Personality Cafe banner

ISFP with ISFP?

354 Views 13 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  FaeSoleil
Would a relationship between two ISFPs work? Why or why not?
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
It could work, a relationship between two similar types is like having a twin who understood you completely. But at the same time, both would share similar weaknesses, no?
It would probably be more of a friendship/partnership
Same types probably good for validation but doesn’t promote psychological development, which a halfway healthy person will be subconsciously wanting, so I see it being frustrating in the long run.
I am reminded of a podcast where a panel of people far more knowledgeable about the subject than I, were discussing type. One of the topics was a compare and contrast between types using Fi vs Fe in their stacking order. The two types that use Fi unanimously agreed that one way of knowing someone uses Fi is they have very strong likes and dislikes, and may not be shy about letting others know.

With that said, would someone using Fi especially as their dominant function have even stronger likes and dislikes that could be deal breakers as far as relationships go? As a Ti dominant type, I don't think I would get along necessarily well with another ISTP type if our guiding principles were in conflict. Typology is about how we cognitively process things. Our principles and values are in part based on upbringing and culture. Just a thought.
Good point, maybe too much unwillingness to compromise by both parties.
I am reminded of a podcast where a panel of people far more knowledgeable about the subject than I, were discussing type. One of the topics was a compare and contrast between types using Fi vs Fe in their stacking order. The two types that use Fi unanimously agreed that one way of knowing someone uses Fi is they have very strong likes and dislikes, and may not be shy about letting others know.

With that said, would someone using Fi especially as their dominant function have even stronger likes and dislikes that could be deal breakers as far as relationships go? As a Ti dominant type, I don't think I would get along necessarily well with another ISTP type if our guiding principles were in conflict. Typology is about how we cognitively process things. Our principles and values are in part based on upbringing and culture. Just a thought.
You know when onlookers refer to you as "a chip off the old block" or "two peas in a pod", when it comes to that parent that you seem to always be at odds with? We have a blind spot unless pointed out by someone and even then, we may not agree in the similarities. I could see two people with the same cognitive functions repulsing one another because they are too much alike.

But to answer the OPs question, using type as a barometer to me would be no different than using astrology. Two ISTP types may respect each other's need for space, and other traits of the ISTP type. But at the same time one may have an underdeveloped Se that leads to them finding a need to explore other relationships while the other believes in monogamy. It may be something that cannot be easily dismissed.
Good point, maybe too much unwillingness to compromise by both parties.
If they at least have different Enneagrams it would be somewhat workable. ISFP 4 and ISFP 9 -- could last a little while maybe
You may be on to something. I probably would be more in favor of being in a relationship with another 5 because those core needs and fears don't change, as long as both are relatively healthy and not disintegrating or integrating to 7 or 8. We would get one another.

There's just too many variables that could make two people of the same type different. One may have a high use of Fi, where the other has a more developed Te, and the same would go for the Se-Ni axis. This is what makes the number of types in typology legion, and exceed just 16-types..
If they at least have different Enneagrams it would be somewhat workable. ISFP 4 and ISFP 9 -- could last a little while maybe
Reactions: Three2VanGogh
Well other things could matter more maybe. Like I wouldn't pair up with anyone who is Christian or Muslim.
Sorry, this was just honesty. No ill intentions.
Well other things could matter more maybe. Like I wouldn't pair up with anyone who is Christian or Muslim.
Unlikely to happen but might be cool.
Reactions: lilacleia16
My whole family is ISFPs and we get along great! I don’t know if it translates to romance though…not that kind of kinky. Actually I’m not kinky at all. Kinks are for people that stopped being awed by it. I’m still very much in awe.
I'm personally surprised people have such an aversion to dating someone similar to them - enough to say that it "doesn't work".
Reactions: lilacleia16
1 - 14 of 14 Posts