Personality Cafe banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I LOVE MY ENTP'S!! I know quite a few of them and they're silly, they play along with my type of humor very well, I can often have a good banter with them, and I enjoy listening to their well thought out theories (most often I won't be able to contribute...unless it gets too out there, then I have to point it out) or their dark and almost crude humor, and I love their charming personalities <3 It also helps that these folks I interact with have highly developed Fe's.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I knew at least two ENTPs from high school, they were really outgoing and got along with everyone, even me though I tried to keep to myself.
In class they always liked to discuss with the teachers and they always joined debates in language, philosophy and religion classes.
Outside lessons they always had some interesting conversation going and they would just randomly ask people on their opinions, getting everyone around them involved. I also liked their sense of humor and relaxed attitude, they didn't mind making fun of themselves to make others laugh.
They were both tutors too and joined the school's debate team for some philosophy event, I don't know how it went though.
E: I guess I got a bit sidetracked there, but I got along with them very well and they seemed very interested in talking to me even though I was very quiet.

·
Banned
6,606 Posts
ENTPs... Yeah, I get along okayish. They can sometimes be super cool.

But it really wears on me, maybe just because it's an emotional/lifelong relationship.

To be honest, I have a thousand grudges against the one I know... But I'm so scared to death of her I only dream of informing her of all her idiosyncrasies that I notice every single painful second I'm around her.

But yeah, I'll be her doormat. It won't kill me. Just biding my time, it hurts to think how easy it would be to forget her forever, it feels like it would be awesome to forget her. But just the more realistic thought of forgetting someone so close to me forever is enough to make me never do it. And yet that's what I hate about it too.

God I hate feeling obligated to people. But if she knew that's how I really felt... Man, she'd be in such pain I know, and in her unselfishness and yet selfishness, deny desiring any relationship with me, because the thought of her own child despising her would be to painful for her. She's already so deep in denial about it, with each of us. She has no idea how annoying everyone finds her, and not just in baseless ways. The pity I feel for her lack of awareness is what keeps me attached, and that just allows her to be less aware than ever.

It's a vicious cycle.

But we've had great times, and darn it I love my mom after all. I don't know how or why, but she's in my heart.

I can be cruel, but I cannot hate, or I can hate, but I cannot be cruel. Unless I was convinced some tough love would do her some good, like a wake up call, but all the ENTPs assured me it would just about kill her.

Catch22

If I'm stuck either way, I may as well be loving and do whatever it takes to get along, and just hope she doesn't restrict my movements.

That's all very melodramatic, but it's unfortunately how I feel deep down. Luckily I don't trust my feelings always though. I question them. For instance, I meant to say I can't stand ENTOs, but since I questioned that feeling, I found there's a particularly tender place for them in the wearoest parts of my soul, that only they can fit, because goshdarnnit, it's an awkward poky shape, but a shape that needs filling nonetheless.

LOL, wow, haha

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's funny. I actually just got done posting on a forum about which type ISFPs find attractive. Guess I'll just copy and paste... I am (usually) attracted to ENTPs. I feel like we usually have very similar senses of humor. I'm a very curious person, although I'm not sure if this is an ISFP trait or just me, so I love that they always have an answer to any question I ask. Also, I like that I'm comfortable calling them on their BS, which I wouldn't be with most other people (I'd just internally roll my eyes and dismiss them as a BSer). I like that when I do call them on their BS, they seem to like it. I like that I don't feel the need to censor myself around them. I can do whatever the hell I feel like doing (whether being goofy, stupid, or mean). Maybe this is because ISFPs are just as crazy as ENTPs, but we just hide it better? The brother of the last ENTP I dated used to call us Tweedle-Dee and Tweedle-Dum, and I loved that about us. Some things I don't like about ENTPs: the very flexible moral code, their penchant for trying to talk to you while you're reading, just because they know it annoys the s*** out of you, the fact that being annoying brings so much joy to them. I swear, it's like their default activity for whenever they're bored. (Although, I love to play the game called "if I had a dick would you still love me" with them, and the main attraction in it for me is how much they hate it, so I guess I really have no right to point fingers about annoyingness. haha)

·
Banned
314 Posts

But it really wears on me, maybe just because it's an emotional/lifelong relationship.

To be honest, I have a thousand grudges against the one I know... But I'm so scared to death of her I only dream of informing her of all her idiosyncrasies that I notice every single painful second I'm around her.

But yeah, I'll be her doormat. It won't kill me. Just biding my time, it hurts to think how easy it would be to forget her forever, it feels like it would be awesome to forget her. But just the more realistic thought of forgetting someone so close to me forever is enough to make me never do it. And yet that's what I hate about it too.

God I hate feeling obligated to people. But if she knew that's how I really felt... Man, she'd be in such pain I know, and in her unselfishness and yet selfishness, deny desiring any relationship with me, because the thought of her own child despising her would be to painful for her. She's already so deep in denial about it, with each of us. She has no idea how annoying everyone finds her, and not just in baseless ways. The pity I feel for her lack of awareness is what keeps me attached, and that just allows her to be less aware than ever.

It's a vicious cycle.

But we've had great times, and darn it I love my mom after all. I don't know how or why, but she's in my heart.

I can be cruel, but I cannot hate, or I can hate, but I cannot be cruel. Unless I was convinced some tough love would do her some good, like a wake up call, but all the ENTPs assured me it would just about kill her.

Catch22

If I'm stuck either way, I may as well be loving and do whatever it takes to get along, and just hope she doesn't restrict my movements.

That's all very melodramatic, but it's unfortunately how I feel deep down. Luckily I don't trust my feelings always though. I question them. For instance, I meant to say I can't stand ENTOs, but since I questioned that feeling, I found there's a particularly tender place for them in the wearoest parts of my soul, that only they can fit, because goshdarnnit, it's an awkward poky shape, but a shape that needs filling nonetheless.

LOL, wow, haha
Hmmm, so this is what it would be like if my daughter was an ISFP lol. Wow, geez. Your mom is probably somewhat aware of what others think about her, she just choses not to care (or show it) or it would hurt to think about all the time, fyi. You may have observed her all your life, but she has been an adult all that time while you have been maturing, so you don't really know what is in her head...just my 2 cents. I'm pretty sure my little girl is an ESFP and I already struggle with her extreme emotionalism and drama. Everything is drama with her. It has forced me to slow down and explain things to her differently, and much more gently, than I am used to, which is good for us both. My son 13, and some kind of NT, so that is much easier (except for the whole puberty things....as a single mom I'm struggling with that too since he's a boy) to explain things to him and have him get on board with whatever I'm trying to accomplish. With my daughter, it is a lot more effort. I don't mind the effort, and enjoy growing to suit the needs of my child - my only concern is when I don't have a way to reach her. As long as I have something to try, its all good, but when I don't know what to do, I feel helpless about it.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
My husband is an ENTP :happy:. Our personalities are very different, in some ways its helpful...
It's weird, but it seems that, for some reason, ISFPs and ENTPs get along better than ISFPs and INTPs. Not, mind you, that my wife and I don't get along, but the potential for misunderstandings and hurt feelings on both sides is very strong... I suppose it doesn't help that I'm the ISFP, and my wife the INTP...

weird...

I don't think I know any ENTPs, so I can't speak for them...

·
Registered
692 Posts

It's a vicious cycle.

LOL, wow, haha
Are you sure your friend is not an ENFP? Two of my friends (both girls) are ISFP ENFP and the relationship sounds so much like what you described. My one friend had a tendency to walk over the ISFP and use her for her purposes. She was rarely thankful, and totally did the whole selfish-unselfishness thing.

·
Banned
6,606 Posts
Are you sure your friend is not an ENFP? Two of my friends (both girls) are ISFP ENFP and the relationship sounds so much like what you described. My one friend had a tendency to walk over the ISFP and use her for her purposes. She was rarely thankful, and totally did the whole selfish-unselfishness thing.

Well this is my mother, and I'm pretty sure her sister is an ENFP, and I get along extremely well with her, too. And, my mother treats everyone about like I have described so I don't think it has to do with her type so much as her health. She is very domineering. So is my aunt in a way, but I think that's more of an Extroverted trait than anything.

But lately I'm not so sure of my typings. Sometimes my mom seems like an ISxJ. Other times like an IxTJ. I really don't know for sure. Unhappy people are hard to type. Pleasant people are easier.

But obviously as sisters they share many similarities anyway so it's hard to distinguish there differences.

But yeah, I've seen my aunt use people and I know she struggles with her intense and deep-founded selfishness, but I get along with her and never feel used. Maybe because I don't threaten or she likes to champion me or something.

But ENTPs are more... Obtuse. Plus I really think my Mom has Fe, she's fairly good with people when she wants to be. My aunt is inarguably Fi like me, but still an obvious Extrovert too. My mom seems like Te sometimes simply because of her... Intensity, but I think that Ne energy with Ti resoluteness/practical self-reliance.

My mom tends to share the same opinion of her sister as you do of ENFPs, but I disagree with it and think it lacks perspective on my mother's case. She is blinded by her own insecurities regarding her and her sister's relationship, and projects that negativity onto the way my aunt treats everyone.

I also think my mom is Fe because no matter how much she hates someone she's supposed to get along with, if she thinks about it consciously (logically, Ti-Fe, "It makes sense for me to be pleasant to accomplish my purpose and establish good relations and ethics" all the while completely being in denial about my true feelings), then she will he super pleasant to their face, the more she hates then the more she's sweet. But if her poor tert Fe wins out over the logicical Ti, then her emotions control her, her sense of ethics gets angry and she will take it out on anyone, even for really small stuff.

Just her lack of personal emotional awareness makes me really doubt she's Fi. Also, she's socially jovial, very group-minded at times but then completely independent-minded other times. She's very thinkery about everything, she just has emotional problems too: however, she also has that comforting Fe thing about her, the platonic thing is very much her style (then again she is my mother after all). My aunt is very emotivist, feels independently, think objectively sometimes to a fault (tert Te!), is understanding, but then she gets stuff done, she can be super can-do, especially planning.

Both of their low sensing is incredibly apparent, has a lot of negative effects, that's why I say she can seem like a ISFJ: but an unhealthy one. They both appreciate what I can do for them, I am very perceptive and in the moment, so I'm like the ideal helper as their more mundane lives fall apart. But under stress they became dangerously picky about stuff (Inferior Si).

When I think of my mother at her best, she is problem solving and intelligent and "organized" (theoretically organized, but not in reality) and imaginative and extroverted, with some people skills. (NeTiFe)

At her worst, micromanaging, relentless, worry wart, black and white, catastrophizing, melodramatic, manipulative, over imaginative.

My aunt at her best is empathetic, helpful, creative and funny, she makes everything you do fun, she thinks out loud about what we're gonna do.

At her worst, a complete emotional nervous breakdown, sensitive as a thin glass, micromanager briefly but then a quitter, can't function, does crazy stuff, blurts stuff out (Ne-Te!)

They are similar but they get along so terribly and think so oppositely of each other I conclude although Ne doms and they share that crazy vibe, they are different types entirely.

It's hard to describe them in accurate ways, I always find the judging functions harder to describe in a distinguishing sense than percieving functions.

My aunt is just plain selfish but is aware of it and tries not to be, though she is so impulsive it escapes her and people just pretend not to notice it because she can't seem to help it but seems sorry about it.

My mother is also very selfish but is unaware of it and thinks she isn't and doesn't understand how anyone can think she's being otherwise and even makes you think she isn't being so because she convinces you with her Purpose and knows how to get at you and make you believe her (ExTP trait, I've understood = miscreant disobedient tert Fe)

It is difficult to describe my thoughts on their differences, but it is there.

I know my aunt has changed a lot from how she used to be, for the better, though she's still crazy; my mom on the other hand seems to have lowered her standards amd become worse than she used to be. Sometimes I wonder if they could be different health levels of the same type maybe.

Basically, the words Visionary vs. Champion define them perfectly in my mind. My mom talks about her visions and ideas incessantly, some of which are very good and perfectly logical and for the good of mankind, whereas my aunt is a little more into personalized emotional systems and relational peace and being creative with how humans are in immediate-action ways. The T vs. F preference is what it really boils down to in my mind.

They are strong women both. Imaginagion/creativity is their shared and very dominant trait and how they relate to each other besides their extreme physical particularities and also weakness for nostalgia and personal physical routine which seem very inferior Si.

I function from day to day much more similarly to my aunt than my mother, shared Fi/Te preference, I sense it strongly when I'm with her .

When my mother and I talk, we have completely new, foreign and sometimes disagreeable perspective for each other, that challenges each other a lot, when my aunt and I talk, we strengthen each other in our perspective by adding to the other persons blind spots with our percieving functions, and by empathizing and looking at things objectively.

I go in fascinating circles with my mother (Novelty relation), I make delighting progress with my aunt (?counterpart? relation).

My aunt has that sensitive Fi inferiority thing that makes her understanding all the time at best, my mother tends to be less emotional at best and very resolute and self-confident in that Ti way.

I guess that's all. It's true they can look similar though.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Gosh I can't think straight :p
I'm not really sure what's going on. I still get a feeling someone is mistyped here, but I really have no idea, I would need more detailed specifics.

It's quite possible anyways that your mom is just particularly unhealthy, and showing some shadow characteristics (though I've never been a huge believer in the whole shadow-theory thing).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.