Personality Cafe banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ISFP writers on the forum?

Was watching this video:

(definitely recommend watching Michael Pierce's videos!)

The narrator mentions how INFPs build vivid, detailed images of their inner worlds with Si (11:00 onwards). This resonated with my writing style, where I tend to focus a lot on vivid sensory details. I describe how environments look, smell, feel, etc. These are the things I find easiest to write about. However, I always attributed this to Se, not Si.

What do you folks think?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I watched that youtube vid, but it felt like it was just repeating itself after a while. I agree with the creative writing stuff you said. I constantly write about what the main character is feeling (sensations). I showed my mum a piece of my writing once (she's INTP) and was like 'this is emotive' and she was like 'but all you've done is describe the physical, not the emotions' and I looked at it and was like 'oh, yeah...'

So yeah. Even when I try and describe the emotions someone is feeling it's more like 'heart in my mouth' and 'twist in my guts' kind of stuff. Sometimes I wonder if I'll ever be able to write emotions like some people do.

But right now I'm happy the way I am. I'll try to finish a book before I try to refine it XD

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Any ISFP writers on the forum?

Was watching this video:

(definitely recommend watching Michael Pierce's videos!)

The narrator mentions how INFPs build vivid, detailed images of their inner worlds with Si (11:00 onwards). This resonated with my writing style, where I tend to focus a lot on vivid sensory details. I describe how environments look, smell, feel, etc. These are the things I find easiest to write about. However, I always attributed this to Se, not Si.

What do you folks think?
Si would describe the impressions that the physical and sensations of the physical would create. Se would describe the things, not how the things made an impression on the person.

That said, anybody who reads a lot will learn how to do this, and would probably be able to emulate this in their own writings. I know when I was younger I was heavily influenced by writers like Richard Henry Dana (Two Years Before the Mast), Taylor Caldwell, Tolkien, etc. who were Si and Ne types. These people had a huge impact on how I wrote.

I think that anybody who reads a lot and a lot of varied writings, will become good with the written word. I was sick a lot in seventh grade (nerves I now know), and read voraciously, but I was a reader all through elementary, high school and college. I know that this informed me my life and my views of all things in a great way.

All that said, if'n when I just let myself go, I will write in a more Se style than anything else. (Hemingway was one of my favorite authors as a teen).

I don't read much these days, but two I've recently read--Jayber Crow and Life of Pi both seem to me to be not so much Si, as Fi-Se. Jayber Crow, the character is, IMO an ISFP (the author is an Fi-dom, and probably INFP).

·
Registered
993 Posts
i find that i really like to write "creatively" but only on my spare time. i don't do it as an hobby or anything.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Judge for yourself, Here's a snippet of something I've written:

I’ll be heading to my older brother’s house later for a little social gathering. It’s his neighbor’s birthday and there’s going to be a respectable crowd there tonight. Experience from previous related fanfares has taught me to expect the night to be full of excess. Of drinking, of storytelling, of silly drinking games, some conjured on whim and some planned. Debauchery in a fashioned modern age term, as far as our midwest subdued culture allows and not even close to the Romans in their fallow base glory.

My brother is mockingly distinguished at these neighborly bonfires. Known and crowned as ‘Scuba Steve’ for having been found one morning passed out in a mud puddle right next to his front door. I haven’t been to my brother’s for awhile now and a few drinks will do me some good. Having been fired a few weeks ago and questioning whatever the hell it is I’m meant for in this existence. I need to learn to chill sometimes and let life happen. Not to force anything, to focus on your blessings, and what you have instead of what you don’t. Maybe it’s high time I learn to scuba dive too.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I actually really suck with the long descriptions of sensory details and personal feelings in my writing, unless I'm writing them down as they happen or as I'm feeling them in the moment, and even then they aren't very florid, like INFP writing, just eloquent and concise. That's why if I'm writing creatively at all, it's usually very rant-like and repetitive.
I've been getting praised as a talented writer by so many of my English teachers/professors since the eighth grade when I first picked it up. I can write great literary analyses and reviews on topics with great enthusiasm, particularly when they personally interest me. I'm not so good with in-depth analysis of my own feelings of the past towards other people, things, and events. I'm much more of a "tell" type of writer than a "show" type of writer. I'm also not that great at coming up with my own 100% original ideas for fictional stories. I need to have a specific topic for me is spelled out by someone else, or a basis to fall back on for fictional writing (fanfiction)

·
Registered
151 Posts
I don't write full-on stories very often, but I did do one I'm actually really happy with for my English folio this year, that hasn't happened in a while. Yeah, I do tend to describe physical things, in that one I did a lot of describing of how the three main characters looked, and what their surroundings were like. Probably took up most of the story, actually xD

This is maybe a quarter to a third of the story, most of it is just description of this beast that lives in the big cave. I made up their world as well

The thing landed in front of the gathering of reptilian beasts and their four-eyed, dog-like scout. It was truly a sight to behold; everything about it was big. It was the colour of the desert sand with wings like dried mud, and it had off-black markings that looked almost like tattoos or body paint. Maybe they were.
The creature looked on at them with its three cyan eyes- two in the usual place eyes would be, and a slightly larger one in the middle of the forehead. It seemed almost feline, but its face was too thin and angular, its eyes had very thin irises and very visible sclerae and its ears were much, much too long and pointed. It had hands, too- hands with four fingers and a thumb. Had it used those hands to create the shining crown of gems it was wearing? Even the facial markings were too unnatural to be a cat’s; it had a stripe down its nose and under each eye, and five lines above its third eye, like eyelashes. Not that Void had any, of course. Hevnoraak did though, being the mammal that he was, and the creature before them seemed especially interested in the blue dog… It stared at him with caution and curiosity, the three narrowed eyes following him wherever he moved. “H-hello?” Void called out gingerly. H-hello? the cavern answered back from all around. The slightest noise made in the giant glowing hole would reverberate through the entirety of it, so it sounded like there were a hundred Voids all over the cavern calling out their frightened greeting.

·
Registered
A Constant Riddle
171 Posts
I'm not sure if I am an INFP or ISFP, I feel a fissure between both of them. As if both carry little glimmers of who I am but I still feel tugged by both of them. My words are very florid, very long-winded, very descriptive, like fires from my heart that could shimmer forever. Since childhood, they have always been very infused with detail, which I have begun to chalk up to Se, even though they could possibly illuminate Si. I'm just going to pour my mind into words and hopefully, it will resurrect this thread-I really hope to understand how my MBTI mirrors my writing and how the functions orchestrate the way my words flow-I find the concept so very fascinating :) (I apologize, it is extremely haphazard and raw, but I feel it captures the secret workings of my mind and thought that they could perhaps allude the way I think.

Old autumn came along, skimming her golden fingers against the tender ripples of yesterday and tomorrow. We slept under her dazzling whisper, let her familiar waters soak into our hearts, and felt the tremor of time against us. The shadows of who we were, dissolved into who we could become. The promising slope of October death made me shiver with venomous delight, and yet I felt as light as a summer wind all the while. I longed for the darkness, the dismay, the old cacophony of death, that always made me feel morose and solemn, that inspired in me feelings lovelier than the eye could fashion. But I still heard the pressing, shimmering laughter of childhood bray inside of me, tulip-like kisses of hope, leaving me breathless. So torn between death and life, love and hate. So torn between the enemy and the savior. So hopeless, and yet filled with a sunshine only imaginable in the purest of heavens. So I surrender to the fallen twilight sky, the old purple cauldron of darkness above me, the lurid gasps of thunder shrieking from above, and let myself fall prey to the same nightmare.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So I see this is an old post, but as I’m trying to pick back up on writing stories I felt like describing my experience so far. My writing tends to cut out the sensory for the most part - it’s more about the characters thoughts and, when relevant, what they’re doing. I try to push the story along, probably way too fast. I have the story idea in my head and I want to get it all out before it vanishes. In life, I’m also this way - I’m so much in my head, I forget to smell the flowers, appreciate the sunsets, and so on. I dislike the lack of beauty in my writing, but don’t want to bother trying to come up with all the little details. 😕

·
Registered
13 Posts
@YearseRayneDon

Thanks for your good questions! Let’s see...I do indeed bounce from brainstorming to going into detail. I try to brainstorm out the main points before beginning to write, but sometimes I run into little spots in the storyline where I didn’t have a clear idea how to connect point A in the story to point B in a way that makes sense and seems believable, so that’s when the brainstorming/detailing comes in.

To answer your second question, I do get a bigger picture and I’ll write out as much as I can while it still holds my attention, but once I step away from it, to rest or do something else, coming back to finish it is something I don’t always succeed at and with time the details fade away (knowing I’ll do this is what makes me rush to get it all out at once). Also, with details (the sensory stuff) my lack of attention to it in life makes describing it in a story a little difficult. I suppose I should take the time to pay more attention.

·
Registered
ISFP
4,382 Posts
@LittleCat
That sounds like my recent experiences. Getting caught up in my details like dealing with an overflow pouring out of some machine.

I’m working on an experimental process designed to help me, “paint” scene by scene. It’s designed to help you flush out all the details and input important text regarding what’s happening in your story. You will have to maintain a measure of discipline to benefit from it.

I’ll share you the details via pm. It’s in a very rough state rn but it certainly helps me.

·
Registered
ISFP, 9w8/4/5 sp/sx, Ravenpuff
863 Posts
@YearseRayneDon I'd be interested in any writing process aids as well. Getting caught up in the details sounds like a description of me free writing. I have spent pages describing a single physical action which isn't necessarily the best. =p

Reactions: ThisNameWorks
1 - 15 of 15 Posts