Personality Cafe banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thank you so much for addressing this, I try not to admit it but I even bore myself every time I open my mouth. Whenever I’m with a group of friends I try to do something helpful and practical so that I don’t have to sit with them and worry that I'm being too boring the whole time. When I feel comfortable with people I’m actually really fun, but I’m still worried about being boring and ruining their good time. I’m so happy other people feel that way too!

We should have an IS_J thread where we can all vent our feelings and sympathize with each other so we can stop repressing and burying them by working extra hard :tongue:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Oh, and ISFJs are my favourite type to see get excited about something. Some of my favourite people on this earth are ISFJs and it just takes a bit of time to get to know them. ISFJs are usually really calm so when they get excited and their eyes light up and their speech pace quickens it’s the most adorable and authentic thing! It makes me a lot happier to see an ISFJ get excited than an ENFP or ESFP who seem to get excited about everything.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
This is true to me as well, i always think i am too boring for people. I try to say to myself "its not boring, its consistent" but lets be real it must be boring on the outside.

·
Registered
146 Posts
You really can't blame something like that on your type. Like an ENTP could be the most boring person you've ever met, how someone gathers and processes information really doesn't say that much. Your personality is so much more than that.

Find some hobbies, something you have passion for, you don't necessarily have to be good at it. Meet new people. Go outside dude idk.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I will admit I wasn’t excited when I found out I was an ISFJ and read up on the stereotypes and descriptions. I feel like those descriptions are a poor representation of us and don’t represent who we truly are. They just see us as less controlling versions of ESFJs. When really we are quietly caring, contemplative, and always put the needs of others before ourselves. I know my close friends and family appreciate me so I don’t let the stereotypes bother me too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
726 Posts
i know a few ISFJs and the word "boring" would never come up in my description of them.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I'm an isfj and have never seen myself as boring. I consider myself to be smart, funny , caring and talented I'm surprised that some of you think so low of yourselves. Maybe it's not an isfj thing. ..maybe you've allowed your lives and image to become bland in some way? Or could it be a self esteem issue? I think that isfjs are nice and also seen as safe and stable people, but also very warm and lovely to be around. Boring is not a word I associate with isfjs, really.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Do some more research with the ISFJs around you. It is one of the more likely types to follow routine (dom Si and all). But with routine comes stability. Use that Ne if you must, if there's one thing ISFJs are good at, it's planning ahead of time and sticking to it. So why not follow the first crazy (yet practical) idea you have? It might be the stereotypes that you're immersing yourself in, a good example is Marge Simpson, she is an ISFJ and finds cleaning fun. However she used to be more fun, then she started finding basic housewife things fun. Be like old Marge, not new Marge! Practical yet willing to go out of your comfort zone.

·
Registered
569 Posts
i'm an isfj and i find my type rather boring.....
More like underrated.

Really. The ISFJs I know are funny and insightful. Can that really be anything less than expected in a person with the tools to catalogue and understand the intricacies of human nature? (i.e., dom/aux Si and Fe?)

·
Registered
84 Posts
i'm an isfj and i find my type rather boring.....no means of offence to all yall. it just seems that there's no spark to me, like i'm just a little of everything and not interesting enough to function. if someone were to describe my personality, it's like there's nothing to say.
I'm not sure how you personally define boring ; does it mean not unique or not funny? For me ISFJ is fun to be with but they're like a basic human template (no offence) mainly because there're so many ISFJ around me already. You guys also have no noticable differences unlike ENTP debater, ruthless ENTJ leader or poetic INFP. But no, you guys aren't boring. Your personality is just the most common type I meet in my daily life. Perhaps there's a good reason why there're many ISFJ here.

·
Registered
266 Posts
they're like a basic human template (no offence)
None taken (*poorly attempts to repress ISFJ susceptibility to criticism*) As a basic template, we should have the freedom to fill it in with any crazy and unique details we want and be like no other ISFJ ;) And in fact, the way we build up our memories and personality subjectively with Si should, in theory, make us capable of impressive uniqueness.

I read in another thread (many or may not have been in this forum) that a group of Ni-doms, for example, would look at a work of art and all come to a similar interpretation whereas, a group of Si-doms would have a wider range of subjective interpretations. I'd call that more interesting if we are in competition (which we aren't, but - just sayin')

Sure, we are attached to our past and traditions, but these are a past and traditions that are ~~unique~~ to us. My "tradition" is the way my unique family did things while growing up, things that other families never did. My tradition is all the experiences in my life that have made an impression on me and left an imprint. The world is so vast and traditions so varied, how can any ISFJ be like another?

No one who knows me calls me boring. I make an impression on people. People remember my name - When I worked in tech support, people would call in and ask for me by name because I was the nice one. Yeah, I fit some of the stereotypes too, like apologizing when someone else is at fault, being too nice for my own good, but I am more than just "nice." I am smart and witty. I have a parlor trick or two to my name. I completed (albeit painfully with Si-Ti) a degree in physics. I don't quite have the intuitive power to go far in that field, but ISFJs are capable of far more than baking and knitting (not that those aren't admirable talents too!).

The problem is that too many ISFJs are mistyped as NFJs and NFPs such that all we have left wearing the label are the ones who fit more or less the stereotype. I was mistyped myself for a long time.

·
Registered
84 Posts
None taken (poorly attempts to repress ISFJ susceptibility to criticism)
I can assure you no harm, I'm just being honest.

The problem is that too many ISFJs are mistyped as NFJs and NFPs such that all we have left wearing the label are the ones who fit more or less the stereotype. I was mistyped myself for a long time.
Couldn't agree more. I've mistyped my friend due to her attitude at work. She isn't the people pleaser person and far from being vulnerable at criticism, in fact her motto is always like "you hate me? Not my problem". I personally see that ISFJ are different to each other, in term of their upbringing and family background. But they're always the "I'm nice and will not hurt you" type which is pleasing to know that these are the majority people in the world.

For me I still can't see how ISFJ can be unique to each other in term of personality but I definitely appreciate them making the majority type. I guess you can say that sometimes common things aren't appreciated until they're gone, like what happened to people common sense. I honestly wouldn't trade any ISFJ with another type, let alone to my own or others. Imagine those intense types being the majority, it will definitely bring us to an endless war. 3 or 4 of each types are fine and I like half of my circle of friends made up of ISFJ. In fact, half of them are.

Also, who would forget the name of nice people? :proud:

·
Registered
266 Posts
What I read into "basic human template" and "can't see how ISFJ can be unique to each other" is along the lines of "if you've met one ISFJ, you've met them all." This could just as well be said of any personality type. Except, that's not how it works. If it was, then there would only be 16 unique types of people in the world and that would be pretty boring. People of the same time, whether ISFJ or ESFP or whatever are not carbon copies of each other. Every human is far more than a four letter code. Other aspects of personality (enneagram, hobbies, talents, whatever) shape every human into one of a kind.

Take, for example, these three famous ISFJs: Rosa Parks, Florence Nightingale, and Brian May. Rosa stands out for her display of what some may initially mistake as Fi and for disrupting harmony rather than preserving it for a cause. Florence in a stereotypically ISFJ field of work, but a pioneer within that field. And Brian May, a Ph.D in astrophysics AND guitarist in one of the most famous bands? How's that for kicking stereotype butt (ISFJs frequently considered the least intelligent of all the types). These three people are hardly alike.

Being "nice" and "not hurting people" isn't a quality that undermines individuality, nor is it exclusive to ISFJs. Though I am here trying to make a case for the uniqueness of all people regardless of type, I must admit that I think most people are boring when encountered in a generic public space. One or two people may stand out to me as unique every few weeks, but the rest are all the same to me on the surface. This is going to include more than ISFJs since 13% is not the majority of the population. It's when I get to know people one-on-one that their personality really unfolds. ISFJs being more modest and humble than most, don't tend to brag openly so I can see why they may be initially viewed as basic templates, but they say still waters run deep and I believe it.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
i'm an isfj and i find my type rather boring.....no means of offence to all yall. it just seems that there's no spark to me, like i'm just a little of everything and not interesting enough to function. if someone were to describe my personality, it's like there's nothing to say.
Obviously, you haven't met me, dear. *Sparkles*

Being or feeling interesting isn't a matter of type - if that's the metric that you're use, then something like 50% of the population are mindless drones due to SJ statistics and stereotypes. I mean, full power to you if that is what you think, but...abundance mindset, you know? If you feel like you're boring, take up a hobby, make yourself feel better about yourself. Do rockclimbing, study astrology, learn to dance, tabletop roleplaying, anything!

No type is inherently boring - it's a choice that each person makes.~

·
Registered
My vehicle is INFP, 9w8. Vroom vroom!!
1,593 Posts
ISFJs are definitely not boring.

People who think that ISxJs are boring are people who are lazy and boring themselves—they don't have enough personal drive to actually get to know somebody. Those kinds of people don't have enough vision to see someone beyond surface level, and they exist on the earth as toothpaste dots on a mirror.

Of my three well-known ISFJ friends:

#1: My friends and I adore when she says something salty! It's always so true and someone probably needed to say it months ago! She and her toxic boyfriend are finally broken up, so now it's great to watch as her inner strength again possesses her. And she has the most beautiful sound on bassoon that I've ever heard. I hope she eventually goes for a performance degree. She's the only one of her sisters that has actually dared to stand on her own two feet.

#2: He is like Mary Poppins. Seriously! He does so many music things. He teaches elementary school music and choir, and he plays in a band with friends that provides music to a dance venue, and he plays in his church band. He is a very skilled multi-instrumentalist and vocalist. Very impressive. He impressed me in school by his hard work. I could have never worked as hard as he did—and he still kept a social life and a positive attitude through it all!

#3: He is a very skilled musician and teacher. (I guess every ISFJ musician I've met has been a complete artist at what they do! Very gifted people.) He's 15 or so years older than the other two friends, so he has accumulated an even more varied profile of musical and educational experiences. He works masterfully and is so kind and generous. His culinary palette is also very refined because he was a chef as a teen. He's proof that ISFJs age like fine wine, and they appear more deep, creative, and unique the more you get to know them. It's a reward for giving new friendships a try and sticking it out.

ISFJs can do anything they put their minds to—which means they can do SO MANY things well because they have the inclination to put their mind to it!!

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
People who think that ISxJs are boring are people who are lazy and boring themselves—they don't have enough personal drive to actually get to know somebody. Those kinds of people don't have enough vision to see someone beyond surface level, and they exist on the earth as toothpaste dots on a mirror.
I don't know enough ISFJ to claim that the situation is the same for ISTJ as it is for ISFJ, but your description fits ISTJ very well. We tend to have absolutely no interest in expending energy to entertain those we don't (know well enough to) give a crap about. Those that find us boring can draw their own conclusions from that.

·
Banned
3,344 Posts
People who find other people boring are themselves empty, having no spark of life in themselves, always looking for something new to quell the ever deafening silence within themselves, but will never find fulfillment.
I'd prefer "boring" over exciting or entertaining. I don't need someone to entertain me. I have plenty of interests to keep myself occupied for a few centuries, and am never bored. I'm all paint and no canvas.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
No way!

My mom's an ISFJ and she's so creative, she's picked up so many useful skills and talents that it's wonderful to have her around. Everything from home repairs/improvements and professional painting including trim, to hairdressing, quality sewing knitting ect, culinary expertise, and the list goes on.
She's also the one that rushes in to save everyone from the spiders, huge palmetto bugs, and even snakes, while we keep back and make fearful noises
Disclaimer: she's from Australia, so that helps too ;)
She's one of the strongest people I know, and one of the most selfless.

Totally not boring! No more repeating that nonsense!

21 - 40 of 59 Posts