Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ISFP - Where to live?

What milieus does an ISFP prefer? Where in the world (actual places) would an ISFP want to go to? Describe and list some names.

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
I would love to live in Japan (well obviously it may be a bit hard at the moment) preferably Tokyo.
If not: California, Hawaii, Sydney, Wales, and I don't mind where I live in England.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I would love to live in Japan (well obviously it may be a bit hard at the moment) preferably Tokyo.
If not: California, Hawaii, Sydney, Wales, and I don't mind where I live in England.
lol basically what @firedell said exactly. I've always liked Japan the best, but California or some place in Europe might be nice.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I'll be the odd one out, here. I would never even consider Japan. I love their art and many facets of their culture, but Japan is one of the most structurally rigid places in earth (i.e. the most J place on earth; J for Japan, haha), and I don't think I could handle that. I have three main requirements:

1) Geography. I like alternating forests and natural open grasslands without too much interruption from human development.

2) Cheap living, because I am not going to be spending my life at work.

3) A local culture that doesn't completely conflict with my values.

I used to think I wanted to live in Wyoming, but that place is wayyyy too conservative. So, IDK...Colorado? California? possibly Montana? I may leave the country and even the continent too, but as of right now, I have no idea where I'm going, and I like it just that way.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Why Japan? Have you traveled there before?
Pssh, you don't need to travel there to know how awesome it is.

This pretty much sums it up -

http://tynan.com/japan-is-better-than-the-us

Why does Japan always score better on PISA tests? | Parenting in the Digital Age

Japanese Pay Less for More Health Care : NPR

Why Japan is weird | Attuworld.com

Of course this is just a few of the many awesome things about Japan. Lets not forget other important things like their epicly insane commercials, epic entertainment, and of course epic food.

(Edit) Japan doesn't exactly have a perfect education system, but I still consider it better than America's and there are many things about it that I do actually like, unlike in America.

http://eserver.org/courses/fall95/76-100g/papers/kim/default.html

·
Registered
719 Posts
OMG @TheLuckyOne, Yes!

I very much like the idea of a small rural town. A simple life. Mountains, especially are very appealing to me. I keep thinking North, like Washington state, or Oregon. Maybe Virginia. Colorado is also appealing. So is Alaska and even Canada.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
OMG @TheLuckyOne, Yes!

I very much like the idea of a small rural town. A simple life. Mountains, especially are very appealing to me. I keep thinking North, like Washington state, or Oregon. Maybe Virginia. Colorado is also appealing. So is Alaska and even Canada.
@IndyAnnaJoan

The only thing is, I think it might be a challenge finding a small town with a decent cultural atmosphere. I don't go for the whole "hard working american" thing that they have going. Maybe it's not like that in Oregon and Washington? I have heard awesome things about those states...

I really think I want to experience a different culture, though. Maybe Sweden or Norway? I think I'd be willing to try an oddball country like South Africa or Kyrgyzstan or Argentina, too :)

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
The only problem with small rural towns is that they are boring. Trust me, there is absolutely nothing to do where I live right now. I think I would much rather live in a city (especially in Japan) and simply do a lot of traveling to rural places. I want to see and visit nice rural places, but living there, while it may be peaceful, is actually quite boring.

Reactions: Indigo Aria

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
The only problem with small rural towns is that they are boring. Trust me, there is absolutely nothing to do where I live right now. I think I would much rather live in a city (especially in Japan) and simply do a lot of traveling to rural places. I want to see and visit nice rural places, but living there, while it may be peaceful, is actually quite boring.
I'm already adapted to that :)

50 kids graduated in my class, and I was the loner of the group. Let's just say I know how to keep my mind occupied. My problem with cities is the requirement of money for so many of the activities. I'm thinking Seattle might be an easy and fun experiment if I want to try it, though.

·
Registered
719 Posts
@TheLuckyOne... I'm curious, what sort of cultural atmosphere are you looking for in your ideal? I feel like I've been fortunate to wind up where I live right now. And so, I suppose I occasionally take that for granted as an easy come. There's a growing movement here towards local restaurants and shops, and local organic farming, and an ever growing farmers market. More and more people are walking and bicycling and there's a huge hippie culture here. I do adore it. Agreed on the disdain towards the hard working american ideal.

I used to be very attracted to the idea of moving to another culture entirely. My mother's from Korea, and I had always considered moving back. Thailand and India are two others that strongly attracted me.

I hope I'm fortunate enough to visit many of these places one day.

·
Registered
719 Posts
IDK, I find the idea of needing external stimuli to avoid being bored... so... aggravating is really the only word I can come up with. No offense. It's just one of my pet peeves. I don't mind simple. I'm quite fond of it. I don't mind distance from large society either. As addicted as I am to the internet, I sometimes wish my roommate would just have it cut off. I don't want to care about what everyone else is up to, or into, or what's hip and cool, or new and in.

I've lived in big and small towns, and though the big cities may have lots of lights and people, and movies and shows, and such... the slower pace attracts me more. It's more real to me.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Sydney!? It's too big and smelly for me. Too much concrete. I only ever go there if I have to! I love Adelaide and Melbourne. Restaurant and cafe districts, easy to get around, nice culture, nice buildings, etc, etc, etc. Adelaide is smaller, with the hills only 20 minutes to the east, when you want to get out of town, Melbourne is much larger. Both have a bit of a European culture to them.

I would like to live in the Schwarzwald (Black Forest) in south west Germany, or Salzburg, with the mountains so close. If I have to live in a city, then it had better be a small one, or have a heck of a lot of parklands. I need nature to be accessible, otherwise I start feeling hemmed in.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
@IndyAnnaJoan

I'm basically looking for the type of place you described. I don't look like a hippie or listen to hippie music, but I really dig hippies, lol. And I agree about needing too much stimulus to stay entertained. I think it's all in how people are raised though. I was an only child with two working parents, so I basically had to learn to entertain myself, and it's worked quite well. And I thinks it's really forced me to look deeper into what happiness actually is, and...well, a whole lot of other stuff. Sometimes I think I wish I had more things to do, but I've come to really love my slow, peaceful life.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I don't want to care about what everyone else is up to, or into, or what's hip and cool, or new and in.
Well sorry to break it to you but this sort of thing is actually potentially worse in smaller towns because everyone knows everyone. And you don't have to be materialistic to live in a city. You can do basically nothing and live in the city as well (I have lived in the city.) I simply prefer it because when I do want to do something the options are there, and there is always something entertaining to do when you want to do it and plenty of new things to try.

Living in a city isn't going to make you care what everyone else is doing any more than living in a rural area.

Reactions: Indigo Aria

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Well sorry to break it to you but this sort of thing is actually potentially worse in smaller towns because everyone knows everyone. And you don't have to be materialistic to live in a city. You can do basically nothing and live in the city as well (I have lived in the city.) I simply prefer it because when I do want to do something the options are there, and there is always something entertaining to do when you want to do it and plenty of new things to try.

Living in a city isn't going to make you care what everyone else is doing any more than living in a rural area.
I LOL'd at your first line. I'm more of a "alone out in the woods" type than a small town type (unless I found a hippie town somewhere).

your post reminded me of this song. My friend plays country music all the time, and this song always reminds me of everything I hate about my small town.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I LOL'd at your first line. I'm more of a "alone out in the woods" type than a small town type (unless I found a hippie town somewhere).

your post reminded me of this song. My friend plays country music all the time, and this song always reminds me of everything I hate about my small town.

Sorry, but the computer I'm on won't let me see videos.... my laptop crashed the other day, so im on a fairly old computer.

As for living alone in the woods - I hear that can get lonely. I'm not trying to crush your spirit or anything, but I don't think you can really realize how lonely it is out there until you are actually out there for a while. I've read a few poems about it...

·
Registered
719 Posts

Sorry, I should have clarified. I meant in terms of what's popular in society and culture. Like the hipster scene and being up to date on what's cool to listen to, or what the newest cool bar to go to is. Name brands and what's hot to wear. That sort of thing.

And I know you're going to say, that trends travel. They certainly do. But I feel as though you see it on a smaller scale. Most people otherwise, just do what they do, wear what they wear. Etc.

I think I'm somewhat into the idea of just being cut off.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts