Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ISFPs, what are your favourite books? I can't seem to find a book that I really like. I don't like novels with a plot....a type of book that I would like would maybe be a book which describes internal thoughts and emotions of a person, not so much the events. And which has a good message and is inspiring. Also, a lot of books are not deep enough for me, or emotional enough for me. I also don't like too much T philosophizing in a book. So....any suggestions?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Merry-go-round in the Sea by Randolph Stow. Very plotless imho. Although, I really hated it because it was so plotless, LOL.

·
Registered
227 Posts
oh my god i love books. i could talk for hours. when you say 'deep' what are you looking for? That takes on a lot of different meanings for different people.

If you're in to pretty language, interesting scenes, and more 'F' philosophizing, you might like something by annie dillard. Maybe The Maytrees is a good place to start? Or, perhaps an essay from The Pilgrim at Tinker Creek. (I'd reccomend the eponymous essay from A Pilgrim, but The Maytrees is *without a doubt* my favorite book of all time, and I would seriously reccomend you start there.)

Perhaps an Alice Munro short story might also suit your fancy? Her characters are dense and well-developed. Passion is a great one, and it's available on the New Yorker website. :)

I also love Joyce. It'll get your Ni running.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I generally hate reading, but I have read through a couple of books that have interested me. Those books would fit into the genre of novels and biographies.

:happy:

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
ISFPs, what are your favourite books? I can't seem to find a book that I really like. I don't like novels with a plot....a type of book that I would like would maybe be a book which describes internal thoughts and emotions of a person, not so much the events. And which has a good message and is inspiring. Also, a lot of books are not deep enough for me, or emotional enough for me. I also don't like too much T philosophizing in a book. So....any suggestions?
Have you looked into any Poetry books? Either by a specific author or collections?
I think a book of Poetry would meet these needs: no plot really, describes internal thoughts and emotions, could have a good message and inspiring depending on what you read. I would recommend Henry David Thoreau, D.H. Lawrence, D.A. Powell, and of course there are others but I like these poets especially.

The Bride
by: D. H. Lawrence (1885-1930)

MY love looks like a girl to-night,
But she is old.
The plaits that lie along her pillow
Are not gold,
But threaded with filigree,
And uncanny cold.

She looks like a young maiden, since her brow
Is smooth and fair,
Her cheeks are very smooth, her eyes are closed,
She sleeps a rare
Still winsome sleep, so still, and so composed.

Nay, but she sleeps like a bride, and dreams her dreams
Of perfect things.
She lies at last, the darling, in the shape of her dream,
And her dead mouth sings
By its shape, like the thrushes in clear evenings.

I am the autumnal sun by Henry David Thoreau

Sometimes a mortal feels in himself Nature
-- not his Father but his Mother stirs
within him, and he becomes immortal with her
immortality. From time to time she claims
kindredship with us, and some globule
from her veins steals up into our own.

I am the autumnal sun,
With autumn gales my race is run;
When will the hazel put forth its flowers,
Or the grape ripen under my bowers?
When will the harvest or the hunter's moon
Turn my midnight into mid-noon?
I am all sere and yellow,
And to my core mellow.
The mast is dropping within my woods,
The winter is lurking within my moods,
And the rustling of the withered leaf
Is the constant music of my grief....

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
The Sorrows of Young Werther by Goethe is a good internal monologue book. It's very deep and not very T at all. Very emotional. However, I'm not so sure it has a "good message."

The Tao of Pooh is one of my favorite books. It's not a novel but it's very internal, inspiring, and has a good message. It's also more like F philosophizing than T philosophizing.

The Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller...maybe. It's pretty internal, emotional and inspiring.

Some of my favorite books are listed above but also include Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte, A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole, The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler, Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh, and various writings of the Fitzgeralds, including The Great Gatsby. I also like many of Agatha Christie's novels. Probably everything I just listed here has way too much of a plot for you though. The only one which has less of a "direction" is Brideshead Revisited which you could just read scene by scene, I think it has a lot to appeal to Fi/Se/Ni, even if you just read it in parts without being concerned about the greater plot. Lots of emotion, humor, and sensory detail.

The Stranger by Albert Camus is a good book that can seem...pointless and deep at the same time, and definitely would appeal to Ni. You have to deciper the "message" for yourself, though.

I majored in literature, so I like books.

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
Have you looked into any Poetry books? Either by a specific author or collections?
I think a book of Poetry would meet these needs: no plot really, describes internal thoughts and emotions, could have a good message and inspiring depending on what you read. I would recommend Henry David Thoreau, D.H. Lawrence, D.A. Powell, and of course there are others but I like these poets especially.

The Bride
by: D. H. Lawrence (1885-1930)

MY love looks like a girl to-night,
But she is old.
The plaits that lie along her pillow
Are not gold,
But threaded with filigree,
And uncanny cold.

She looks like a young maiden, since her brow
Is smooth and fair,
Her cheeks are very smooth, her eyes are closed,
She sleeps a rare
Still winsome sleep, so still, and so composed.

Nay, but she sleeps like a bride, and dreams her dreams
Of perfect things.
She lies at last, the darling, in the shape of her dream,
And her dead mouth sings
By its shape, like the thrushes in clear evenings.

I am the autumnal sun by Henry David Thoreau

Sometimes a mortal feels in himself Nature
-- not his Father but his Mother stirs
within him, and he becomes immortal with her
immortality. From time to time she claims
kindredship with us, and some globule
from her veins steals up into our own.

I am the autumnal sun,
With autumn gales my race is run;
When will the hazel put forth its flowers,
Or the grape ripen under my bowers?
When will the harvest or the hunter's moon
Turn my midnight into mid-noon?
I am all sere and yellow,
And to my core mellow.
The mast is dropping within my woods,
The winter is lurking within my moods,
And the rustling of the withered leaf
Is the constant music of my grief....

Ah very nice. It made me also wonder if the OP had tried reading poetry or short stories by Edgar Allen Poe.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I read "Sorrows of young Werther" and I liked it, but yeah, I agree, the message is not very inspiring :D I liked "The Stranger" and also "The Chairs" by Eugene Ionesco....haven't read Edgar Allen Poe. Thanks for the recommendations :)
Also, what do you think of Oscar Wild?

EDIT: I also liked "The old man and the sea".

·
Banned
3,145 Posts
I really did like Cry to Heaven and Vittorio the Vampire when i was a gothy angsty teenager.

Same as R.A. Salvatore's Drizzt books, to amp up the geek factor o-o.

Reactions: Stephen

·
Registered
751 Posts
Also, what do you think of Oscar Wild?
I absolutely love Wilde's "The Picture of Dorian Gray". Easily the best book I've read in recent years. Romantic, witty, full of insight, creepy, and with really engaging characters and style. I think the whole hedonism argument running through it is something ISFPs can really relate to as well.

·
Registered
74 Posts
i just started it myself, but "What Dreams May Come" sounds like it's about right for what the OP is looking for. It takes place almost entirely in the protagonist's mind. If you've seen the movie don't be thrown off, it's two totally different animals. It's also pretty intense, not in a negative way, but emotionally, so if you're like me, you may have to take breaks, as the lovely person who recommended it to me said, and she was right.

I also agree with whoever mentioned poetry. I'm biased toward the Romantic Poets (esp Keats, he is great for sensory imagery), but whatever is up your alley.

·
Registered
25 Posts
You guys are gonna LOVE these books:

Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy
Love in the Time of Cholera - Gabriel Marquez

I had to read both books for English, because the other options were so boring. Love in the time of Cholera is a masterpiece in my opinion. I don't really care much about what is happening in the book, even though the storyline is quite good...but the way this guy describes the events and just minute details about what is being played by the characters is amazing,...makes you feel like you know exactly what he is seeing or feeling...I mean, if you have a good imagination....:0)

·
Registered
142 Posts
I like some Christina Rossetti poems, and The Memoirs of Madame Vigee Le Brun. I think it might be too sad for other people though. I consider Christina Rosetti a genius for some of her poetry, and I like the memoirs because it's inspiring how devoted Vigee was to painting starting from such a young age and in spite of a torn country. Those are my favorite books. I haven't read fiction in a really long time. I also really like the author Umberto Eco, but I haven't read any of his fiction. He studies and writes fiction about the medieval age.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I don't know if this is what the OP is looking for, but it's worth a good try. The book "Tanglewreck" by Jeanette Winterson might be something along the lines of it. ^^

·
Registered
365 Posts
I really loved John Fowles book "The French Lieutenants Woman." I love the way he crafts his descriptions; I love the way he inserts himself, as the narrator, into the story, and how his characters don't always do what he wants them to; I love how he presents the endings...

I read it for "Approaches to Literature" at uni several years ago, and when I find where I put it, it's going back into my reading queue. (After: "The Sacredness of Questioning Everything," and "Dune")

·
Spotlight March 2016
8,193 Posts
Dostoevsky is good for this. Dickens. Hm, Jane Eyre was something I enjoyed, but I recall there being lots of emotions and thoughts, and definite good, inspiring messages. Frankenstein, to a certain degree, especially when put into the position of the 'monster'.

Yup. I recommend 'Jane Eyre' for you, lady. I think it was by Charlotte Bronte, but I could be wrong. One of the Bronte's anyway. I think. I forget. But, it was something you'd like.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts