Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anybody has had any interactions or friendship with an ISFP and could give any insight. Usually I'm able to read people pretty well and go with the flow. However with this guy who I've known (existence wise) for over a decade, I'm still pretty sure I don't know him. Never known another ISFP. The thing is we are both EXTREMELY reserved and although we hang out quite a bit it usually isn't that much more than video games and alcohol ha ha. Maybe throw in some random facts, news/radio, and books. I suppose things are cool the way they are but being an INFJ I'd prefer a closer friendship and this ISFP seems to have potential to be added to the close friend group. I've attempted to have some real conversations but most of the time it just trails off. Thing start getting cryptic. In bigger social gatherings we generally go our separate ways and hit up the extroverts. So it's pretty lame eh?

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
I know one ISFP guy, and for a while I just thought he was weird and emotionally unbalanced. His dominant Fi makes him take some things very personally, very subjectively. Like one time I was just describing a situation, like how things really work and why he isn't getting a result he desired, and was much surprised to discover that he took my entire story to mean that I personally don't want to help him. He occasionally has these outbursts of subjective interpretations that frustrate other people. I think ISFPs can be prone to getting emotionally hurt this way, as people just don't understand them and react negatively, and thus may be behaving rather reserved. This guy wasn't reserved, he was rather open, but he did have some insights into how he tends to behave so was more comfortable with himself I guess.

On the other hand, when other people have problems in their lives he is always there to listen and sympathize and sometimes offers to help them. He held me at distance for a while because I think I was coming off as too cold, selfish, and bossy. But after I stood up for him to an ESTJ and also helped his ESTP friend out of trouble he started taking to me more. I feel protective towards him, but boy does it take a lot of Ni-Fe to wait out his irrational reactions sometimes. The ESTJ was getting really annoyed by the INFP and ISFP in the group, but for some reason he tip toes around me, so I had to defend them a few times. The INFP started growing thicker skin and defending himself, but the ISFP really just remains helpless agains the ESTJ, reason why I feel protective of him.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
I think the ISFP's need to develop their Ti to achieve emotional balance. It's difficult because it's the furthest down on their list of functions, but it's necessary. Otherwise, they're just a heap of emotion and sensory input without the intellectual depth necessary to process it all for positive decision making. Fi is always a bad thing for decision making, from what I've seen. INFP's or ISFPs...

As for your friend, I don't know. ISFP's have this face they use for interactions with the world, and below that is their Fi. Most people will never uncover their Fi. It's mostly just things they feel strongly about, personal attachments and such. Like my ex would reveal Fi, by also using it with Se. She would literally almost relive the moment she was recalling, and feel exactly as she did in that moment. I think that's why they make such great artists. They take in detailed experiences and put them into this well of feeling. They're able to pull that stuff out when they choose.

I can't say that I found it entirely interesting, but I don't know... *shrugs* I'm more of a T type INFJ and not an F type INFJ. I like using my Ti for decision making, not my F. Maybe that's why I don't always warm up to Fi.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I know a very bright ISFP. She has the emotional depth necessary to understand when friends need assistance, or when they just want to hang out, and she'll be the first one at your door if you call. Her Fi is keen on it, even if she can't put it in succinct words that she cares. Honestly, who gives though? ISFPs can be warm, deep, and compassionate. An Fi + Se combination can result in the whole analysis paralysis problem, but it can also result in extreme empathy.

I don't think different types require more work than others to achieve emotional balance. Each type has their own arrangement of cognitive functions to maintain a healthy equilibrium. Fi is not a naturally negative function; none of the functions are inherently negative.

That being said, it does seem as if ISFPs require a large commitment of trust before proceeding to the next step, a larger amount than many other types. But from what I've seen, it doesn't have to be a constant attachment, just a continual reinforcement that you're still there and trustworthy.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was wondering if anybody has had any interactions or friendship with an ISFP and could give any insight. Usually I'm able to read people pretty well and go with the flow. However with this guy who I've known (existence wise) for over a decade, I'm still pretty sure I don't know him. Never known another ISFP. The thing is we are both EXTREMELY reserved and although we hang out quite a bit it usually isn't that much more than video games and alcohol ha ha. Maybe throw in some random facts, news/radio, and books. I suppose things are cool the way they are but being an INFJ I'd prefer a closer friendship and this ISFP seems to have potential to be added to the close friend group. I've attempted to have some real conversations but most of the time it just trails off. Thing start getting cryptic. In bigger social gatherings we generally go our separate ways and hit up the extroverts. So it's pretty lame eh?
The ISFP are content in their intellect. They show depth in deeds not words. Look at their way of thinking.

1. They lead with Fi the introverted feeling. They judge ideas and the environment inside themselves. This is not the Fe external feeling of INFJ. We connect in a different way. The depth you believe you experience does not seem as deep because you look at the wrong sign. The INFJ looks for the sign of sharing depth through exposition. This is Fe. The ISFP shows their depth in more subtle expressions. I will explain.

2. They follow with extroverted sense. This is Se. INFJ has Se as one of the top four functions and so the aesthetic things ISFP craves will be appealing to us. Since ISFP wishes to connect to the world through sense and to experience connection in this way you will find a strong bond. The ISFP does not explain. He shows, he proves his depth in actions not words. Do not expect him to express himself as you do. He is satisfied for you to express yourself as you are, for they are content with themselves. Show the same courtesy. Show the intelligence to accept the ISFP for who they are and not who you wish them to be in your ideals. This is true openness. They are deep but it is inside them and expressed outside in a different way to yourself.

3. Next is they use introverted intuition. This is Ni just like you. ISFP Ni accepts information from internal judgment also informed by the environment. This is why they are such good designers of living spaces and creative expressions of sophistication. They understand what is the aesthetic. And there is truth in the aesthetic. As the philosopher INFJ you should know this for your Se and Ni inform you also. So as you see they are expressing depth in physical signs not in verbal signs. Be sophisticated as they are and share your depth with their subtlety. Now you have learned something new instead of being stuck in the way of thinking everyone understand you. Now you understand yourself by understanding others.

4. Finally the ISFP uses extroverted thinking. Te thinking ponders the things which are in the world. The things of propinquity in the space you inhabit at this moment. They understand details that you will miss with your introverted thinking which applies to abstractions one cannot see. Use this talent of theirs to your advantage. They will catch detail which leads to new ideas. Maybe a new place to go. If you expect them to think as you do you will miss their true ideas which come from a talent you do not have.

To be friends with an ISFP you understand their language of the body and the senses. They use the physical and subtle languages. As a wise INFJ you have the talent to experience it and accept it for the truth that it is. You only must free yourself to accept they show you what they can with their ability in the way they can.

Now enjoy your friend and have a rich life with his talent that you do not have. Together in your friendship you have created a new way of being which did not exist when you were by yourself.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow this is making so much sense. You guys are awesome. Thanks a lot. I am honestly terrible at reading body language and going the sensing route of things. I'm more about words but yeah that isn't how ISFPs function. This ISFP definitely shows depth through deeds and subtle language. Perhaps we are better friends than I thought we are? What I like about this dude is what Lor is saying about extroverted thinking. Always always he picks up details that I miss and then it leads to new ideas for me to ponder about. INFJs I'm learning tend to have these set of rules about how to behave and communicate however not many people are able to follow them. ISFPs aside. And as Lor is saying, things should be more about accepting the truth about how other people function. Gah...I feel like such a dope. But in a good way! I'm going to use this information in getting to know other personality types better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts