Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know about you other ISFP's out there but I find dorm life to be extremely uncomfortable!! This is my first semester and my first dorm experience but I don't like it much. I find it hard to talk to my roommate. I hate small talk and that is only kind of talk you can do when meeting someone for the first time. So needless to say, there are a lot of awkward silences :laughing: I don't mind not talking but I feel like the roomie doesn't like me much because I'm so shy.:blushed: Actually I don't think she understands that is that I am shy. I could be making this out to be a bigger problem then it is but the awkwardness is killer and I hate being the one to break the silence.

Anyways, I'm interested to hear how other ISFP's feel about dorms and roommates. :happy:

·
Registered
751 Posts
Ahh, I really wanted to live in a dorm, but because of certain circumstances I had to go to a close college and live at home. I thought it sounded really exciting and scary at the same time, so I wanted to try it.

But anyway, I'm transferring to a school a few hours away from me next semester. They don't have on campus housing for transfers so I'm going to have to find an apartment with some other people I don't know. Although I'd probably rather live on campus just for the experience, I think it'll be nice that although I'm sharing a space with other people, I'll have my own room. Privacy is pretty big for me, so it's important..although I still feel like I'm somehow missing out. Hmm.

I hope your experience with your roommate gets better! Maybe just try opening up to her a bit? I know it's hard. D: If you have similar friends, maybe you could switch roommates to them next semester?

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I go to college close to home, but I had the option to live in a dorm. I couldn't stand the thought of it, though. There's nothing for me to do at college when I'm not at classes, and I find most people that go to my school so shallow and ignorant that I can't stand being around them. I wouldn't have the option of just going out to the garage and working or taking a long walk out in the woods like I do at home. there's just nothing appealing about it to me.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Living in the dorms is pretty cool. I have lived on campus for the past three semesters. It's pretty weird living with a bunch of strangers at first, but honestly, it's not that bad. At the worst, they'll just ignore you. I think it's a good experience to live in the dorms for at least one year in college. It's one of the easiest ways to make new friends. Also, you'll be really close to your classes and to the cafeteria, which is nice.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I don't mind living in the dorms that much except: my dorm is old, looks like a prison, and I die a little inside every time I have to use the bathroom but it's livable other than that. I'm not sure how to explain it very well but the dorm I live in isn't completely indoors, there's 4 floors with 6 doors on every floor and when you open one door it leads to a mini-corridor with 4 rooms and a bathroom.
I was supposed to room with my friend but he found out too late that he didn't have all his papers finished so I ended up rooming by myself and it's great. I'd be too hard living with someone else in those small rooms and I think that other ISFPs would have a hard time living with roommates because of their need to be alone and "recharge" every now and then. This might not be the case for all ISFPs but it is for me; I'd go insane without time to myself.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I loved dorm life and miss it, but I only experienced a true dorm for one year. I lucked out and got an awesome hall, I could see myself not liking it if I was surrounded by people I didn't get along with. It was easier to meet people (which I suck at) and there was always something going on. Even though I need alone time and am extremely introverted, I still need plenty of social time. It's easier for me to withdraw than involve myself, so dorm life helped me balance out my life.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea, I think I would like dorm life better if my dorm hall was more open. See, I live in a suite, which is a combination of like 4 dorms then a bathroom. So my halls consist of mini apartments and everyone kinda keeps to themselves. I think if I had that normal dorm set up, Id like it so much better. My friend is an RA of a "normal" dorm (I always hate using the word normal since normal can change from person to person) and I like the feel I get . It just seems more open and if you are shy on one of those floors then there are enough outgoing people to make you feel accepted.

And as for my roommate, she just told me that she is moving out so I'll get a single(at least for the time being :dry:)!!!! And I really could have opened up a lot more but something inside me always holds back what Id like to say. And you're right...its hard but I should really push myself more...tomorrow! (procrastination)

And thank you everyone for the reply's! :happy:

·
Registered
383 Posts
I lived in a suite style dorm as the poster before me too.. somehow they thought it a good idea to put 4 culturally different people in the same suite. We were cool but I didn't see them again after my term was up.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I am off to college next year and I do not plan on living in a dorm. I finally get to move out and be on my own! Oh wait, now I gotta share a room with someone else. It's like I'm going backwards, I was an only child, then got step siblings, lived in the same room with my brother, now I finally got my own room but still living in a house with them, now I go back to sharing a room? Hell to the no, I'll be living on my own in a p.o.s. apartment thank you :crazy:

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
ISFP in a dorm? It's a combo that warrants disaster. But that was me. Um, you get used to it and then you...settle. I think they try to fit you with a roommate who's like you. If not, oy... good luck.

My first roommate was enough like me, but the video games at night and the.........AGH Second roommate was an istp I think. wow...just...wow. lol We thought very similarly about life and $#!t so it wasn't regretful. 'Cept for, again, the late night games and tv... but cool guy.

Dorm life isn't the worst...when you like people and all the hustle bustle. Me? I wouldn't do it again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts