Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ISFP males! Welcome :) ISFP guys are great.

If you don't have the patience to read this whole thing, you can just scroll to the bottom for my question. But knowing where I'm coming from in this scenario might help you answer it better for me. :)

Okay, so I need some advice here. I am an INFP lady. I met an ISFP male working at summer camp. We both worked at the same location every Tuesday. We had a flirty vibe going. We had no cell service most of the day except when we had WiFi in our rooms so I slipped him a note saying "Hey, we should talk more and grab coffee soon" at the security booth.

He ends up texting me. Super sweet. Sending emojis, being intentional and a gentleman. We go on the date. It was super nice. He bought my coffee. At the end of the day, he was talking up doing it again like a good amount, kept saying "We should do it again soon, maybe walk around the lake again," etc.

A few days later he leaves for a 10-day vacation with his family. The guy comes back. We see each other the next Tuesday at work. Another Tuesday comes and we see each other at work. Both Tuesdays were super casual just talking at work for the 30 min we see each other. But it had been 3 weeks since our last date and we had 2 weeks at that point till camp was going to end.

I text him asking if he has like 15 min to chat because I obviously need to ask what is going on because I'm confused since he said he wanted to hang again.

It takes him a week to commit to a time. We meet up and discuss. He seems pretty wishy-washy saying "It's not that I'm not interested. It just takes me a while to know if I want to get intentional about pursuing a girl." I agree it makes sense to me. But I point out it is more about making expectations because he said we'd get together again but he left me hanging and thinking he was going to be rude and flat out ignore me or something. All is good, camp ends.

I go back to school. I end up stopping in his area to see if he's around to maybe meet up. He is out of town with his family that weekend so it doesn't work out.

Four months pass by. I end up moving to his area. I message him over Instagram complimenting his artwork and subtly informing I live in his area now. We go back and forth a bit and the conversation fizzles out.

I am pretty sure he isn't interested but I also know that ISFPs are known for not initiating and feeling like a burden. He also is definitely an Enneagram 9 and I know he is going through a lot of anxiety wise and career wise so it is very likely it has to do with those things.

But, I would love some insight: If you read the story, do you think he is not interested in me? Do you think he too overwhelmed to be interested? Or, I would love to know in general how much of a push an ISFP guy needs to make a move for you. And do you have any tips for me in this situation?!

·
Registered
ENTJ 7w8 sx/so
8,202 Posts

Hello ISFP males! Welcome :) ISFP guys are great.

If you don't have the patience to read this whole thing, you can just scroll to the bottom for my question. But knowing where I'm coming from in this scenario might help you answer it better for me. :)

Okay, so I need some advice here. I am an INFP lady. I met an ISFP male working at summer camp. We both worked at the same location every Tuesday. We had a flirty vibe going. We had no cell service most of the day except when we had WiFi in our rooms so I slipped him a note saying "Hey, we should talk more and grab coffee soon" at the security booth.

He ends up texting me. Super sweet. Sending emojis, being intentional and a gentleman. We go on the date. It was super nice. He bought my coffee. At the end of the day, he was talking up doing it again like a good amount, kept saying "We should do it again soon, maybe walk around the lake again," etc.

A few days later he leaves for a 10-day vacation with his family. The guy comes back. We see each other the next Tuesday at work. Another Tuesday comes and we see each other at work. Both Tuesdays were super casual just talking at work for the 30 min we see each other. But it had been 3 weeks since our last date and we had 2 weeks at that point till camp was going to end.

I text him asking if he has like 15 min to chat because I obviously need to ask what is going on because I'm confused since he said he wanted to hang again.

It takes him a week to commit to a time. We meet up and discuss. He seems pretty wishy-washy saying "It's not that I'm not interested. It just takes me a while to know if I want to get intentional about pursuing a girl." I agree it makes sense to me. But I point out it is more about making expectations because he said we'd get together again but he left me hanging and thinking he was going to be rude and flat out ignore me or something. All is good, camp ends.

I go back to school. I end up stopping in his area to see if he's around to maybe meet up. He is out of town with his family that weekend so it doesn't work out.

Four months pass by. I end up moving to his area. I message him over Instagram complimenting his artwork and subtly informing I live in his area now. We go back and forth a bit and the conversation fizzles out.

I am pretty sure he isn't interested but I also know that ISFPs are known for not initiating and feeling like a burden. He also is definitely an Enneagram 9 and I know he is going through a lot of anxiety wise and career wise so it is very likely it has to do with those things.

But, I would love some insight: If you read the story, do you think he is not interested in me? Do you think he too overwhelmed to be interested? Or, I would love to know in general how much of a push an ISFP guy needs to make a move for you. And do you have any tips for me in this situation?!
Sounds like he lost interest.

There's kind of an old saying to not start summer relationships, and the corollary: especially don't start a romance at summer camp, because they tend to end with the season.

Might have been what happened with your ISFP friend. Things didn't work out, he didn't want to force it and now he just wants to move on.

But yeah, I'd say it just didn't work between the two of you, but maybe the ISFPs will have some more insight. :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much, yeah, any sort of clarity or closure in this is helpful. My freaking INFP fantasy brain can't stop exploring the endless possible answers to this question and I only went on one stupid date with the guy. Smh.

·
Registered
ENTJ 7w8 sx/so
8,202 Posts
Thanks so much, yeah, any sort of clarity or closure in this is helpful. My freaking INFP fantasy brain can't stop exploring the endless possible answers to this question and I only went on one stupid date with the guy. Smh.
Yeah, I think the unfortunate timing was the problem. A lot of people take bad timing as a sign and just want to move on. It also doesn't help that it was a summer romance. But who knows, maybe it could happen but just not now. If not, then there will be more guys and more dates. :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, exactly! I feel like an ISFP would definitely be one of those people, too, that would just take it as a "not meant to be" sign. I wish I could let go more easily. I really got excited about this dude, so it's hard to fully let go especially knowing we live in the same town now - almost all the way there though which is good. And you're so right, more dates and fellers for sure.

Appreciate the kindness :)

·
Registered
ENTJ 7w8 sx/so
8,202 Posts
Yeah, exactly! I feel like an ISFP would definitely be one of those people, too, that would just take it as a "not meant to be" sign. I wish I could let go more easily. I really got excited about this dude, so it's hard to fully let go especially knowing we live in the same town now - almost all the way there though which is good. And you're so right, more dates and fellers for sure.

Appreciate the kindness :)
Yeah, unfortunate but I like to look forward to the future and not dwell on the past, so if I were you, I'd be looking forward to meeting NEW people! and going on MORE dates! Who knows, that might include ISFP summer dude. :)

Also, you're welcome. INFPs can find the world to be too rough at times, so you peeps can always use more kindness. :)

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Do ISFP males ever give verbal hints they are interested...like using the word love a lot in their texts...i love that...i would love to see you...etc?

Or are actions the best indicator? And what would that look like? Spending as much time together as possible...or not...cuz you want your space and freedom too?

Trying to understand what a free and adventurous spirit would look like in love...and if it would go against traditional advice on how men would behave in love. For example, an ISFP rejecting plans to meet up with a girl they like because something more fun is already planned. Could this happen? Does it mean he lost interest? Or simply an SP thing.

Reactions: infpshewolf

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do ISFP males ever give verbal hints they are interested...like using the word love a lot in their texts...i love that...i would love to see you...etc?

Or are actions the best indicator? And what would that look like? Spending as much time together as possible...or not...cuz you want your space and freedom too?

Trying to understand what a free and adventurous spirit would look like in love...and if it would go against traditional advice on how men would behave in love. For example, an ISFP rejecting plans to meet up with a girl they like because something more fun is already planned. Could this happen? Does it mean he lost interest? Or simply an SP thing.
Yes ^^ exactly. Those are all my questions, too!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Can't speak for others ISFP's, enneagram and other factors can likely shake this up, so keep that in mind.

Personally, when I cross someone I'm strongly attracted to (which isn't based on appearance so much as 'vibe' and presence) my Fi knows it immediately. Obviously I have to spend more time with someone to develop feelings/attachments and a sense of compatibility (Se can lack Ni's predictive ability or 'knowing' with very little sensate data, and doesn't get really attached to the possibility and idea of someone, like Ne does.) And it's pretty rare, but when it happens I do find that I'm willing to move out of my typical free-spirited, reclusive mode *much* more than usual.

I won't chase, but I will make myself highly available to that person, respond quickly and with assurance, and I will send random texts about things I love or find funny (or think they will find funny), and I will be on the lookout for any experiences/events I can invite them to, in the most casual, no-pressure way.

This comes across a bit funny at times, because I may channel my excitement and interest of the person, into the Se-ish experience or event, which results in me going off about how fun and amazing it's going to be (like I could practically be a promoter of this event which really, until an hour ago when I realized it would be something fun to do together, I didn't really give a shit about) but then end it with 'So yeah, it's going to be awesome. You should seriously think about coming, it'll be so fun. But if you can't, that's like totally okay too, no worries at all, I know how busy stuff gets" (secretly preying they take they accept, but if they don't I protect myself from direct rejection because hey, I didn't sell myself, I sold the experience, right?)

If I'm invited to things, I will go out of my way to make that happen, unless its going to put me into a very uncomfortable position with other people I'm not ready for. If that happens, I will decline but make sure they know I'm receptive to something else.

I once dated an INTJ for about a year. I haven't clicked so easily or quickly with any other type, INFJs being a close 2nd. Socionics activity relations maybe. the INFP's and I also gravitate to each other in work and social settings. We seem to have an inherent understanding via shared Fi. But ime, it's more of a platonic exchange, like I get them and they get me and such understanding is precious and comforting, but not exactly 'activating' for some reason. I'm basing this more off my younger years though, and I've heard that when we are less integrated, we seek out in others what is weak in ourselves.

I imagine ISFP E9's could be much more difficult to pin down. Their defense mechanism (narcotization) might kind of numb out the emotional intensity and attraction that I look for as a 4. Actually, I know this to be case, because my current partner is an E9 (different mb) and this is the first relationship where I really took the lead. I sometimes joke that I still don't know if they are really madly in love with, and choosing me... or if fighting me off was just too difficult for their passive, conflict-averse nature. ;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can't speak for others ISFP's, enneagram and other factors can likely shake this up, so keep that in mind.

Personally, when I cross someone I'm strongly attracted to (which isn't based on appearance so much as 'vibe' and presence) my Fi knows it immediately. Obviously I have to spend more time with someone to develop feelings/attachments and a sense of compatibility (Se can lack Ni's predictive ability or 'knowing' with very little sensate data, and doesn't get really attached to the possibility and idea of someone, like Ne does.) And it's pretty rare, but when it happens I do find that I'm willing to move out of my typical free-spirited, reclusive mode *much* more than usual.

I won't chase, but I will make myself highly available to that person, respond quickly and with assurance, and I will send random texts about things I love or find funny (or think they will find funny), and I will be on the lookout for any experiences/events I can invite them to, in the most casual, no-pressure way.

This comes across a bit funny at times, because I may channel my excitement and interest of the person, into the Se-ish experience or event, which results in me going off about how fun and amazing it's going to be (like I could practically be a promoter of this event which really, until an hour ago when I realized it would be something fun to do together, I didn't really give a shit about) but then end it with 'So yeah, it's going to be awesome. You should seriously think about coming, it'll be so fun. But if you can't, that's like totally okay too, no worries at all, I know how busy stuff gets" (secretly preying they take they accept, but if they don't I protect myself from direct rejection because hey, I didn't sell myself, I sold the experience, right?)

If I'm invited to things, I will go out of my way to make that happen, unless its going to put me into a very uncomfortable position with other people I'm not ready for. If that happens, I will decline but make sure they know I'm receptive to something else.

I once dated an INTJ for about a year. I haven't clicked so easily or quickly with any other type, INFJs being a close 2nd. Socionics activity relations maybe. the INFP's and I also gravitate to each other in work and social settings. We seem to have an inherent understanding via shared Fi. But ime, it's more of a platonic exchange, like I get them and they get me and such understanding is precious and comforting, but not exactly 'activating' for some reason. I'm basing this more off my younger years though, and I've heard that when we are less integrated, we seek out in others what is weak in ourselves.

I imagine ISFP E9's could be much more difficult to pin down. Their defense mechanism (narcotization) might kind of numb out the emotional intensity and attraction that I look for as a 4. Actually, I know this to be case, because my current partner is an E9 (different mb) and this is the first relationship where I really took the lead. I sometimes joke that I still don't know if they are really madly in love with, and choosing me... or if fighting me off was just too difficult for their passive, conflict-averse nature. ;)

Thank you so much. This is very insightful.

I totally agree and it's such a good point what you're saying about that Ne stick of an idea of what could happen in the future versus Se's needing to get a taste for things for a while to then see it becoming something. I think that might have been what the guy was saying with our scenario when we concluded our time at summer camp.

And whoa, you explaining this makes perfect sense. I feel like I can see this ISFP guy operating so in the moment (so different from me sticking and staying faithful to this idea of what we could be) and being so not chasing and so non-pressure. I got that vibe a lot. He would talk to me a lot at work and I think I was being kind of mysterious and not totally outwardly excited when he suggested we do something again, so I can see how he might have tried to keep things super low pressure.

In terms of when you say "If I'm invited to things, I will go out of my way to make that happen, unless its going to put me into a very uncomfortable position with other people I'm not ready for. If that happens, I will decline but make sure they know I'm receptive to something else," do you mean you will not go out of the way to make it happen if you feel like you don't know the person well enough so it could be uncomfortable? And by "something else" do you mean like hint at staying friends in this example?

And omg 9's in general...yes exactly you put it so well "I still don't know if they are really madly in love with, and choosing me... or if fighting me off was just too difficult for their passive, conflict-averse nature." That was my greatest fear with this dude. I'm sure his enneagram plays a lot into this scenario and also I'm sure, of course, more life factors beyond all the personality stuff.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I interpreted it as if you invite him with your other friends...but he doesn't like your other friends as much, so he will decline but still say he is up to hang out another time, hopefully with a crew he likes...?

I am wondering, does feeling for someone with Fi make your love last unusually long, even when other hints have been denied by the girl? My issue was that I don't get hints or if i do, i really dont know how to respond. I can imagine that has made guys move on real quickly. That is why I am waiting for a real patient guy.

Reactions: infpshewolf

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I interpreted it as if you invite him with your other friends...but he doesn't like your other friends as much, so he will decline but still say he is up to hang out another time, hopefully with a crew he likes...?

I am wondering, does feeling for someone with Fi make your love last unusually long, even when other hints have been denied by the girl? My issue was that I don't get hints or if i do, i really dont know how to respond. I can imagine that has made guys move on real quickly. That is why I am waiting for a real patient guy.
Oh, that makes sense. Yeah, well, what I invited him to was to just hang with me lol.

Is your question, "Is it possible for a Fi dominant user (like an INFP or ISFP) to be into someone who is missing the hints likely to like the 'beloved' an unusually long amount of time despite the fact the 'beloved' isn't getting it?"

If that is your question, my answer is that as an INFP, yes. For ISFPs probably not as long as an INFP. INFPs have Se trickster so we have no idea what kind of effect we are having on people around us in the physical world. Si users tend to repeat themselves and the stories we share because do not understand what sensory experience we are giving others in an extroverted way. Because we have Ne parent, we cling to the idea of who we think someone is and because we have Si, we will stay rooted in that idea for a really long time.

In my mind, how I think it works is that we receive a magical experience from someone (as Si users love to receive good experiences and Se users like to give good experiences) and we see how it related to our values and we can see the multiple possibilities of what it can be (Ne parent). So we have to live in real time hanging onto an idea rooted in past positive experiences we had with others that are making our fantasy brains go crazy with the many possible wonderful possibilities (Ne) out of that one really good past experience (from Si). It takes us living in our heads in that fantasy world for a very long time staying so utterly faithful to the past (with Si child) walking through the present here and now unaware of the misery we are in and the loneliness we are in pursuing a dream that has no prospect until we wake up and realize "Hey, I am so unappreciated by that person" and then we wrestle with our self-loathing trying to kick off this big dream or idea we have of the person that we are realizing isn't who they actually are.

So short answer, yes an INFP definitely can be stuck on an idea of you for far too long and not take the hint that you're not interested. I think it's also a thing of looking for a good or gratifying sign back from you so if you do have any interest and you want to keep an INFP around and keep getting to know them, keep giving them positive feedback and experience. Show them you like to talk to them and smile at them even if you're not sure if you'd end up wanting to be with them.

Showing a minimal amount of availability and possibility for an INFP will likely make them chase your attention even more. And I don't think there is any harm in simply showing them you like talking to them. That won't lead them on, but probably give them the attention they honestly really want.

·
Registered
126 Posts
First of all,
I agree with all of this, so thanks @ultracrepidarian !

I'll also say that, likely due to Se, I focus primarily on who is there currently in my life. If I have feelings for someone and they're out-of-sight/not around for too long during the "courting" phase, there's a chance the feelings will leave as well (or so I've realized) so I tend to wait the feelings out a bit to make sure its legit. If the feelings last, then I'll pursue them - though It'll be quite subtle until I get more comfortable around them. Also similarly to ultracrepidarian, I will make myself as available as I can to them, and do what I can to just be in their presence.

Based on what you wrote OP, all you can really do is see if he comes around, or move on. At this point, I'd say it's his move. You messaged him, let him know your in town, etc. If he isn't responding to any of that (especially if you made it clear that you want to hang out) then he may have simply lost interest. (Personally speaking, if someone I liked messaged me, let me know they're around, and better yet straight up told me they're interested and it was mutual, I'd be quick to work something out.)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
First of all, I agree with all of this, so thanks @ultracrepidarian !

I'll also say that, likely due to Se, I focus primarily on who is there currently in my life. If I have feelings for someone and they're out-of-sight/not around for too long during the "courting" phase, there's a chance the feelings will leave as well (or so I've realized) so I tend to wait the feelings out a bit to make sure its legit. If the feelings last, then I'll pursue them - though It'll be quite subtle until I get more comfortable around them. Also similarly to ultracrepidarian, I will make myself as available as I can to them, and do what I can to just be in their presence.

Based on what you wrote OP, all you can really do is see if he comes around, or move on. At this point, I'd say it's his move. You messaged him, let him know your in town, etc. If he isn't responding to any of that (especially if you made it clear that you want to hang out) then he may have simply lost interest. (Personally speaking, if someone I liked messaged me, let me know they're around, and better yet straight up told me they're interested and it was mutual, I'd be quick to work something out.)
That's awesome, thanks so much katnip. Very helpful and confirming of what I felt like was going on so having that clarity is 2legit2quit.

One more question for you, I am planning on having a housewarming party soon and was thinking of inviting him (not to necessarily pursue anything romantic but to just connect and even be friends with him). If you were in his shoes and I invited you, would you feel weirded out that I cared to invite you?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I would’ve gotten back to you already. You like him a lot...so of course you’re pushing. If a girl keeps pursuing me like that and it’s someone I had deep feelings for already, (and i don’t think I’m a 9 but) that “positive chase” from her steady enough has good chances of me reciprocating. Don’t think you got to bond enough

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, that is how I feel in this situation. I know I don't really know him and he doesn't really know me. I feel like it's silly to still care because it's been months and months since we went on one date. But, I feel bothered because it seems like we didn't have enough time or space to bond and see if it even made any sense in the first place.

He might literally not even be the right person for me or vice versa, but in my mind, the only way we'll really know is if we let ourselves be around each other comfortably.

My biggest concern is that if I invite him to my housewarming party that it would creep him out, which is totally possible. It's clear he isn't madly interested in me and that's fine. I am happy to just connect as friends, genuinely.

Now you got me curious @theshowgoeson, 1) do you think he would be creeped out if I invited him to my housewarming party? and 2) if I did, do you think it would increase chances of him reciprocating?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yeah, that is how I feel in this situation. I know I don't really know him and he doesn't really know me. I feel like it's silly to still care because it's been months and months since we went on one date. But, I feel bothered because it seems like we didn't have enough time or space to bond and see if it even made any sense in the first place.

He might literally not even be the right person for me or vice versa, but in my mind, the only way we'll really know is if we let ourselves be around each other comfortably.

My biggest concern is that if I invite him to my housewarming party that it would creep him out, which is totally possible. It's clear he isn't madly interested in me and that's fine. I am happy to just connect as friends, genuinely.

Now you got me curious @theshowgoeson, 1) do you think he would be creeped out if I invited him to my housewarming party? and 2) if I did, do you think it would increase chances of him reciprocating?
My answer to that is who cares lol.. due to my being Aquarius lol. Very free spirited. Really, there’s nothing wrong with that type of invitation anyway. I’m just warning you, it’s not looking good. But shoot your shot. If not, leave it alone.

·
Registered
126 Posts
@infpshewolf No problem!

To answer your question; Unless you did something to make me feel really uncomfortable, I think I'd be more happy than weirded out that you cared enough to invite me, especially if we had a good connection - as friends or otherwise.

Of course this is based on my own experience, but I hope it helps.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks so much, @katnip! The idea of inviting him makes me feel better after hearing it wouldn't be weird from an ISFP. (I hope I didn't do anything to make him uncomfortable. Haha)

I feel like the invite might be a good way to smooth over the unspoken "erm you never really did anything" tension that might be there, so if we ever cross paths with mutual camp friends it's no big deal.

Anyways, thanks so much for your help, sweet ISFP. You have no idea how much beauty and sensation and genuine enjoyment you bring to the world. As an INFP, I'm always literally jealous of ISFPs and ESFPs abilities to make gorgeous aesthetics and communicate so much depth and emotion without any words but totally through a sensate experience. It's awesome.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts