Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hellooo :) I'm Brianna, ISFP and my boyfriend is ENTP.

There are so many things I love about him and I’m very committed to making our relationship work. However, we get into arguments, sometimes fights, that I think stem from a fundamental difference in how we each communicate.

As an ISFP, I am very sensitive. This is generally not a problem because I’m used to interacting the world with such vividness. However, because we are intimately bonded, conflict between us effects me more on a very deep level.

As an ENTP, he finds joy in debating, questioning for fun, and teasing. Obviously that is not all but these qualities pertain to this post; I think me being sensitive and him being skeptical makes things difficult.

I typed out a bunch of examples and questions but it’s too messy and doesn't really explain much other than reiterating the fact that we process information and respond to the world in very different ways.

Basically, I just want to know: have any of you dealt with my type in a relationship, friendship, or a family situation? Any insight or advice would be great. What especially would help is an encouraging response explaining the positive dynamics between our types from an outside perspective lol if someone is feeling that positive..

Thanks to all who read this!
Looking forward to hearing back from people :)

<3 Brianna

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Fi-Se-Ni-Te is the set of functions we know absolutely nothing about.

Fe/Fi conflicts are rumored to be the stuff of legend, and after dealing with some Fi types, it's not a joke. I would recommend drawing some lines, if you both are willing to accept them and grow together, then I am sure it'll be profitable for the two of you.

One, there has to be somethings that are off-limits for him to "go after." Whatever that is harmony-wise that he seeks to disrupt, there are probably some things that cross your line and end up causing significant conflict. Those need to be off-limits.

Likewise, you have to accept that he is going to explore, poke, prod and otherwise try to expand your mind when it comes to the possibilities of what is going on. Just like he has to accept what is off-limits, you have to accept what is "on-limit."

Then there's going to be intimacy compatibility. ENTPs big two intimacy types are (probably) Cognitive and Physical intimacy. We like having our minds stimulated, and our bodies pleasured. We enjoy being close, cuddling, holding hands, touching, kissing, making love, outright fucking, all of it. Our minds are about as close to sexual organs as it gets as well, and if you can spend some time in that arena, it will go miles with him. (Probably).

You are probably really big on Emotional intimacy, and he is going to need some practice there probably. If not, lucky you! But you can help him if he wants to learn. :) If there are other forms of intimacy that you need, talk about it. :)

Those are the things I would focus on.

You each embody a set of cognitive functions the other does not use, so understanding them may be really difficult.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I'm currently dating an ISFJ - My polar MBTI opposite. Are are very different, but compatible because we understand and accept those differences. What I love about her is her competence, directness, sense of humor and ability to tolerate my quirkiness.

How old are the two of you, how many serious previous relationships? Until I was about 30 I cant see any SF tolerating what a self righteous, know-it-all, "does he even have feelings", asshat I could be.

Do you have an example scenorio's to discuss? Have you Google'd "entp isfp relationship"

http://personalitycafe.com/entp-forum-visionaries/19991-entp-isfp-relationship-lets-get-started.html
ISFP-ENTP Relationship

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I'm currently dating an ISFJ - My polar MBTI opposite. Are are very different, but compatible because we understand and accept those differences. What I love about her is her competence, directness, sense of humor and ability to tolerate my quirkiness.

How old are the two of you, how many serious previous relationships? Until I was about 30 I cant see any SF tolerating what a self righteous, know-it-all, "does he even have feelings", asshat I could be.

Do you have an example scenorio's to discuss? Have you Google'd "entp isfp relationship"

http://personalitycafe.com/entp-forum-visionaries/19991-entp-isfp-relationship-lets-get-started.html
ISFP-ENTP Relationship
Yeah, but at least you both share the exact same cognitive functions in your stack. You "get" them. :)

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Yeah, but at least you both share the exact same cognitive functions in your stack. You "get" them. :)
There's been a few time's, usually laying in bed cuddling, we were talking about how we feel about something, where for a few minutes I'll vocalize both sides of the conversation. Each time she's laughed at the end saying I took the words right out of her mouth. She's NOT the patronizing type at all; I be careful not to over do it.

·
Registered
ENTP 3w4 so/sp
2,912 Posts
Hellooo :) I'm Brianna, ISFP and my boyfriend is ENTP.

There are so many things I love about him and I’m very committed to making our relationship work. However, we get into arguments, sometimes fights, that I think stem from a fundamental difference in how we each communicate.

As an ISFP, I am very sensitive. This is generally not a problem because I’m used to interacting the world with such vividness. However, because we are intimately bonded, conflict between us effects me more on a very deep level.

As an ENTP, he finds joy in debating, questioning for fun, and teasing. Obviously that is not all but these qualities pertain to this post; I think me being sensitive and him being skeptical makes things difficult.

I typed out a bunch of examples and questions but it’s too messy and doesn't really explain much other than reiterating the fact that we process information and respond to the world in very different ways.

Basically, I just want to know: have any of you dealt with my type in a relationship, friendship, or a family situation? Any insight or advice would be great. What especially would help is an encouraging response explaining the positive dynamics between our types from an outside perspective lol if someone is feeling that positive..

Thanks to all who read this!
Looking forward to hearing back from people :)

<3 Brianna
Asking questions and debating is a significant part of our way of understanding the world. Most of the time, we don't mean to be assholes.. Most of the time ;)
I second what Desthro says and you should let him know limits.

1,162 Posts
I second what Desthro says and you should let him know limits.
Yep. Just phrase these as boundaries that are emotionally important to you. I can accept that people function differently and it's absolutely not a problem to stick to a "this far and no further" mindset with some topics or behaviours, at least as long as we're talking about controlling my interactions with them by being a little more moderate-- think not trying to pick every stray thought apart in my quest for knowledge (or just for the sheer fun of it) or engaging in what I think of as playful banter and more sensitive people probably think of as asshattery.

Your BF has Fe in his stack. If it's at all developed, he'll try to accommodate you if you express this on terms of "this is emotionally important to me and when you do X I feel Z, I would prefer Y instead." Don't get stuck on arguing whether something makes sense because it'll not work, talk about how you'd like him to respect your feelings instead.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Just a thought: I've never been with an ISFP, but it might be good for you to get his ass out of the house. Sometimes ENTPs are like oversized cats. We need to get out and run off some energy.

Go whitewater rafting or climb a mountain or go snowboarding or something. I think you'll see some improvement in chillness. Shit, take a walk and just let him burn off his rantiness. Best of luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts