Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something I was searching for myself and I think is very useful: A thread with typical ISFP problems that people have effectively dealt with, and other successes and how you created them. I think this way we can learn a lot from each other.

I'll go first =

One thing that has helped me a lot, is learning to control my emotions. Because when I feel bad, I hate life and don't do anything. When I feel great, I move forward, make way better decisions and life is great! I learned it with some books and learning to take better meanings from things that happen and it has been invaluable to my life.

My fellow ISFP, please contribute!

·
Registered
474 Posts
I used to be soo disorganized. I would forget where I put things. I would go to the store and only remember 5 or 6 out of the 10 things I needed to buy. I didn't have any routine to household chores. I got really tired of living like that and I realized that I needed to be more organized. As much as I naturally really dislike order and routine, I found that just making lists and having a set day for doing laundry and such have made my life so much easier, lol.

I downloaded a notepad app for my phone and I make notes as soon as I think of them, grocery lists, errands I have to do on the weekends, a bunch of different things. I don't write down household type of things like on a calender, but for the past 2 years I have stuck with a routine and now I don't feel nearly as overwhelmed. I also keep on top of myself to put things back as soon as i'm done using them. I don't forget where anything is anymore.

Growing up I saw my dad being incredibly organized. I used to think it looked like so much extra work. I'm still not as organized as my dad and to be honest, as much as I love him, I don't think I ever want to be that organized, lol. But, from the small adjustments I have made, I can tell you it's a lot more work and confusion being disorganized. It has really helped me a lot.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I have trouble with motivation.... I can never stay motivated to finish anything. I think its got partly to do with the fact that Im a perfectionist and I set my standards for myself far too high, even though I tell myself the opposite - that it doesnt matter how good it turns out just so long as I do my best. Somehow my unconscious(?) is still setting very high standards, which I never meet and end up getting very frustrated. The other part to this problem would be that I get bored with stuff very easily...

Sorry, I dont have a solution to this problem. I was hoping someone else would... :crying:

I do however have one thing in response to this problem, although Im not sure its a solution.
Why goal setting doesn't work | Psychology Today

So does anyone know of anything that could keep me motivated?

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I used to be soo disorganized. I would forget where I put things. I would go to the store and only remember 5 or 6 out of the 10 things I needed to buy. I didn't have any routine to household chores. I got really tired of living like that and I realized that I needed to be more organized. As much as I naturally really dislike order and routine, I found that just making lists and having a set day for doing laundry and such have made my life so much easier, lol.

I downloaded a notepad app for my phone and I make notes as soon as I think of them, grocery lists, errands I have to do on the weekends, a bunch of different things. I don't write down household type of things like on a calender, but for the past 2 years I have stuck with a routine and I don't feel overwhelmed nearly as much anymore. I also keep on top of myself to put things back as soon as i'm done using them. I don't forget where anything is anymore.

Growing up I saw my dad being incredibly organized. I used to think it looked like so much extra work. I'm still not as organized as my dad and to be honest, as much as I love him, I don't think I ever want to be that organized, lol. But, from the small adjustments I have made, I can tell you it's a lot more work and confusion being disorganized. It has really helped me a lot.
lol I do this same thing, writing stuff down so I dont forget. It helps when you need to get things done so you won't forget to do them, or so you wont forget things at the store etc.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Organization will make your life less stressful. Create a schedule and stick with it.

Your mood dictates your behavior around others. I have less control over my emotions but a good arrangement of music will help with that. I found that I'm sensitive to music, and depending on the song, my mood will sway in the direction relative to the genre. My iPod is always there to cheer me up. :D

·
Registered
140 Posts

I downloaded a notepad app for my phone and I make notes as soon as I think of them, grocery lists, errands I have to do on the weekends, a bunch of different things. I don't write down household type of things like on a calender, but for the past 2 years I have stuck with a routine and now I don't feel nearly as overwhelmed. I also keep on top of myself to put things back as soon as i'm done using them. I don't forget where anything is anymore.

Very true...!!:kitteh:

·
Registered
636 Posts
Today we covered a thought experiment in my Philosophy class which went like this: A group of scientists invent a machine which one can 'plug into' and it will stimulate our minds to give us pleasure and we can live what ever life we want in our minds (become a famous musician etc) but our bodies would still be in the real world. Think like The Matrix but instead of just recreating the world in our minds as normal it recreates the world in our minds to create maximum pleasure, minimum pain. (This has a point, I promise.) One of the members of the class jumped in and said that it would be an awful thing to do even if we were happier in the fake world than in ours because all human progress would stop.

This idea made me think of me. I think I've essentially created this machine for myself where I do everything on a maximum pleasure, minimum pain output. Lie in bed or get up and do exercise? (duh, bed is warm and comfy) Create a structure and routine or go with the flow? (The latter, naturally) Do work or daydream? (Essentially I can live my 'ideal life' in my head as though I'm in that machine) My point is, I realised a lot of the time I act like a passive agent rather than taking control and doing what's best for my progression as a person. By the looks of this thread thats a general problem amongst us in terms of not being motivated or structured. I think the ultimate advice for myself and anyone in this same boat would be to become more active - be the leader of my own life. Think in terms of what's best for me in the long run and not just the impulse of the moment. Sure, appreciation of the moment and a calm relaxed attitude is a virtue - but it can also be our greatest downfall. For me, my new goal is to aim higher and try to strive for what I want rather than just accept that somethings are the way they are and then use my imagination to fill in the gaps when I'm unsatisfied. It's time to unplug!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Today we covered a thought experiment in my Philosophy class which went like this: A group of scientists invent a machine which one can 'plug into' and it will stimulate our minds to give us pleasure and we can live what ever life we want in our minds (become a famous musician etc) but our bodies would still be in the real world. Think like The Matrix but instead of just recreating the world in our minds as normal it recreates the world in our minds to create maximum pleasure, minimum pain. (This has a point, I promise.) One of the members of the class jumped in and said that it would be an awful thing to do even if we were happier in the fake world than in ours because all human progress would stop.

This idea made me think of me. I think I've essentially created this machine for myself where I do everything on a maximum pleasure, minimum pain output. Lie in bed or get up and do exercise? (duh, bed is warm and comfy) Create a structure and routine or go with the flow? (The latter, naturally) Do work or daydream? (Essentially I can live my 'ideal life' in my head as though I'm in that machine) My point is, I realised a lot of the time I act like a passive agent rather than taking control and doing what's best for my progression as a person. By the looks of this thread thats a general problem amongst us in terms of not being motivated or structured. I think the ultimate advice for myself and anyone in this same boat would be to become more active - be the leader of my own life. Think in terms of what's best for me in the long run and not just the impulse of the moment. Sure, appreciation of the moment and a calm relaxed attitude is a virtue - but it can also be our greatest downfall. For me, my new goal is to aim higher and try to strive for what I want rather than just accept that somethings are the way they are and then use my imagination to fill in the gaps when I'm unsatisfied. It's time to unplug!
I agree that we can be passive and it can be a downfall.. From what I hear we can certainly be unmotivated or unstructured. I try forcing myself to become more active and to think about the long run instead of just acting on the impulse of the moment (which feels great but frequently takes us nowhere).. Very good point, thanks 4 sharing!

·
Registered
499 Posts
I'm bad about procrastinating, I'll put off doing something I need to do just because it's a pain. I haven't found a technique yet that is entirely effective, but I have found that going outside for a walk and leaving all the distractions (television, Internet, etc.) gives me a minute to clear my head and re-evaluate myself, and kind of give myself a pep talk.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Set lots and lots of tiny goals that can be achieved in a relatively short amount of time. It gets a large task done much faster. Like, 'Write 100 words of essay in 20 minutes, then you can go have a snack' or something like that.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Management of emotions is the big one I've seen. There are times where unbridled emotional content leads you to the highest of places, and times where it can ruin yours and the lives of others in its wake. Acting on feelings alone is as dangerous as ever only acting on reason. It requires a modicum of planning/forward thinking to prevent a world of regret.

Also, on self-esteem, there is nobody out there who is appreciated by everybody, and hardly anybody who is appreciated by the majority. We are the hero in one person's story, but the enemy in another's. If you are yourself, you will sacrifice breadth in relations with others but that is the only way to achieve depth. We are for practical purposes limited to one or the other. Those who mind won't matter and those who matter won't mind. Nobody can lower your self-esteem without your consent. Being your authentic self is more of a contribution to this world than many make.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
I have trouble with motivation.... I can never stay motivated to finish anything. I think its got partly to do with the fact that Im a perfectionist and I set my standards for myself far too high, even though I tell myself the opposite - that it doesnt matter how good it turns out just so long as I do my best. Somehow my unconscious(?) is still setting very high standards, which I never meet and end up getting very frustrated. The other part to this problem would be that I get bored with stuff very easily...

Sorry, I dont have a solution to this problem. I was hoping someone else would... :crying:

I do however have one thing in response to this problem, although Im not sure its a solution.
Why goal setting doesn't work | Psychology Today

So does anyone know of anything that could keep me motivated?
dude...I never wanted to hug a stranger but I relate too much to that not to. DUDE this is brilliant! Skeptics Creed I am humbled.

I will write something profound and life changing later, but for now imo every ISFP needs a cat companion.

·
Registered
140 Posts

·
Banned
6,606 Posts
True, sadly not many have felt like participating in it:unsure:, it could be so helpful if more ISFP's felt like sharing their point of view :wink:

Haha, I've had it "pinned to start", I've been trying to think since I said that about anything I might know to contribute, but honestly, everything seems so subjective. Thus me saying that just about predicted my own actions, which I found ironic and you seem to have as well.

My long-term, significant, verbalizable successes consist of:

But I'm still thinking and hope to answer soon... :wink: (in truth, I wrote that comment to remind myself to reply to this!)

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Set lots and lots of tiny goals that can be achieved in a relatively short amount of time. It gets a large task done much faster. Like, 'Write 100 words of essay in 20 minutes, then you can go have a snack' or something like that.
This was how I got through college. When I'd get a big assignment (paper or project), I'd pull out my DayTimer®, and add into it, across the semester, various mileposts, with reminders (daily, weekly or whatever) of things to do. I also had one other trick up my sleeve. Whatever the due date was, I'd enter it into my calendar for the week before that date. I was never late on an assignment, but I was frequently barely squeaking in under the door. ;-)

For the record, I also find it easier to keep on top of a schedule if I write it on paper rather than type it into a computer. Somehow, the tactile act of writing imprints onto my brain better than typing. However, since I need alarms to help me remember, I tend to use a computer or phone more than paper. My Newton was the best of both worlds. It's a shame Apple killed the whole handwriting recognition thing when they killed the Newton. :-(

·
Banned
6,606 Posts
I'm 48, and that's the way I feel about my life sometimes. :)

I try to not look at the big things, however, and to see the cumulation of the little things. Maybe that's part of succeeding as an ISFP. I dunno...
I readily concur; however, that doesn't satisfy the cries of the masses all too well... Even more than the person who is discontent, off track and flailing with himself and is disowned by the world for what it is that makes him so (for their "standards" might actually help that person when and if he be able to fill them), it is difficult for the person who is content with his peculiarities and is written off by the world for them... that person questions that they may be right, and yet... I dunno.

But then again, we all flail...

I feel half the time that being happy with the way I am, or moreso with the little joyful or small things, has been my greatest setback (especially in the eyes of outsiders). Which seems like an oxymoron. :rolleyes: It is so easy for me to find that wonderful significance in a "small" life... and yet the joy in that gives me a greater craving, a desire for a wider/broader/deeper understanding of that same significance I find so delightful, at the same time: and yet also wanting to remain simple, able to go back to that root of significance in the small things at any given time.

I guess I would prefer a "web" of appreciation/drive in life, always having the same center, going out, yes, but also reaching back in, everything consistent; as opposed to a constantly progressive, "advancing" style of change, that ditches old joys, old significances in search of thrills: all incongruously. I'd like a tree of experience as opposed to a highway of one. To grow, not to desert; bloom not give up. And applying that to real life... I find the former more difficult but more pleasing and so not difficult, and the latter more encouraged but painful and so discouraging. ach

I don't know if any of that made sense... :tongue: heehee

·
Registered
265 Posts
This sort of correlates with Nayru's first comment, but I know this is a problem for me as an ISFP, trying to lessen my reactions to things other people say or do. It goes hand in hand with trying to control our emotions (which is really hard to do), and yet is something different. It is hard to control how we feel about something, because while it may not be 'logical' or 'rational', it is a truth, and we have to admit and realise this truth so that we can perhaps moderate the level of how much it affects us. Many times I feel that my emotions cN be the bane of my existance, and yet many other times, my emotions are the beauty and light of it. I have realised,(through these forums, thinking and therapy), that being an ISFP is who I am, and I can't change that, nor should I try. In the past, I have often questioned what my purpose in life is, because it seemed (to me), that I had nothing to give! No scientific discoveries, or new math equations(or even old math equations), no organisation skills, or leadership skills, or anything else that helps to bring people together for a greater cause, so as much as I want to, how do I better this world? How do I help others? What have I to give?(obviously 2w1 lol)
We are special. each and every person is special. YOU are special. We have different opinions to give, and we have love to give. We have creativity and art to give! We each have our talents and each talent contributes to the world. We have perspective to give. We can help other people to see the world as a beautiful place, we have the passion to save what we care about, and yes we make up the lack of emotions in the other types, because we care so deeply, and that is a good thing. We are different but we are loved, and we love in return. Because we love cats and they love us!:kitteh: Ahem, i mean people... Yeah, people!:tongue:
Sorry I'm passionately ranting again.

Reactions: kekike and devsmess
1 - 20 of 76 Posts