Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never heard of this combination mentioned before and I'm just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on it. I mean, do you think it'd be good to be paired up with the introverted/extraverted version of yourself?

·
Registered
450 Posts
I think this would be a lot of fun! I think for an ISFP/ESFP relationship to work there would need to be other differences than the E/I contrast. Both could still be SFPs but I can't see two people who are xSFP to the extreme working out in the long term. Thinking of the ESFP I know, I would have to become much more organized and make an extra effort to be on time and stuff otherwise I'm pretty sure we'd be late to everything.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
I don't see why not honestly, there isn't much of a difference as far as functions so you don't have to worry about clashes in that way.

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
I was hanging out with an ESFP for the longest time this summer. It ended badly. But she was a 7w8 or 8w7 of sort so it ended up in a BANG since I'm 6w5 or 8w9/9w8/9w1 or whatever. Sexual fixation only.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Well, now that I am thinking about it, a guy who I had fallen head-over-heels for was in fact an ISFP. He did fit the stereotype of being very artistic, and was rather passionate about painting/drawing (and gosh, he was such a good artist, and I'm not saying that just to say it!). And while he did generally like people, he admitted to being rather introverted, and enjoyed time to himself to think and express. He was wonderful to have conversations with, as we spoke about anything and everything, and he was such a sweetheart! Very caring about my emotions, always asking about how I felt about certain things. Sensitive. And was really responsible, took care of himself well, very practical.

It kind of was a short-lived relationship though. Lots of attraction and chemistry, but it didn't seem like we were really able to hold each other's attention. I feel like I was more infatuated with him than he was with me, even though he expressed it more. Just one day out of the blue, he told me that he was going to miss me, and I have never heard from him since.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I foresee some possible loneliness in the I/E gap (the ESFP would feel eager to share the beauty of their world directly with those around them - and the ISFP may be unable to convey equal excitement as perceived by the ESFP). But truly, other than that there are more factors than mere typology that determine compatibility in relationships.

The integrity of a relationship is established upon the problem solving capabilities of the people involved, so whether or not you can solve problems effectively together plays an important part. Also, where people are at in their lives is critical - whether they just need a loyal friend to take adventures with them, or if they really would see you as an essential component in helping them get the most out of their lives, or if they simply see you as an experiment to find out what they truly desire. All these factors need to be factored in.

Reactions: infpetal

·
Registered
2 Posts
One of my best friends is a (presumed) ESFP and we have a truly awesome relationship. Depending on the level of social and self awareness of the two (which should be pretty high, given the S/F traits), the opposite I/E aspects can go hand-in-hand beautifully. We feed off of each other. He brings out the extraversion in me when appropriate and in the same way he's able to sit back, relax and appreciate the introverted part of myself.

·
Registered
385 Posts
It might work, but not in the long run. I'm extraverted to the point that I can annoy my ENTJ mother with the constant conversation. I really don't see the E/I combo working out (at least for myself).

The double P might not work out, either. As much as J's can annoy me, having one in the relationship is important so that things can stay organized and scheduled. I can already see raising kids without a J mate being a problem, since kids need more structure than I can usually tolerate.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm not sure how it will work in a dating relationship. But I'm an ISFP and my mum is an ESFP. We're on the same frequency most of the time, we think alike and we feel the same way about a lot of things.

When we are together, we are almost like two big kids. I would pinch her cheeks and she won't get angry.

However, she is capable of talking for hours non-stop and I would get tired listening to her after awhile. But she is happy when she has an audience.

Also, when two Ps get together, the one with more J in them will be forced to pick up the slack. This is to make sure that things get done. In this case, I am always the one picking up the slack for my mum.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I personally think that sounds great. I love my introvert friends and they love me. I love trying to crack into introverts' worlds and taking in their internal world.

I think the biggest clashes I have with people are people that are IxxJ but only when the I and J are together, but mostly because Js just don't mix well with me and the I just makes it tougher to manage.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Many of my friends have been ESFPs I get along great with them, I think that's mainly because around friends I'm really comfortable with I come off as an extrovert. The main problem for me seems to be is that most of them have lots of friends, while I only had a few.. kind of leaving me to the side sometimes.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I don't know about romantic relationships, but my mom is an ISFP and we get along amanzingly. The only problems we have is that she has trouble telling me what she wants like, I can tell she wants to say something, but I have to prob her (sometimes agressively) to get it out of her. And she seems to enjoy "just being togetehr" doing nothing, but it makes me restless I'm like "Mom I wanna spend time with you, but actually DOING something".

She enjoys silence too, while it drives me nuts! :tongue:

·
Registered
1,529 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
I've never heard of this combination mentioned before and I'm just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on it. I mean, do you think it'd be good to be paired up with the introverted/extraverted version of yourself?
hello there! :)

I'm an esfp who had a loong realtinoship with an isfp man. Well, it lasted for like three years and he' still one of my best friends.

The relationship was very, how can I put it... but like we were so so close, emotionally. We allways new what the other one was thinking. We understood each other extremely well. We really felt like we were "connected" to each other, even on another level. Like one day we were apart, than I would buy the same ice cream as he did, even though none of us knew what the other one was doing. We called each other at the same time, and sometimes I texted him the answer of something he was just wrting me but hadnt yet sent.

Some problems in our relationship was that when we had a fight, I immediatly moved forward, while he was still sad or touched by the fight we had. So the, when I felt all happy and wanted "make up sex" and all, he was still affected, so then I became sad and so it contrinued. I could say some pretty stupid and sometimes mean things, and he had troubles getting passed it, allthough I knew it was just something irrelevant or stupid I've said under affection.

He broke up with me, and I never been so sad in my entire life. He wanted to go to India. He felt he wasnt ready to commit (qith me as a single mum), and that he couldn't give to me what I was wishing and hoping for: a family and stability. He was and will allways be a free spirit. Sometimes I think of him as selfish and unreliable, but I know he cannot be untrue to himself. And that it has been a struggle for him to get to the point where he can put his needs in front of others. And that he doesnt wanna give up that liberty that he has gained. I think his new struggle is to realise that he actually is dependable on other people, and that love must be a balance between both surrender and remaining one self.

We're still friends, and right now he found a new girl. She might be esfp or enfp. i wish him all the best.

·
Registered
637 Posts
oh. To answer your question: I think it might be marvellous, but as in any relationship there will be obstacles. If you find goals and dreams incommon, you'll have a better chance to succeed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts