, but makes the co-workers somewhat jealous. I always got along with everyone and preferred to be left alone to do my work. I was fortunate to not have hover bosses, that would have made me very uneasy. People always took me seriously, and the clients would call asking for me ... not my boss. I think they were very surprised to get my advice and then meet me at the office to find that I was so young (young 20s.) I really did like working with other people and overall had a good experience with them, even if they were upset about something ... there was always a way to find a resolution.

I've always gotten along with co-workers. I think at times they might have thought me to be strange b/c there were some days I just didn't want to be bothered by them, but after working with the same people for awhile they learn to read your cues.

·
Banned
2,886 Posts
Usually I am seen as really dependable and willing to follow through on directives. Supervisors really like this a lot, but like Shale said, it isn't always popular with co-workers. Sometimes I'd wish I'd be able to connect more with some of them. Sometimes I have a couple of work friends or occasionally I'll be invited to a work outing...There's a lot of gossip that goes around usually at workplaces too, and it makes me uncomfortable a lot of time....so I just listen mostly and try not to trash talk too much...I will do it occasionally if someone is doing something really ridiculous. Sometimes commiseration can be constructive. Mostly not though in the end.

Sometimes though, my work has been seen as slow by supervisors while I was a stock clerk at a supermarket. I never got in trouble because of that...but the facts were there and I knew t. However, I took pride in being slow and thorough though. I would say back, "I am doing it a right at least."

At first, I thought I would hate jobs and work, but my hate was caused by fear of the unknown. Usually after like 3 months the anxiety will subside, and I may actually enjoy even the most minute job if it's in a supportive environment, I don't feel like I am falling completely behind my co-workers, and there's at least some purpose.

I take work very seriously...I want to do things right and help out in tangible ways for people. I like to be part of the chain of command and follow that most of the time.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I enjoy work at times, it depends. I really enjoy co-workers for the most part. At my last job it was really good, I found when there was a large group I'd normally have trouble joining the conversation, but I was good at 1 on 1 type talk... Also, I did have the same trouble that you have, with doing other peoples work... but I turned that around lol. One of my co-workers was going to get a drink, and asked me to help a guest, and I said that they could do it, and then get their drink... Then another time a co-worker was chatting with a manager, while I did all the work... then when she was done, I asked if she had money in her register, she said she did, so I walked the floor and let her do all the work for the rest of my shift (unless it was super busy)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I like my job for the most part. The work itself suits me but what really makes a difference for me is my co-workers. When I first started this job over ten years ago, I was more weary of my co-workers and I don't think I could have or would have stayed if I it continued like this. I totally agree about the feeling of being needed; in fact, two of my co-workers expressed this to me the other week and it made me feel really good.

My boss can be a bit aggressive but she likes me so I can usually deal with the more abrasive parts of her personality. If I were on her bad side, I would have a really hard time at work.

Although my co-workers lean introverted, there are at least two extroverts in my group. I get along really well with these two. They make me see things in ways I would have never thought of.

Presently I don't have too much of a problem of others "dumping" on me; however, this has been a problem for me in the past. I especially experienced in college and grad school. I never liked group projects because I would usually end up with the majority of the work. I think one of the reasons this isn't such a problem for me at work is that there is another manager with whom I work that does get a lot dumped on him.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Very hard-working and devoted, incredibly smart and knowledgable, great at making decisions, firm but nice, vivid memory, I could go on. I love working with ISFJ's. They appreciate my analytical skills and I admire their decision making skills.

I will say, however, that when something isn't done correctly they can come storming down the hall, not considering individual circumstances and automatically assuming that people just 'aren't doing their job.' Also, when they want something done they can be really impatient and want it done RIGHT THEN and they want it done correctly (understandably). I think introverted sensing is what makes it hard to consider individual circumstances because things are often seen in black and white with that function.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I really enjoy being a stay-at-home-mom XD
I do things the way I want, how I want them- when I want and with no one but the hubby to impress so there's not a lot of pressure even though that is pretty much what drives me to do things. There's a lot of autonomy so you have to make your own schedule to really get what you want done.
I don't like working in general because when money comes into picture I really don't know what to charge for my work- I want to give more than what I receive. I enjoy doing things for others because it's rewarding for me- but the whole give and take situation is stressful for me. I rather have someone else set the standard and if I find it fair enough then I can go on just fine.. but also, I only want to work for something I can fully(morally) support. That's where the trouble is XD

I tend to love to know my co-workers and joke around and I think that's why it's hard for them to take me seriously because I'm so fun-loving.. They also don't see how stressed I am because I guess my demeanor is so calm but in my head I'm planning everything to be as efficient as possible. But yeah.. being like this has been tough- it's hard to be a friend and a
subordinate.

·
Banned
981 Posts
When I'm in a job where there's not lots of conflicts, and I am treated with respect, I do well. I want to work hard for people who've been kind to me. I'm Blessed to be in such a job now. I LOVE MY JOB!!!
That being said, where I was before, people were not treated with respect, and lots of backstabbing went on. Also, some of my coworkers mistreated and neglected our patients, which I couldn't stand. My concerns were ignored, sadly.
On the job, I am a perfectionist, and I'm always wanting to post rules, such as "PLEASE DO NOT DUMP YOUR FOOD IN THE SINK!" or "DO NOT WALK ON FRESHLY MOPPED FLOORS!"
On the other hand? I am fun loving and sociable with everyone I work with, even my bosses. My boss has even called me his PR person, even though that's not my official job. I would say that in good work conditions I am loyal, friendly, organized, and hard working.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I like to keep myself busy. I belive my boss is an INTP, so when he wants to say something he spews it all out with an attitude. I hate it. If you have something to say or ask for, filter your words.
I also dislike watching my coworkers sit on their asses when there is work to be done. I sometimes check up on them just to make sure they are not wasting time, because if they do, i'll be damned if i need to help them with something they could have done by them self. I catch myself being judgemental like this EVERY day, and i dont like this side of me, but i cant help it.
I also have a hard time helping my coworkers when they ask for minor favors they can easily do them selves.

We often have discussions in my work place, and i am persistent on being right every time. Are you guys the same?

So over to the positive stuff. Im the clown at work. I make people laugh, but more importantly, i make myself laugh. I often dance when i do my task and move around, strolling over the floor with a grin on my face. Whenever i start a task, i do it until it is done. Whenever i am free to help, i willingly help. If i need to give constructive critisism, i give it with tender words and a soft voice. I get to work on time every and try to go to work even though im sick.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I enjoy working, be it paid, volunteer, or just around the house. I think of it as fulfilling to be able to contribute to a group. It's especially enjoyable if I am working with someone who I am close to or if I can develop the relationships with co-workers. The human element is a huge part of what makes some of my favorite tasks what they are, so I prefer less formal work enviornments. I would honestly be perfectly happy working long hours and/or "bad" jobs so long as that human element were satisfying.

I can't say I've ever had any issues with co-workers. We get along amiably well. I let them do their jobs, and they let me do mine. I have had issues with competetitve co-workers in the past, mainly because they make me feel very unappreciated in their efforts to "win". However, I've always found my bosses are very satisfied with my work, both in effort and ability (I pick up new skills, tasks, and rules quickly).

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
Very hard-working and devoted, incredibly smart and knowledgable, great at making decisions, firm but nice, vivid memory, I could go on. I love working with ISFJ's. They appreciate my analytical skills and I admire their decision making skills.
Word to yer motherboard.
:proud:
I will say, however, that when something isn't done correctly they can come storming down the hall, not considering individual circumstances and automatically assuming that people just 'aren't doing their job.' Also, when they want something done they can be really impatient and want it done RIGHT THEN and they want it done correctly (understandably). I think introverted sensing is what makes it hard to consider individual circumstances because things are often seen in black and white with that function.
I've endured many a circumstance kind of a lot like that, though I'm not necessarily sure it was an ISFJ that got "all upons" my funky self. Oftentimes, when the head honcho (or whatever the female version of "honcho" is) is Choleric with unbalanced tendencies, they won't even let you explain yourself. They'll first demand that you explain your "failure" (which was likely inevitable anyway, due to some Systemic Anomaly leading to Unforseen Consequences - and kudos if you get that dual reference there), then cut you off while you're explaining yourself because they don't like the idea of people being allowed to defend their positions. Again, I'm not talking about ISFJs. They tend to be predominantly Phlegmatic empaths anyway, so many of them have likely been victims of this sort of thing. What I'm talking about is the Nurse Ratched types that tend to be on the extreme Choleric end of the spectrum but have never developed their Guardian side.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts