Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The second question I've wondered about for quite awhile and I'm curious to see what other ISFJ's say.

Best Friend: ISFP
Other Close Friends: ESTP, INFP, ISTJ, ENTP

After thinking about why I love my friends so much one thing comes to mind. They keep me out of the thinking that life is some sort of routine, just because of who they are, they seem so free and unique compared to myself. In addition, they are very interesting and absolutely GREAT people to talk to and give me good perspective on anything.

I almost feel like some sort of high or exhileration after talking to them. Understanding who they are and accepting them for themselves, has really helped me develop by Fe and be a much happier person.

When you no longer think of life as some sort of routine or grind with repetitiveness, you get out of using your Si more than you want to, at least thats how it works for me. You stop looking at the past, and start living in the present.

Parents

Dad: ENTJ
Mom: ENFJ

My parents and I are different to say the least, but MBTI has really helped me understand them. I had them both take the test, and it has helped me to get along with them better and know what makes them tick.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hm...

My best friend is an INTP. Around him I'm almost never glum, because his conversation always takes my mind off of my worries. He also has a way of making me a little crazy- everything he's ever done that could potentially get him into trouble, I talked him into doing it. Never crimes or anything like that, just pressing buttons he shouldn't and dropping textbooks on sharpies, leaving giant stains on the school floor... silly things like that I'd never do, and neither would he usually.

Around his friend, an INTJ, I'm quite talkative. My best friend and I bounce around lots of banter trying to get our INTJ to join in because he's always been a really quiet person. Even when he talks he has a very soft voice. When it's just me and the INTJ, though, we don't talk very much and there's a lot of awkward silence. We don't have many common interests, and on his own he's just not talkative.

My two best online friends are also INTP and INTJ, amusingly enough. They both know me but they don't know eachother so there's no group dynamic as with my offline friends.

My girlfriend (my boyfriend for two years, this year making the decision to become a trans) is an INFJ. We always follow eachother into whatever the other one is doing and take pride in being a team. This carries into our roles in video games we play- she is usually the designated damage absorber and attacker, while I sustain and assist from behind.

I'm not quite sure what type my parents and siblings are, but my relationships with them tend to be keeping them content, or avoiding their ire, usually them entirely in the case of my father. I'm kind of distant with my immediate family these days.

I have a feeling my grandfather is either an ISFJ like myself or an INFJ. He's very religious and nowadays that leads to some awkward conversation (because I am not, but I haven't told him because it would break his heart). He can't tell his grandchildren no, though. I was a spoiled little kid. It's either a grandfather thing or an IxFJ thing. Though, he was probably more concerned with me getting what I wanted than getting what I actually needed. I only started to feel guilty about it when I was old enough to learn what kind of financial strain I was causing.

·
Registered
274 Posts
My mom took the MBTI years ago. I think she was an ENFP. She's an ambitious, friendly, enthusiastic person and constantly encourages me to be more bold and try new things. She is thick-skinned while I am sensitive. I don't know what my father's type is - he's the steadying force in my mom's life. He's really patient - I wish I had more of that!

I'm not sure what type my boyfriend/best friend is. I sent him a personality test last Friday and if he does it then I'll know the result. He's logical, philosophical, confident, and organized. He is stoic outwardly, but has a lot of passion under the surface. Many people find him "mysterious" since he is so reserved (but he is a great salesperson) and is fine with having a small group of friends. We get along really well. We're both quiet and soft-spoken, but we're talkative with each other. I tend to be emotional and anxious, and his calm demeanor and logical advice help me see situations from a new perspective. One thing I really like about him is that he understands my reflective nature and so the silences between us (like on the phone) aren't awkward - he just wants until I am ready to talk and we go from there. He's the same way so I do that for him too.

A good male friend of mine is an ENFJ. I tend to be more spontaneous and talkative in his presence. One of my childhood friends is an ESFP. I haven't seen her in a long time, but the personality description certainly fits! The majority of my online friends are INFP's; at least two others are ISFJ's, three are INFJ's, and one is an INTJ. The INTJ I really admire for her independence and drive.

Reactions: Hopeful N Happy

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hm...

My best friend is an INTP. Around him I'm almost never glum, because his conversation always takes my mind off of my worries. He also has a way of making me a little crazy- everything he's ever done that could potentially get him into trouble, I talked him into doing it. Never crimes or anything like that, just pressing buttons he shouldn't and dropping textbooks on sharpies, leaving giant stains on the school floor... silly things like that I'd never do, and neither would he usually.

Around his friend, an INTJ, I'm quite talkative. My best friend and I bounce around lots of banter trying to get our INTJ to join in because he's always been a really quiet person. Even when he talks he has a very soft voice. When it's just me and the INTJ, though, we don't talk very much and there's a lot of awkward silence. We don't have many common interests, and on his own he's just not talkative.

My two best online friends are also INTP and INTJ, amusingly enough. They both know me but they don't know eachother so there's no group dynamic as with my offline friends.

My girlfriend (my boyfriend for two years, this year making the decision to become a trans) is an INFJ. We always follow eachother into whatever the other one is doing and take pride in being a team. This carries into our roles in video games we play- she is usually the designated damage absorber and attacker, while I sustain and assist from behind.

I'm not quite sure what type my parents and siblings are, but my relationships with them tend to be keeping them content, or avoiding their ire, usually them entirely in the case of my father. I'm kind of distant with my immediate family these days.

I have a feeling my grandfather is either an ISFJ like myself or an INFJ. He's very religious and nowadays that leads to some awkward conversation (because I am not, but I haven't told him because it would break his heart). He can't tell his grandchildren no, though. I was a spoiled little kid. It's either a grandfather thing or an IxFJ thing. Though, he was probably more concerned with me getting what I wanted than getting what I actually needed. I only started to feel guilty about it when I was old enough to learn what kind of financial strain I was causing.
I know an INFJ and we have always gotten along well. It seems like we have "important" similarities, wheras our differences are small or not as important. I think ISFJ's and INFJ's in general would probably get along most of the time, I'm not sure I could have a serious relationship with another ISFJ or INFJ though. There is something about agreeing alot with someone and seemingly always seeing things through a similar lens that seems to turn me off, if I am thinking about pursuing a serious relationship with them.

Wheras instead of profound agreement, I tend to "relate," understand and/or appreciate ISFPs, INFPs, INTPs, ENTPs and ESTP's that I have known. There is something magical about coming to the realization that ya this person is different from me and may see things differently than I do, but I can respect their individuality, I can learn a tremendous amount for them, and alot of what they say can still make sense even if its something I wouldn't necessarily believe.

I guess in general I "get along" best with INFJs, ISFJs, ESFJs and ESTJs, because of our sense of a shared vision or culture. However, the conversations I have with these types of people tend to be dry, lacking passion or stimulating thought to me, or just boring.

Wheras while initially I usually don't understand or accept ESTPs, ISFPs, INFPs, INTPs and ENTPs, as the time passes and relationship gets stronger, I appreciate and value their friendship beyond belief.

I'm not sure if I have met an INTJ...yet haha.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My mom took the MBTI years ago. I think she was an ENFP. She's an ambitious, friendly, enthusiastic person and constantly encourages me to be more bold and try new things. She is thick-skinned while I am sensitive. I don't know what my father's type is - he's the steadying force in my mom's life. He's really patient - I wish I had more of that!

I'm not sure what type my boyfriend/best friend is. I sent him a personality test last Friday and if he does it then I'll know the result. He's logical, philosophical, confident, and organized. He is stoic outwardly, but has a lot of passion under the surface. Many people find him "mysterious" since he is so reserved (but he is a great salesperson) and is fine with having a small group of friends. We get along really well. We're both quiet and soft-spoken, but we're talkative with each other. I tend to be emotional and anxious, and his calm demeanor and logical advice help me see situations from a new perspective. One thing I really like about him is that he understands my reflective nature and so the silences between us (like on the phone) aren't awkward - he just wants until I am ready to talk and we go from there. He's the same way so I do that for him too.

A good male friend of mine is an ENFJ. I tend to be more spontaneous and talkative in his presence. One of my childhood friends is an ESFP. I haven't seen her in a long time, but the personality description certainly fits! The majority of my online friends are INFP's; at least two others are ISFJ's, three are INFJ's, and one is an INTJ. The INTJ I really admire for her independence and drive.
I wonder if there is a general correlation about ISFJs that draws us to INXX's...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree with both of you. My friends help me relax, relieve me of current worries, and just enjoy life while I am in their presence. Maybe thats particularly indicative of ISFJs or maybe thats just what friends do, regardless of the types of people who are friends. It definitely is a great feeling.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I know an INFJ and we have always gotten along well. It seems like we have "important" similarities, wheras our differences are small or not as important. I think ISFJ's and INFJ's in general would probably get along most of the time, I'm not sure I could have a serious relationship with another ISFJ or INFJ though. There is something about agreeing alot with someone and seemingly always seeing things through a similar lens that seems to turn me off, if I am thinking about pursuing a serious relationship with them.
I see where you're coming from. I'm actually also interested in the INTP, but things are complicated so I'm sticking with my INFJ for now. Any sort of dissent between us is totally unrelated to her type, though, I believe, so there is that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts