Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
By now I'm sure I'm an ISFP. But after more than half a year I still can't settle on my Enneagram. I seriously considered E8 at some point, but dropped it because something like 4 or 5 seemed more fitting. People in here were telling me I talk and care way too much about insecruties and vulberbilities to be an 8 and the main reason I dropped it was just that the types I considered weren't the typical 8 typings, but rather stuff like NFs.

Since I settled on ISFP I bounced between 4 and 9, two types I strongly considered before but never seemed to completely click. 8 just clicks in a way that it'd explain so much. My whole life I felt this contradictive mix: being really powerful and seeking power in order to be not weak but at the same time to get there I don't ever cut anyone short. I don't deny my own feelings. Compassion comes to me like its nothing. I'm a Fi-dom, I know that for sure by now. And I'm not CP6, trust me. I know 6s, many. Easy to spot. Because they are so not me. I'm my own authority. They seem incapable of really believing that they could ever be their own authority. I can't relate to that at all. Def no 6.

9s I can relate to. I think cause I'm a 8w9. But I also know 9s in real life and again, I can tell they're different. I have direct access to my anger if I want to, they do not possess this, only when they geht really triggered. I have it constantly. Then again, being a Fi-dom I learned really early to care about everything and thats why I think I'm rarely being destructive with it. Like I said, I don't deny my feelings, even if I wanted, Fi wouldn't let me. Thats a really good counter for 8s defensive mechanism of denying, because while I use it, I can never really turn off compassion or my own feelings.

So 4 is the next best bet and I'm sure it comes right after 8 in my Tritype, but the reason I don't believe I'm a main 4 is because they are simply too pussy at their core. 8s are too, every type is, but for Enneagram 4s its really all about this attachment to loss. I can relate, but it doesn't go as far with me. At my core is a need to be strong, to be able to protect and be strong. I'm sensitive in the truest sense of the world, as in I'm constantly in touch with my feelings. Still though, theres no one I wouldn't stand up to, no one I wouldn't challenge. This awareness of my kind heartedness and sensitivity just fuels the fixation of trying not to be weak because "I'm a strong person but people may easily think they can push over me so I better show them they fuckin can't". And the way I show that may not look like the typical dominating, aggressive 8 way, but underneath I guess is the same wish of control-feeling.
In a way I'm an 8 with the very best intentions, but that doesnt necessarily mean healthy.

First I was on the fence of 'every type can be any Enneagram' but as I got more into it I also started doubting it. But I really think I'm one of those weirdos... A 8 IFP. :crazy:

Anyway, this got long, any input is appreciated!

·
Registered
615 Posts
1. I do believe that any MB type can be any Enneagram, and I think that it is best to handle the systems entirely separately before trying to blend them. So sure, decide you're an ISFP and decide you're an 8, and then figure out what that means. I accept the possibility of an ISFP 8 existing. (I don't think we have any prominent xxFP-8s posting right now, but we have seen people type as both.)

2. But several times through this post you emphasize a strong connection to your feelings: "I don't deny my own feelings. Compassion comes to me like its nothing." "I can never really turn off compassion or my own feelings." "I'm constantly in touch with my feelings." This seems to be your biggest hangup. (To be fair, none of those quotes exactly scream 8 to me.)

3. But you also assert that you are a type 8. There is no "I might be" or "I am considering". There is only "I am". You have your profile set as 8w9 and your signature shares that information as well.

4. Which makes me wonder the point of this thread? You don't seem to have any questions about how being an ISFP *and* an 8 would work or about 8's finer points. You don't seem to doubt the pairing, yourself. This post could work as an introductory post to the board, I suppose, but more than anything... it comes across as seeking validation to me, like you're wanting people (8s) to welcome you and approve of your typing(s)?

Like, dude. If you're an 8, you're an 8, and if you're not, you're not. It's no big deal either way.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Like, dude. If you're an 8, you're an 8, and if you're not, you're not. It's no big deal either way.
Bro, it kind of issa big deal. :/
Like I want closure in this. Yea I have my profile and sig set to 8 cause thats what I'm going with ATM.

I guess I just want peoples take on I(S)FP 8s, if they think they actually exist and/or experience, knowledge they can share.
(https://thoughtcatalog.com/heidi-priebe/2016/01/mbti-and-the-enneagram-2/11/
This site f.e. straight up says E8 ISFPs don't exist)

I'm actually seeing you type as INFJ 8 - how did you set on that?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Bro, it kind of issa big deal. :/
Like I want closure in this. Yea I have my profile and sig set to 8 cause thats what I'm going with ATM.

I guess I just want peoples take on I(S)FP 8s, if they think they actually exist and/or experience, knowledge they can share.
(https://thoughtcatalog.com/heidi-priebe/2016/01/mbti-and-the-enneagram-2/11/

That begs an important question--what is a big deal, and why is it a big deal (I guess that's two questions). Is it important to know what Enneagram type you are, or is it important that you be an 8w9? Or is it important that we accept you as an 8w9?

In the end, you are who you are, regardless of what other people think of you, and regardless of why Enneagram type you are. If you are an 8, that's great, and welcome. If you aren't an 8, that's totally cool, and welcome.

What caused you to change your mind recently?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Okay, I'm gonna be that dick. This site does not say that "E8 ISFPs don't exist". It says that (somewhere, somehow, through methods not revealed or mentioned) they found 67 ISFPs and none of those 67 people thought they were E8. Insert all of the canned rants about bias, skewed results, untrustworthy self-typings, blah blah blah.

Like I want closure in this.
ftr, THIS is what makes it sound like you're just making this thread so all the regular 8s can give you little stamps of approval or something. Why are random strangers' opinions necessary or desired for closure?

(Which, if we're being frank, doesn't exactly make you sound like an 8.)

(And like, let's be real, the weird search for a type with all its pitfalls and doubts and typological questions probably doesn't make sound like an 8. When a person is new to a thing, they're generally much more willing to look to other people for their knowledge and experience. But still.)

Oh, I did MB long before I got into Enneagram, so I'd already settled into INFJ (though I did originally type as INTJ, for years). I conceptualize "INFJ" differently than most people. So to me, this pairing makes perfect sense, but I understand why it confuses most everyone else.

It took me longer to settle on 8. It was the first type I eliminated on my preliminary reviews; the first test I took put me at 6, with 8 as the lowest score, and I was so relieved that I hadn't typed as 8. I cycled through considering most others before finally saying "fuck it". I actually did a thread on here too, to help figure it out, but the post was mostly like, "what's more important to typing, how you think you act, or literally every other part of your personality?" So that's that. A few people have tried to give me shit for the combo, but most people have ignored it or kept it to themselves.

fwiw, I'm not opposed to the idea of an ISFP 8. I'm sure one exists somewhere, and you very well may be one. But I will say that your OP very clearly displays why you believe yourself to be an Fi-dom, but it does not give that same attention to why you see yourself as an 8. You spend more time arguing against 6 and 4 (and kind of 9) than you do arguing for 8.

Why is that?

·
Grumpy old bastard
10,085 Posts
seems like a type me thread.

ISFP 8's for sure exist.

what kind of art do you do?

sometimes something will piss you off. and you will light up, and nuke someone's ass. Does this energize you? Make you ALIVE!!! Make it so you can't sleep that night cuz it feels so good?

Or does it drain you so you have to go cry and regroup for a day or three?

Reactions: nablur and Temizzle

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE=lametaoist;39593361]That begs an important question--what is a big deal, and why is it a big deal (I guess that's two questions). Is it important to know what Enneagram type you are, or is it important that you be an 8w9? Or is it important that we accept you as an 8w9?[/QUOTE]

It's important for me to know I'm an 8 because I use the Enneagram for (self) understanding and growth and obviously being typed rightly is essential for that.
Like I said it took me half a year to settle on ISFP, realizing this finally was really helpful. It's hard for me to explain myself because it seems so obvious to me... fuck does it bring me if I for example if I'd buy a book on Enneagram 4 for self growth when I'm actually an 8? Am I really not making sense? lol

Okay, I'm gonna be that dick. This site does not say that "E8 ISFPs don't exist". It says that (somewhere, somehow, through methods not revealed or mentioned) they found 67 ISFPs and none of those 67 people thought they were E8.
Why are you a dick thats actually helpful. :p You're right, didn't look at it like that.

ftr, THIS is what makes it sound like you're just making this thread so all the regular 8s can give you little stamps of approval or something. Why are random strangers' opinions necessary or desired for closure?
Well, I figure other 8s are gonna know the most about being an 8. Again, I don't see exactly whats so weird about desiring that input for closure.

I conceptualize "INFJ" differently than most people. So to me, this pairing makes perfect sense, but I understand why it confuses most everyone else.
Insert ISFP for INFJ and I could say exactly the same thing. So this is reassuring
I cycled through considering most others before finally saying "fuck it". I actually did a thread on here too, to help figure it out, but the post was mostly like, "what's more important to typing, how you think you act, or literally every other part of your personality?" So that's that. A few people have tried to give me shit for the combo, but most people have ignored it or kept it to themselves.
Again, this basically sounds like me right now. :p

seems like a type me thread.
Kinda is one.

what kind of art do you do?
I guess you could say typical ISFP stuff, meaning I like art thats tangible. I like music the most and love pretty asthetic shit.

sometimes something will piss you off. and you will light up, and nuke someone's ass. Does this energize you? Make you ALIVE!!! Make it so you can't sleep that night cuz it feels so good?

Or does it drain you so you have to go cry and regroup for a day or three?
It energizes me but then again I don't get off of getting on other people.

I know I can come across as stubborn and even insensitive but its really just that I am my own authority, wanna feel control of my life and hate to feel like I can't be me.
Fi + 8 is how I see it. There are often people who mistake my kindness for weakness (or try to control me) - I can't stand that but I don't just try to dominate them cuz thats weak, immature etc. to me. I just do my thing and believe in me and the older and more comfortable I get with me & my life the easier it gets. Nowadays there's barely a situation that makes me feel weak.

·
Grumpy old bastard
10,085 Posts
It energizes me but then again I don't get off of getting on other people.

I know I can come across as stubborn and even insensitive but its really just that I am my own authority, wanna feel control of my life and hate to feel like I can't be me.
Fi + 8 is how I see it. There are often people who mistake my kindness for weakness (or try to control me) - I can't stand that but I don't just try to dominate them cuz thats weak, immature etc. to me. I just do my thing and believe in me and the older and more comfortable I get with me & my life the easier it gets. Nowadays there's barely a situation that makes me feel weak.
this to me is not 8 at all. This to me screams 4.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@drizzy lake what's your life's greatest irony? What do you get "hung up" on.
What (do you think) makes you weak?
I don't want to sound pretentious, but especially since you mention irony... - my own strength? Like, I'm afraid that I can't let myself be vulnerable enough. I'm strong so I can't be weak, it'd be unfair and/or untrue in a way.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I don't want to sound pretentious, but especially since you mention irony... - my own strength? Like, I'm afraid that I can't let myself be vulnerable enough. I'm strong so I can't be weak, it'd be unfair and/or untrue in a way.
Can you expand in which way? Go in depth a bit?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can you expand in which way? Go in depth a bit?
Thanks for taking the time with me. :p

I feel this deep seated trust in myself. I know how much I can take. I know how assertive I can be if I feel like it. Especially with more life experience since I have more experience with people I can compare myself to.
I always trace it back to being my own authority for anything else. Thats where my confidence in life comes from. BUT. Life is more complicated than just being strong. And sometimes I feel like I can't allow myself the innocence needed because "I know better". I know what life is like. You need to be strong, don't you? So I can't be naive. I'd be like lying to myself. Thats maybe how Fi plays out in an 8, I dunno. But its so paradoxical because Fi is all about your true own feelings, so its by nature sensitive and vulnerable.

·
Banned
2,381 Posts
Thanks for taking the time with me. :p

I feel this deep seated trust in myself. I know how much I can take. I know how assertive I can be if I feel like it. Especially with more life experience since I have more experience with people I can compare myself to.
I always trace it back to being my own authority for anything else. Thats where my confidence in life comes from. BUT. Life is more complicated than just being strong. And sometimes I feel like I can't allow myself the innocence needed because "I know better". I know what life is like. You need to be strong, don't you? So I can't be naive. I'd be like lying to myself. Thats maybe how Fi plays out in an 8, I dunno. But its so paradoxical because Fi is all about your true own feelings, so its by nature sensitive and vulnerable.
If you are your own authority why are you reaching to strangers online to type you?

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
You @drizzy lake

I understand what you're saying as well as why people are asking why you care what we think/looking for affirmation

I'm curious about how you see your life's progress. Have you ever felt like you want to be living a certain life that seems constantly semi unobtainable?

The lovely thing about mbti/enneagram combos is how diverse they are and how each of us interprets that specific information. It's exactly why many of us, no matter how informed will have secret (or not so secret) opinions on what a persons "actual" type is and how they've gotten it wrong.

I think generally an 8w9 does like to sort all the facts before finally cementing their view and progressing to "you can think whatever you like about my type and you can also go fuck yourself because I'm fine."

Type 4 is always a possible type for you, especially considering you see it in your tritype.

The major danger (heh it rhymes) with type 4 is that if they *see* themselves a certain way (even if no one else in the world sees them that way) they may 'mistype' as the preferred vision.

Though the standard "anyone can do this regardless of type" default also always applies.

./sigh

Type 8 or 4 or 9 or whatever, those things don't matter so much as if you see being vulnerable as an issue, why is that happening for you? How does that manifest for you? How do you generally deal with it and how would you deal with it if you pushed yourself out of your comfort zone to become stronger.

We only grow through pain and discomfort. When it starts to get comfortable; dive deeper.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you are your own authority why are you reaching to strangers online to type you?
So I can hear yall takes and THEN authorize what I make of it, duh. :p

Nah for real. I read some more about 8s today. I settled on it now finally. All the themes of vengeance, truth, justice, strength, innocence, lust etc resonate on the deepest level possible. I really appreciate all the help up in this thread.
@Gilly:

I'm curious about how you see your life's progress. Have you ever felt like you want to be living a certain life that seems constantly semi unobtainable?
I can relate but how do you relate it to 8?

I think generally an 8w9 does like to sort all the facts before finally cementing their view and progressing to "you can think whatever you like about my type and you can also go fuck yourself because I'm fine."
Yea thats the state I progressed to now. :cool:

How do you generally deal with it and how would you deal with it if you pushed yourself out of your comfort zone to become stronger.
Can you phrase that again? Im not exactly sure what you mean :/

·
Banned
2,381 Posts
Ok, what you settle on is what you settle on and everyone has their biases and what not. Just want you to be careful, @drizzy lake that you're not subscribing to it because you can make emotional sense of it in your mind as opposed to the way you are in action and on a day-to-day basis.

There is also the description of sexual 4 which is very very similar to that of the 8 description I would encourage you to go through and critically look at before you decide. But it is up to you ultimately, of course.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I can relate but how do you relate it to 8?
I relate this to a 4 main and not an 8.
The way I figure, we have attributes from all parts of our tritype that manifest in our ways of thinking and how we see the world but it's the negatives that make us spiral that defines which is our core type out of the three.

Can you phrase that again? Im not exactly sure what you mean :/
Mostly I'm curious exactly how you see being vulnerable as your Achilles heal. How is that the thing you fight against the most. How does your fear of vulnerability cripple you and how do you try to save face?

This shouldn't be an easy thing to answer if it's your core issue.

@Temizzle: watch this if you got some time.
While the information in the core of it is decent - the way it's presented made me want to punch someone in the face.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts