Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My kind is apparently compatible with your kind. After realizing one of my loyal male friends (who would like to be more) is an ENFJ, this makes a lot of sense. Does anyone have experience with this pairing? I'd like to explore this idea more.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
hmmm...no personal experiences, but I like this personality type through descriptions, from certain celebrity examples, and from what I read on your forums!

I like that ISFPs are kind, hard-working, funny, easy-going. I like how they care about others and can be deep too.

I wouldn't mind having an SO who was an ISFP because I think they would really sweet and able to cheer up this worn ENFJ heart whenever she is down.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Not experiences but definitely open to the idea of it.

Again, ask me this a year back and I might have said no. My experience with one ISFP girl I had a small fancy for was a bit messed up to say the least. She had a very uncomfortable brand of Fi. She had ridiculously poor self-esteem, was easily affected by too many things, craved for companionship yet rejected one of the best men I've known and just...

She was quite an unhealthy example and I don't think I could use her as an accurate representation of you guys.

With that said, I want to be "impressed" again :3

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, this ISFP was unhealthy. All of the personality types have their unhealthy tendencies though if not mature or evolved enough. I hope you get to meet an ISFP that changes your mind :)

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Yes, this ISFP was unhealthy. All of the personality types have their unhealthy tendencies though if not mature or evolved enough. I hope you get to meet an ISFP that changes your mind :)
Well, I do hope so... they say that sensor types tend to be more "physically proactive" in certain "physical" activities...

·
Registered
323 Posts
So I know of three ISFP's in my life and they are all great. The two girl ISFP's are people who've I have had crushes on from time to time. And my ISFP friend whose a dude,well, let's just say we have known each other most of this school year and he is one of my truest friends in Cali. I love the kid. Every time we hang it's a blast and I love it. ISFP's have all been fantastic in my opinion and I want to meat a female one who is interested in me

·
Registered
874 Posts
My kind is apparently compatible with your kind. After realizing one of my loyal male friends (who would like to be more) is an ENFJ, this makes a lot of sense. Does anyone have experience with this pairing? I'd like to explore this idea more.
I don't think anyone has said this is a natural pairing.

If anything, the S/N divide is most frequently posited as the most divisive feature of type relations.

·
Registered
193 Posts
My (former) best friend is an ENFJ...
We've been friends, best friends, for years, but lately it's all been going downhill. We rarely if ever see each other anymore, and I admit that I've been trying to distance myself from her.
She can be manipulative and selfish - everytime I try to have a conversation w/ her about what's going on in my life (and believe me, it's hard for me to share personal stuff even w/ her!), she takes that topic of conversation and turns it so that it focuses on her and her experiences. And then, she'll change the subject to what she wants to talks about.
We used to be really close, and still have great memories together...

Overall, though, I think as long as both the ENFJ and ISFP are healthy types, there can be a great relationship between them.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
I don't think anyone has said this is a natural pairing.

If anything, the S/N divide is most frequently posited as the most divisive feature of type relations.
It isn't so much about S/N. If you pay attention to the cognitive functions:

ENFJ: Fe Ni Se Ti
ISFP: FI Se Ni Te

They have the potential to strengthen each others' weaker functions, and are able to connect on similar wavelengths. I admit, I have an easier time with ISFPs than INFPs, simply because they seem to "get" me more, and vice versa.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have three cousins: ESFP, ENFP and ISFP.

Ever since I was little, I was closest with the ISFP. He's the youngest and there was a time he idolized me and was "gay" but he was beaten with a belt for that. His father used to hit them with belts as a child, but it stopped after my aunt talked to her husband about it.

He got the most beating. He was bullied by his brothers. I was the only one who accepted him for his worth and only until recently that he's getting closer with his brothers. I even put it as my responsibility, as the eldest (and take note, I was still a kid since I moved out when I was 11) to be a better model for him. I dressed up in boyish clothes (I apparently used to be girly). I mean, of course I didn't know what exactly I was doing as a kid, I just decided to be more male so my cousin wouldn't get hurt. LOL.

We just kind of get each other. We like common things and he did tell me every time I'm with them I just seem to want something to buy. LOL. But sometimes he goes like; "Let's get you that thing you want!" Which confuses me to no end, but I appreciate him thinking about me. He also goes with me to do my nails, but it's mainly because he has nothing else to do at his house other than get mean remarks from his brothers.

Knowing his brothers, that's really how they show appreciation for people (I've hung out with their friends and they even do it to me) and when I told ISFP that's how they showed it, he kind of tried giving them a chance. Now they get to play games with each other, joke around, share nasty conversations but laugh about it in the end. But I do admit there are times I get so pissed at his brothers for being insensitive (ESFP) and for being so supportive of the insensitivity (ENFP). But yeah, they still care for their brother, though. It's just not the love and care people would expect.

ISFP and I kind of just simply have this understanding. It's easy to be around him and I like his company. We're also going to watch Lady Gaga tomorrow. Pretty excited!

---
I have met an ISFP recently through my ENFJ friend. I haven't really talked much with her, but she is an instant friend from the beginning. I actually thought she was INTJ cause of the way she acted, but when I read the profile, it did fit more accurately for her. Though I get different vibes from the two, they're both very easy to talk to and very easy to be with.

·
Registered
874 Posts
It isn't so much about S/N. If you pay attention to the cognitive functions:

ENFJ: Fe Ni Se Ti
ISFP: FI Se Ni Te

They have the potential to strengthen each others' weaker functions, and are able to connect on similar wavelengths. I admit, I have an easier time with ISFPs than INFPs, simply because they seem to "get" me more, and vice versa.
I don't necessarily think your subjective experience is a strong enough premise on which to challenge the S/N dichotomy.

The difference in operation of the Aux and Tert functions is massive, in terms of scope and understanding. While these sorts of type relations might "help" the functions, I don't think they are a complement to each other. In the example given above, it is more a case of lazily reclining while the other type carries the mantle for a little while.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
I don't necessarily think your subjective experience is a strong enough premise on which to challenge the S/N dichotomy.
How was I challenging the "dichotomy" exactly? Besides, in the world of personality theory, how "objective" can you really be. There is no cut and dry in the world of people and experiences. There are sensing types that I get along with better than intuitive and vice versa. Obviously two people being intuitive types does not suggest that they would automatically get along or understand each other.....

And as far as nobody saying that it's a natural pairing, that isn't completely true. I'm not sure where the OP got her information, however, personalitypage.com, probably one of the more popular sites suggests that INFP or ISFP is ideal for an ENFJ.

Reactions: Ryosuke93

·
Registered
874 Posts
How was I challenging the "dichotomy" exactly?
By saying "it isn't so much about S/N".

And as far as nobody saying that it's a natural pairing, that isn't completely true. I'm not sure where the OP got her information, however, personalitypage.com, probably one of the more popular sites suggests that INFP or ISFP is ideal for an ENFJ.
I'm not really sure what legitimacy that page has, or any internet page on MBTI for that matter.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My experience with ISFP's has been mixed. I find I get frustrated with the illogic in their behaviour and the fact that if they are very private, they may harbor negative and unrealistic views about things and people. Maybe I have only known unhealthy types, but my opinion so far is that when they are good, they are great. When they are not, they really piss me off :p

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
'Ideal' pairings are bullshit - pretty much every personality resource is flawed in the sense that they're written with a positive spin on just about anything (because who would want to read further into something which is essentially a list of your flaws).

Besides, there is a HUGE variability between the people within a single type - it is perfectly possible to find an ISFP who you love and an ISFP who you want to tear to pieces with a butter knife - and that can be down to the variability in both them and you. Case in point, when I first found this site I remember finding a thread which basically stated "the sworn enemy of the ISTP is the ESFJ", hence I kind of assumed that ESFJs wouldn't be the kinds of people I'd want to associate with...

...until I actually met an ESFJ, then I realised that he was pretty much one of the most genuine and down to earth people I really knew, going against the status quo this website had set for me. I mean, don't get me wrong here, I sincerely doubt that we'll ever be really close friends, I just don't think you should let an outdated system define your relationships.

Sorry if this post is a bit bleurgh, my Ti has been in overdrive these past few days.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts