Personality Cafe banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm an INFP, and I've been dating a guy who I'm pretty sure is ISFP for about a month. I'm looking for some good ideas for how to make him happy. Here's a brief description of his personality:

Fun, intelligent, with a sarcastic sense of humor. Loves to read long, richly detailed, literary fiction (SF, magical realism especially). Loves art, animals, being out in nature, food, massages. Needs a lot of "alone time." Doesn't like to plan things in advance. Free spirit. Very physically affectionate but not as much verbally. Considerate, patient, sweet. No drama. Though artistic, he has a technical side as well and knows computers. Practical, yet a dreamer. Overall he seems very balanced.

We're very similar in terms of interests and outlook on life, but the main difference is that I talk more about my feelings and relationships between people and ideas. My Ne makes me prone to overthinking and anxiety about the conclusions I reach. My empathy with others causes me to become more like them in their presence. In the presence of my ISFP I feel very relaxed and happy. I love the fact that he's drama-free after years of dating tortured NFs and NTs. I don't want to overwhelm his peaceful introversion with NF luuurve, but I do want to show my appreciation and deepen our connection at a pace he feels comfortable with. Generally, as an NF, I'm inclined to try to do this by talking about feelings and such, but he doesn't seem naturally inclined to that.

I give him massages a lot, and show physical affection, and thank him for the things he does. I turn on my air conditioning for him at my house, because he runs hot. I send him links to stuff I think he'll find amusing and make him laugh at work. It's hard for me sometimes to get out of my head and attend to physical and practical comforts, but when I do, I really enjoy it. How can I do it more?

I get the impression he might be overwhelmed by too much time together; he's quite introverted (so am I, but I'm almost a 50/50 I/E). I don't want to rush him or anything. I think he's awesome, and I want to make him happy. Please give me your best suggestions!

·
Banned
3,145 Posts
Yeah, it's a good idea that you're not 'overwhelming' him with too much 'NF luurrrve' ;)(though I'm not sure how that's possible lol)....can't say for him but when things get too heavy, too soon for me, I just freak out and run the other way. I might even really like the person, but when I get the feeling that that person starts to 'depend' on me emotionally before I'm ready for it (whenever that is), I start feeling suffocated and just disappear into thin air.

Reading your post I really don't see what the problem is...I mean, we ISFPs are a drama-free (as you said) and a rather low-maintenance bunch, and I think you know this and are handling him accordingly. Could you give him more space without feeling like you are being neglected yourself?

Reactions: letsride
1 - 2 of 2 Posts