Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I have recently joined the group and I'm ready to make my mark!

I'd like to start off giving a little background information on myself.

I'm a senior in high school, I have a college to go to next year, and life couldn't get any better. I love to help people. I love children. I love family. You can see that I love many things :). I believe in love and I seek it day in and day out. I'm very introverted. I like to have as much time to myself as possible.

I also have a few issues I have to work on as well...

I love my friend. She's been there for me ever since 9th grade, freshmen year at a new school. She's so loving, caring, generous, loves alternative music, pretty, and just a beautiful girl inside and out. Now, I don't know if this is going to be a problem, but I simply can't think of life without her. No one compares. Now, this is easy to say, because I haven't yet experienced the world yet, but ever since I was a kid, I loved her. For 5 years now, she's been my everything. The funny thing is that she's been with another guy, we've rarely seen each other, and I've made mistakes. She knows that I love her, but she doesn't feel the same way. She thinks we should stay friends and that's all we'll ever be, but I'm longing for so much more. My real issue is that I feel like she's the only one for me. Can someone reach out to me and give me their opinion?

Also, I feel as if people use me and abuse me for my kindness. I'm a very generous person when it comes to helping others. I can give everything away if its knowing that I made a difference in someone else's life. I love helping people, even though I tend to stay away from those I feel I'll have conflict with. Should I be more assertive or stay true to who I am?

Another key issue I'm facing is my college major. I have no idea what I want to be when I grow up. I'm strong in mathematics and I originally planned to go into undecided engineering, but I still don't know. I hope I find what I like at college, but I don't know if I will and I'm not so sure if engineering is the way to go. From a $ standpoint, it is, but I always felt that I should be there for kids. I absolutely adore kids. They're all full of joy and love. I'm a nurturing type at heart. I have five younger brothers and two younger sisters, so you can see why :). So, should I keep going with engineering for a sustainable job or go into teaching or nursing or social work and help people while going into a tough job market?

This is me. My name's Doug and thanks for reading! Comments are more than welcome! Could really use some good input for the road ahead :)

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Doug,

There is no reason you can't be both true to yourself and also stand up for yourself. But, a word of caution, be aware that if you continue to give your all to someone whom doesn't feel similarly, you are only cheating yourself in the end. It's easy to continue being there, waiting and waiting for a change of heart that most likely will not come. It's harder still to break yourself of using her as a crutch for your own loneliness.

Give it a year or so as an undecided major and try a few different classes at a community college to see what interests you the most.

From experience,

Agony Aunt.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! I guess I just had to hear it from someone else. You're right. It is easy to be there for someone, but if she understands my feelings & doesn't feel like it's in her best interest to do something about it, then I have to move on. It's been tough for me to do that, but I just have to, for myself. It's also easy to use her as a "crutch" and go through life in this manner, but I'll never get anywhere if I keep this up. I'll go undecided and find what I love in college. I need to be stronger & take charge in matters when it comes to being who I am as well. Thank you. This really had me thinking.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts