Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
THE IRON GIANT
10,129 Posts
So I'm 19 and have been depressed for about two years now. I'm very much an ISFP and was wondering if depression is more common among us.

Discuss.
I'm not a doctor so cannot talk about clinical depression, but I would think any Fi dom might be pretty susceptible to depression in the more commonly used sense for a number of reasons. Young Fi users in particular can find their personal values so closely attached to their value as a person that anything they encounter that conflicts with their values can be felt as an insult or even a physical attack. It can take a lot of time and experience and focus to grow past that and be able to feel stronger in the face of such things.

I wish you the best of luck with this.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I was depressed for one year when I was 16. I wouldn't say I fell into that easily. My first breakup was very sudden and traumatic. We are sensitive, so anything that could deal a heavy blow to our feelings can put us into depression. It doesn't heal easily either. I had someone who helped me go through all of that mess. I do not know about you. Does your family know about this?

·
Registered
751 Posts
I have not been clinically diagnosed with depression, but of course I know depression. Like most ISFPs, it usually comes upon me suddenly and intensely, and then disappears just as quickly. The months after I got rejected from the girl I desperately fancied at school was probably the longest period of depression I've had, which would just come back and intensify regularly as I would see her in school each day. Yet that was my last year of school and I was forced to be productive, and I consider myself lucky to have done well enough to do what I'm doing now.

Instinctually I don't think clinical depression is any more common with ISFPs than it is with other types. Just because we wear our hearts closer to our sleeves doesn't mean it's any easier to actually, severely traumatise us any more than some cold-as-ice T.

Heh, Ice-T.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Every ISFP I've known close enough has told me they've had a rough history of psychological problems, or I've seen so myself. I'm not sure what causes this...
As @Wendixy said:
We are sensitive, so anything that could deal a heavy blow to our feelings can put us into depression.
jackeyjoe- I just turned 19, I was 17 when I was admitted and had my 18th birthday there
Hrm... same age as me then, I'm curious, did anything big set off this depression? Or was it a gradual thing? I feel like I'm falling into gradual depression... if it wasn't for the internet I'd probably be in the same position you were a year or two ago, just talking to other people in a stress free environment that the internet provides is so helpful.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I'm pretty sure I have mild depression. I've yet to get it officially diagnosed though.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Generally not depressive. It comes and goes really fast though. It's really intense to. I usually don't really know why i feel that way. Maybe it is my unorganized thoughts and feelings. I always seem to feel better when i write stuff down and organize my thoughts and living space(I.e tidy up ect)

another thing that i find often snaps me out of it quickly is to find a good mantra, and make it inspire you. Today mine was "Hardwork is the key to my happiness! work hard, play hard!!"
:D

but of course it is the most subjective thing ever.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I have had mild depression that seems to sometimes accompany a bad cold or flu. I get upset with myself and start to analyze my depression during this time. I realize that feeling blue because of an upper respiratory virus is stupid and I force myself out of it. I believe this to be a chemical thing.

I have felt full on depressed at other times, but again it's the same thing. I analyze why I am depressed and begin to question my motives. I begin to question if I really need to feel as worthless/useless as I do. If other people's dislike or hatred for me is causing the depression, I make myself feel stronger and basically say "fuck them".

I can feel very sad, grief stricken, or bad without being depressed. For me, there is a big difference. Still, there have been few times when I know the depression just has to run it's course.

The one time I was extremely low was when I was battling an anxiety attack. It was just all these obsessive thoughts over and over again. Nearly paralyzingly fear. I welcomed going to work just to get my mind busy on something else. It lasted 2 weeks and I lost 15 lbs, slept no more than 8 hours a night straight, and looked like shit. It was all for nothing because everything turned out ok. My anxiety was irrational, but telling my psyche that at the time did no good. That has never happened to me again.

I am prone to melancholy but again, that to me is different than depression.

I hope you shake your depression soon.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Diagnosed with general anxiety disorder & seasonal affective disorder (depression for half the year)
Medication doesn't help me one bit personally
I've tried everything
Therapy is all that helps
I can't say I know how you feel, but I empathise with you :)
You're not alone

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
I had a short relationship with this hot ISFP chick, she was also depressed, but that is mostly cuz she wouldn't take the time to study and complete her objectives

After I helped her understand school is mostly about effort, not brains, she got better

·
Registered
40 Posts
Am I the only one here that have never been depressed nor had anything close to it?
Actually, about two years ago, my parents were desperate because they thought I had some kind of psychological disorder and took me to a psychiatrist, but he said I had nothing and was perfectly normal, ahahaha.

But well *not good at trying to motivate depressed people so just sits there watching everyone*

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.