Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've typed myself for a while as an ISFP, and I'm 99.9% sure of being Fi-dom. I believe I use much more Se than Ne, leading me to believe I'm an ISFP rather than an INFP. The ISFP typing fits. However, I find myself displaying a lot of tert-Si traits, especially when stressed. I see some tert-Ni in me, but definitely more tert-Si. I'm a very nostalgic person. I tend to need comforting things of my childhood when I'm stressed or upset. That results in a lot of watching children's movies and reading children's books, coloring, looking at old photos, eating my favorite meals from when I was younger, etc. A lot of my friends have said they think of me as rather childlike because of these things. I tend to set a rhythm/routine for myself, but I think it's more Si-based than Te-based in that it's just based on what I usually do and makes sense than what is necessarily most efficient. I have a tendency to dwell on negative memories, especially the embarrassing ones. I can recall so many embarrassing (yet objectively insignificant) things I've done 8+ years ago (and I'm only 19) and still feel very strongly about them and remember how I felt and every little thing about it.

This would potentially make me type myself as an INFP, but I don't really think I use Ne much. It's a silly reason, but I'm terrible at coming up with ideas on my own. I'm an artist and can only create from a photo, whereas most Ne users could come up with some creative thing to draw/paint. I'm bad at brainstorming. I'm not sure how much of this is out of insecurity and how much is out of a complete lack of being able to use Ne. I use Se much more, with being able to live in the moment easily. I'm very aware of my surroundings and notice everything. I love exploring, adventures, having new experiences, etc. I'm a very visual person. I learn visually. I love aesthetics. Surrounding myself in a beautiful, visually-pleasing environment is pretty crucial to my personal success.

I recognize that some of this is normal for any type and we all can use each function sometimes, but when does use of a function become frequent enough to justify a different typing? Would typing myself as an INFP in an Fi-Si loop just be a cop-out?

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
If using Si is typical of you, there is no point in trying to justify it having power over Ne based on loop theory. If you can't relate to aux. Ne potential-of-the-object -seeking nature it likely isn't your type.

Based on what you describe, ISFP seems like a fine type for you -- on surface level, at least. It makes the most sense, if you identify to Fi and sensation. Hope this is any help, and do let me know if you have additional thoughts to this.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
You don't necessarily exclusively use the 4 functions to your type but instead they are suggested that they will be the functions which seem most natural to you. I think when it comes to typing by function it's the first two functions that are most important and then the tertiary.

When people are stressed they can act 'out of character' to their type and will lend themselves to functions that are either inferior or not in their stack.

We use all the functions really but the 4 stack is your primary decision making functions when you are at your healthiest.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
I don't think that what you are describing is Si, per se... It's more Fi reaching back into memories for comfort. That's feelings, not nostalgia, which isn't, btw, Si.

If my wife is anything to go by, her database of impressions tends to be use more for protection against negatives in the future. It's hard to explain, but her Si is like the opposite of nostalgia.

But Fi _is_ about the feelings, and ISFPs can be the sort to hang on to things. I know that I have things my kids made me when they were young still hanging on my cork board above my desk. I can't bring myself to throw them away, not because the items matter, but because of how they make me feel when I look at them. I'm actually not very good at remembering things--and tokens like this help give me a link to the past. It's weird, but without them, the memories--especially of how I felt when my kids were that age, and made those things--would be gone forever, never to be remembered. That is decidedly _not_ Si. :)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Nowhere in the theory it really states that you cannot have/use Si if you're ISFP.. I'd say it would be a very awkward conclusion if you say you use Se and Si quite a bit but type yourself as an N. By the way, I have to tell you that the so-called "loop theory" is a complete nonsense (or fundamentally misunderstood at best), so try to stay away from it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Si is also present in the ISFP but not prefered like in the INFP. INFPs prefer their subjective interpretation of reality over actual reality. For ISFPs it is the other way around. Si can be considered the critical parent function for the ISFP and may appear when stressed. For INFP this function is Ni. It is not valued but usually very strong.

This video talks about the critical parent function, but not in ISFPs

Ne is not necessarily creative in that it comes up with ideas on it's own. That's actually more an Ni thing imo. Ne prefers to focus it's attention on the connections and the possible outcomes of a situation. They don't perceive the situation as it is but as more part of a bigger picture.
Ne is still focused on the outside world and not on subjective impressions of the outside world like Ni and Si.

I sometimes find myself in this contemplative Ni mode. But I have no personal preference for it because it doesn't add anything to my prefered way of perceiving and judging which is Fi and Ne.

·
Banned
898 Posts
I wonder if it could partly be your age? Because I remember when I was about your age I felt unready for the adult label after all the difficult teen stuff I'd been through... I would console myself by playing my favorite computer game from when I was little, and I would watch Spongebob Squarepants episodes and I was really happy about seeing the movie when it came out. I've even heard psychologists say that's a typical part of being that age. I do use si but I've never been through anything else quite like that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts