Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[EDIT] Oh God, I've put this in the wrong section. How embarassing. Could a moderator move this to the Whats My Personality Type forum? I have no idea how I ended up posting it here. Thanks.

Now, I know what you're thinking - another person that doesn't understand the J/P divide, right? I actually do know how the J/P completely changes the functions of a person, but believe it or not I'm still confused between the two.

It basically comes from not knowing the differences between Fi-Se and Si-Fe. Going by the basic dichotomies, I'm an ISFP (with a very mild S preference). Going by functions, it seems like I use all of the sensing and feeling functions. I can relate to all of them, but the intuition and thinking functions seem somewhat alien to me.

I've always thought of my child self as being a strong Fi user. I would always have an emotional outburst whenever something didn't go my way, and I was always hyper aware of what I wanted for myself. I had an intense value system and if something didn't fit with it, I'd usually burst into tears (if said thing was heavily involved with my life).

Granted, I was a pretty unhealthy child due to bullying. That's sort of leveled out now, but I still think I'm somewhat socially paranoid and whatnot. Before I discovered MBTI, I saw Fi as somewhat of a demon. I thought that empathy was evil, and that you shouldn't relate anybody else's feelings to your own. So for that reason, I made a very hard effort to act like a Fe user (not that I knew about Fi/Fe at the time). I'd try to stop relating everything to myself and instead act like I was feeling genuine sympathy for another.

The thing is, I've never been able to directly experience somebody else's emotions. Unless it's happened to me in the past or I'm feeling the same emotion, I simply can't sympathize. Fi is often described as having a value system of sorts, and I definitely do have something like that, but I keep finding that it gets pushed aside in favour of pleasing others. I hate getting in the way of other people's needs, so I often adjust to accommodate them (often reluctantly). I'm pretty sure this is Fe.

On the sensation side of things, I can't figure out whether I'm more Si or Se either. Whenever I try to be introspective and observe how I perceive things, it always comes out as Si - I keep relating new experiences to past ones, and projecting my own feeling of things onto objects. For example, I'll often describe places with adjectives, rather than nouns. "This forest feels lively" or "This house feels empty". I could say the latter even when said house isn't actually empty. I've done this sort of stuff from an early age, whenever I listen to music I like to observe the feeling the music stirs inside of me. Then I often create a movie sequence or something to go along with the music. Whenever I tried to describe this to my parents, though, it never came out how I'd pictured it in my head, so now I avoid explaining what I think when I listen to music. But for every song I listen to, I always have some sort of image (it can be either still or moving) in my head to go along with the music. Is this Si? Or is it just Fi using Se in order to represent how I feel?

Whenever I'm not paying attention to my thoughts and feelings, however, I think I end up using Se. If I have to pay attention to the world around me or focus on something properly, I don't get this imagery in my head. I don't get the same feelings inside me that I do when I'm introspecting on what I'm doing. I simply see stuff as it is without projecting any sort of image onto it. Se apparently lives in the present, and though I think I do, my head's always elsewhere. It's not the future, nor the past, it's just... not where I am right now. I don't know how to describe it.

Last time I made a type me thread, it was when I was confused between S and N. Somebody suggested I might be an INFP with underdeveloped Ne, stuck in a Fi-Si loop. I considered this, but if this is the truth I have very, very low Ne. I hardly use it at all. I do relate to the avoidant issues that Fi-Si brings up, though.

I've read both the "You know you're an XXXX when..." threads for ISFP and ISFJ. In both of them, it feels like something's missing. In the ISFP one, nobody mentions the fear of hurting other people's feelings that I have, or the anxiety for new situations that I get. In the ISFJ one, nobody talks about the love for nature, wildlife, animals and all things beautiful that I have. My favourite place to be is in a forest far away from any noisy city, while it's somewhat cool, overcast and maybe raining slightly. I love this because it feels so natural and comfortable to be among nature like that. I love the smell of bark and leaves when they're wet, and the feeling of wet grass, the sound of rain bouncing off the leaves. I'm lucky to have a place like this near my house. It can be nice at night too, night time holds a mysterious yet exciting feeling that I can't get enough of. Oftentimes I will lean out of my window when it's raining or dark, or even both, and just smell the air, stare at the trees over the hills in the distance, the forest at the bottom of the hill, the clouds slowly drifting over the village. I can't describe how it makes me feel, the nearest word I can think of is just 'happy'.

Okay, I've gone off on a serious tangent there. The only other thing that makes me doubt I'm an ISFJ is that I don't fit the SJ profile at all. SJs supposedly like order and structure in things, and are more comfortable with the known, tending to stick to doing things they've always done. This doesn't really sound familiar to me, as I've always strayed away from what my parents taught me to do and done things my own way. I also don't like knowing exactly what's going to happen every day. I know that the idea of J being organized and P being unorganized is a bit iffy in the MBTI world, but I definitely relate more to P if we're going by that. My parents constantly get angry at me for having such a messy room, stuff all over the place and not in its 'proper place' as they describe it. I often put things in places that I'll remember them best, I always put electronic stuff by my bed so I can pick them up whenever I need them. My mum and dad come in practically every day, pick it all up and put it somewhere where it looks neater to them. This drives me crazy, because they just can't understand that I like it there, and I put it there for a reason!

Anyway, I think that post is long enough... sorry for all the explaining I've done, I got way too carried away. I suppose I've been holding in these ideas for a long time. If it would help to do the questionnaire then I'll do that too, but I don't think I can manage typing out anything else right now :laughing:

Any replies will be greatly appreciated!

Reactions: Coskun

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
@Kitzara - No worries. x3 I've done the same exact thing too... I always feel like crawling into some hole... X__x

·
Registered
392 Posts
My first impression about you based on your communication style was INFP, but as I read it seems like you are ISFP on the verge of being an 'N.' The fact that you have your "own way of doing things" indicates independence, which can be seen in most P's and use of Ni, as well.

Reactions: Kito

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Probably you are an ISFP just from that post. Fi-users can act Fe-ish too, especially if it fits their value system.
I guess you're right. Do you have an opinion on the Si/Se part too?

·
Rebel without a cause
2,725 Posts
Regarding empathy/sympathy it's the other way around, empathy is immersing in someone elses feelings, and sympathy is putting yourself in someone elses shoes.

So, regarding empathy (genuinely absorbing someones feelings) do you have empathy for animals and children? I've found my self in a very similar position where I don't feel something if an adult starts crying out of nowhere, but really feeling pain if I see an animal or toddler hurt.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Regarding empathy/sympathy it's the other way around, empathy is immersing in someone elses feelings, and sympathy is putting yourself in someone elses shoes.

So, regarding empathy (genuinely absorbing someones feelings) do you have empathy for animals and children? I've found my self in a very similar position where I don't feel something if an adult starts crying out of nowhere, but really feeling pain if I see an animal or toddler hurt.
Oh. Oops. I've always felt empathy for animals in that case, and to some extent children. But if an adult is really upset over something, unless it's the death of a loved one (seeing as I can relate to that) then I almost have to force myself to feel the same thing as they do. I feel like I have a duty to make them feel better, though.

·
Rebel without a cause
2,725 Posts
Oh. Oops. I've always felt empathy for animals in that case, and to some extent children. But if an adult is really upset over something, unless it's the death of a loved one (seeing as I can relate to that) then I almost have to force myself to feel the same thing as they do. I feel like I have a duty to make them feel better, though.
Yes, it reminded me of this:
"ESFP/ENTJ: Se/Te or Te/Se--Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder (not the same thing as OCD)! I've seen people mistake ESFPs in Se+Te dom-tert loops for ESTPs because they can be so insistent upon controlling their surroundings. These types epitomize enneagram type 8, as they are aggressive, blunt, confrontational and not the least bit afraid of hurting anyone's feelings. Inside they require the approval of others to a much higher degree than they let on, as Te insists on controlling and organizing external surroundings to ridiculous proportions, while Se pushes any naysayers out of the way with aggressive force and a take-no-prisoners attitude. Territorial and looking for any reason to display their power, these types are some of the most difficult to deal with of all dom-tert loops. If Fi/Ni were doing its job, these types would stop to consider that their actions have negative implications for others, and that aggressively taking charge is not always the best solution in every situation."
Articles - Dominant-Tertiary Loops and Common Personality Disorders

I often find myself in the same position as you, and I suspect that it has to do with Se+Te. Being blunt (Se+Te), and then shamefully regretting it later (Fi+Ni) seems to fit well with ISFPs cognitive functions. My theory is that animals and toddlers to begin with are more direct which corresponds well with Fi+Se, and as such invoking empathy. But when an adult is crying, we ask "Why?", invoking Te, then Ni patching it together and eventually relating to it with Fi, but without Se we'll be deprived our main and preferred way to take in information, leaving us with just that, Te -> Ni -> Fi.

On the other hand Ni realizes that being so cold is unreasonable and that people do get hurt and overcompensate for it if you don't want to be considered cold hearted - which you're not.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, it reminded me of this:
Articles - Dominant-Tertiary Loops and Common Personality Disorders

I often find myself in the same position as you, and I suspect that it has to do with Se+Te. Being blunt (Se+Te), and then shamefully regretting it later (Fi+Ni) seems to fit well with ISFPs cognitive functions. My theory is that animals and toddlers to begin with are more direct which corresponds well with Fi+Se, and as such invoking empathy. But when an adult is crying, we ask "Why?", invoking Te, then Ni patching it together and eventually relating to it with Fi, but without Se we'll be deprived our main and preferred way to take in information, leaving us with just that, Te -> Ni -> Fi.

On the other hand Ni realizes that being so cold is unreasonable and that people do get hurt and overcompensate for it if you don't want to be considered cold hearted - which you're not.
That made so much sense! I could relate pretty easily. Maybe I just have overdeveloped Ni (ignore my signature, it's old) and it's making me nervous about hurting other people's feelings (Fi-Ne) and that's why I'm mistaking it for Fe? Hmm.

·
Rebel without a cause
2,725 Posts
That made so much sense! I could relate pretty easily. Maybe I just have overdeveloped Ni (ignore my signature, it's old) and it's making me nervous about hurting other people's feelings (Fi-Ne) and that's why I'm mistaking it for Fe? Hmm.
I think it has more to do with awareness of the Se+Te expression. You don't intend to hurt anyone, so you'll become anxious knowing that you actually may hurt someone unintentionally? That could put anyone on the nervous edge.

·
Registered
762 Posts
This might be a little annoying, but I didn't read your whole post. (Maybe my Ni got overwhelmed ;). )

Going by your function order in your signature, I would say that you are Fi-dom. Why? Because both thinking functions are dead last. This indicates that it's your inferior, to me. That means you're a feeling dom, and because Fi is a couple steps ahead of Fe (and if I'd actually read your post, I'm assuming you identify as an introvert?), I'd guess you're an Fi dom. The fact that your Se is greater than your Ni reinforces that you're Ji.

Regarding distinguishing between N/S, based on your function order, it seems clear that you use Se and Ni more than Si and Ne. This means XSXP or XNXJ. Throw in the introversion/Fi-dom, and again, it looks like ISFP.

Congrats on being an ISFP! (probably!)

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
On the sensation side of things, I can't figure out whether I'm more Si or Se either. Whenever I try to be introspective and observe how I perceive things, it always comes out as Si - I keep relating new experiences to past ones, and projecting my own feeling of things onto objects. For example, I'll often describe places with adjectives, rather than nouns. "This forest feels lively" or "This house feels empty". I could say the latter even when said house isn't actually empty. I've done this sort of stuff from an early age, whenever I listen to music I like to observe the feeling the music stirs inside of me. Then I often create a movie sequence or something to go along with the music. Whenever I tried to describe this to my parents, though, it never came out how I'd pictured it in my head, so now I avoid explaining what I think when I listen to music. But for every song I listen to, I always have some sort of image (it can be either still or moving) in my head to go along with the music. Is this Si? Or is it just Fi using Se in order to represent how I feel?

Whenever I'm not paying attention to my thoughts and feelings, however, I think I end up using Se. If I have to pay attention to the world around me or focus on something properly, I don't get this imagery in my head. I don't get the same feelings inside me that I do when I'm introspecting on what I'm doing. I simply see stuff as it is without projecting any sort of image onto it. Se apparently lives in the present, and though I think I do, my head's always elsewhere. It's not the future, nor the past, it's just... not where I am right now. I don't know how to describe it.
I think it could be possible you are INFP. Ne is kinda in the present to, but not in the same way Se is. It isn't future oriented, but the images in your head could be Ne imagining alternate realities

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think it could be possible you are INFP. Ne is kinda in the present to, but not in the same way Se is. It isn't future oriented, but the images in your head could be Ne imagining alternate realities
I have thought this, but I'm definitely not an iNtuitive. I just don't relate to the INFP descriptions or the threads they post in their forum.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I've read both the "You know you're an XXXX when..." threads for ISFP and ISFJ. In both of them, it feels like something's missing. In the ISFP one, nobody mentions the fear of hurting other people's feelings that I have, or the anxiety for new situations that I get. In the ISFJ one, nobody talks about the love for nature, wildlife, animals and all things beautiful that I have. My favourite place to be is in a forest far away from any noisy city, while it's somewhat cool, overcast and maybe raining slightly. I love this because it feels so natural and comfortable to be among nature like that. I love the smell of bark and leaves when they're wet, and the feeling of wet grass, the sound of rain bouncing off the leaves. I'm lucky to have a place like this near my house. It can be nice at night too, night time holds a mysterious yet exciting feeling that I can't get enough of. Oftentimes I will lean out of my window when it's raining or dark, or even both, and just smell the air, stare at the trees over the hills in the distance, the forest at the bottom of the hill, the clouds slowly drifting over the village. I can't describe how it makes me feel, the nearest word I can think of is just 'happy'.
I'm definitely an ISFP and I am always afraid to hurt someone's feelings... And I get really anxious in new situations. For example... At the start of a new semester, I get a lot of anxiety going to every single new class. The classroom setting itself isn't different....but I never know who is going to be in the class or how the instructor is going to present the material. It really overwhelms me.

Okay, I've gone off on a serious tangent there. The only other thing that makes me doubt I'm an ISFJ is that I don't fit the SJ profile at all. SJs supposedly like order and structure in things, and are more comfortable with the known, tending to stick to doing things they've always done. This doesn't really sound familiar to me, as I've always strayed away from what my parents taught me to do and done things my own way. I also don't like knowing exactly what's going to happen every day. I know that the idea of J being organized and P being unorganized is a bit iffy in the MBTI world, but I definitely relate more to P if we're going by that. My parents constantly get angry at me for having such a messy room, stuff all over the place and not in its 'proper place' as they describe it. I often put things in places that I'll remember them best, I always put electronic stuff by my bed so I can pick them up whenever I need them. My mum and dad come in practically every day, pick it all up and put it somewhere where it looks neater to them. This drives me crazy, because they just can't understand that I like it there, and I put it there for a reason!
So, can you relate to the ISFP description? I honestly feel like I relate a lot to what you say... I keep common areas as clean as possible in our house, but our bedroom is a disaster zone. My husband is an INTJ, but I'm thinking he must be light on the J because somehow I'm more organized and less messy than him. :shocked:

*giggles* Are you like me and you know exactly where stuff is when the room is a wreck, but clean the room and you can't find a damn thing? :tongue:

Anyway, back on track... It sounds like you have a great appreciation for nature and the senses... Again, I can relate to that. I tested between ISFP and ISTP a lot... I read every description I could on the two and finally decided I related to ISFP the best.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry for stealing your dream :p

[EDIT] My favourite place to be is in a forest far away from any noisy city, while it's somewhat cool, overcast and maybe raining slightly. I love this because it feels so natural and comfortable to be among nature like that. I love the smell of bark and leaves when they're wet, and the feeling of wet grass, the sound of rain bouncing off the leaves. I'm lucky to have a place like this near my house. It can be nice at night too, night time holds a mysterious yet exciting feeling that I can't get enough of. Oftentimes I will lean out of my window when it's raining or dark, or even both, and just smell the air, stare at the trees over the hills in the distance, the forest at the bottom of the hill, the clouds slowly drifting over the village. I can't describe how it makes me feel, the nearest word I can think of is just 'happy'.
I really like your description of favorite place. I can totally relate it to myself, however I would not be able to describe that well. So I am copying it to my notes if you don't mind:)

I am ISFP by the way :) I love nature, cats and little kids. My favorite colors are all natural; blue, green, and brown in order.

Thanks for the post.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts