Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've been thinking about the differences between ISFJs and ISFPs, and I think because ISFPs' feeling function is Introverted(Fi), our preference for Introversion is more obvious and we are more likely to brood about our feelings alone, whereas ISFJs feeling function is Extroverted(Fe) which means that they may be more likely to express how they are feeling, and may be able to even mimic Extroverts. In fact, I think some of the ISFJs in my family do that. Does this resonate with you, ISFJs, or are most of you more reserved than that?

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
Its an interesting theory but i dont know. Some ISFPs on this forum seem quite obvious about their feelings. Maybe thats just because this is an anonymous forum. I do find that there seems to be a constant misunderstanding with ISFPs and myself. I only know one in real life and she is quite reserved. She is a friend of my sisters so chances are if we were closer she would open up more. I do try to mirror extroverts to some degree, mostly because i can usually tell quickly what people expect of me. Being reserved with extroverts leads them to ask questions like "are you ok" or say things like "you are so quiet". I try to keep the peace, so giving people what the want is an easy way to do that assuming its not something i care about. I also feel that I should take it as a compliment if people inquire about me since they at least find me interesting. If people are nice to me i try to be nice to them. When i get upset i find its best to just explode rather than hold in my feelings if at all possible. It gives people information: im mad, why im mad, what i expect from them and not to further annoy me.

Reactions: AussieChick

·
Registered
379 Posts
I've read that ISFx's are the most extroverted introverts, and it makes sense to me. I wouldn't know who's more likely to be more extroverted. If you do get the more extroverted ISFxs, I see it something like this:

ISFPs: auxiliary Se, more likely to be bright, funny entertainer, playful, cracking jokes, life of the party (more likely a group of friends)

ISFJs: auxiliary Fe, more likely to be the person that knows everything about everyone & what’s happening, sweet & warm

Me personally, I wouldn't say I come across as extroverted most of the time, my default mode is reserved, but often (more and more often recently) I take a chance open up to people I don't know that well, start being warm & friendly. I'm not too bad at small talk either. If you saw me amongst my friends you probably could mistake me for an extrovert.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I'm surprised at how extroverted I am sometimes.I actually used to be a lot more introverted when I was younger.My daughter is an ISFP and can be very extroverted when she wants to be.This is more so with people she knows well,like her social circle of friends.

·
Registered
878 Posts
If you saw me amongst my friends you probably could mistake me for an extrovert.
Me too. Even in small groups of strangers, particularly if it's one on one, I'm going to look quite extroverted if there's something to talk about and some sort of rapport - most especially if the person I'm with is an extrovert and makes conversation easily.

Reactions: AussieChick

·
Registered
38 Posts
I can believe that. You know how there are sometimes shy extroverts? Well, I think I'm the opposite: an outgoing introvert. I start conversations with strangers, I talk loudly in class, and I love to perform in front of a crowd--but I re-energize alone. Often I'll get ESFx on tests because of the questions asked. I'm not really reserved, but after too much socialization, I can get this way.

So yeah, for me, it makes sense for the ISFJ to look somewhat extroverted.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I can believe that. You know how there are sometimes shy extroverts? Well, I think I'm the opposite: an outgoing introvert. I start conversations with strangers, I talk loudly in class, and I love to perform in front of a crowd--but I re-energize alone. Often I'll get ESFx on tests because of the questions asked. I'm not really reserved, but after too much socialization, I can get this way.

So yeah, for me, it makes sense for the ISFJ to look somewhat extroverted.
I bolded the bits that I can relate to.I'm the same I may seem shy and reserved in large groups of people but when with one or two people I can be the life of the party

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
It depends. I'm only extroverted when it comes to my small group of friends. I don't think that's considered extroversion though.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm really in-between ISFJ and ISTJ, but I recognize more ISFJ characteristics in myself...

Like many have said, it depends. If the person I am with is an extrovert, then yes, and if the person I am with is possibly more introverted than me (which I didn't think was possible...but apparently...), I will mask extroversion, but I can guarantee I am terribly uncomfortable with it and by the end of it all I MUST recharge by myself. ^^;

I know a lady who is an ISFJ and she acts very extroverted sometimes...going up and saying hello to people she just met, talking with them for long periods of time. As a kid she was apparently rather outgoing...

·
Registered
209 Posts
My thought's on this for both ISFPs and ISFJs:

As an ISFJ, my learning style is one that can be described as "show and tell." When I see something happened after or while it is explained to me, I can replicate it almost perfectly. I don't know if this is true for other ISFJs. But if it is, I'm going to attribute it to our dominant Si that takes information in to be expelled in an appropriate manner later. In this way I think we are very able to see and mimic extroverted behavior when we feel comfortable, as it is not our natural living style.

For ISFPs, I recall what my ISFP sister said (see what I did there) about how she used her auxiliary Se in making an impulsive decision resulting in her being more extroverted; she dyed her hair blue. Before she was uncomfortable with the silence of not knowing what to say and that having blue hair was sort of an ice-breaker as people were always curious about it.

"And that's all I have to say about that." -Forest Gump

·
Registered
914 Posts
I have to post, every time I read this, I think it says "Good morning extroverts" .. -_-
anyway, yeah I think I can be good at mirroring extroverts, or being extroverted, though it really depends who I am around :p

Reactions: NineTypesOfLight
1 - 11 of 11 Posts