Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this question on reddit and it got surprisingly alot of attention. Please chime in if you think this resonates

·
Registered
752 Posts
my brother is an isfp and my mom is an infp, and in our house the subtitles are turned on for movies/ dvds because the infp and the isfp won't shut up for the esfp and me to hear it.

i'm not even joking.

Reactions: The red spirit

·
Registered
311 Posts
I turn subtitles on because sometimes the spoken language isn't clear and I don't like to guess or rewind. I enjoy the clarity that subtitles bring.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I only use subtitles if I'm trying to really get something from the show or movie, to take a closer look. I don't turn them on if I'm watching Twilight Zone at 3 am, but I will if I'm watching a doc about the food industry or whatever.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Haha I put the subtitles on Netflix and on films I watch. Just to know what's going on.

Reactions: weichern

·
Registered
15,688 Posts
I always watch movies and shows with subtitles if given the option - my partner does the same neither of us are isfps

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
I turn subtitles on because sometimes the spoken language isn't clear and I don't like to guess or rewind. I enjoy the clarity that subtitles bring.
This pretty much.
I don't want to miss anything.

·
Registered
752 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
I sometimes miss/forget parts of the speech or plot without the subtitles, especially in video games. I always turn the subs on in video games but not so much on the TV q:

·
Registered
ISFP 9w8
191 Posts
If the series is not in my mother toungue I prefer to watch the original version beacuse I like to hear the voices of the actors and I put the subtitles because I must understand perfectly and clearly what they say :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
If the series is not in my mother toungue I prefer to watch the original version beacuse I like to hear the voices of the actors and I put the subtitles because I must understand perfectly and clearly what they say :)
This too. I saw a few subbed movies in the cinema at a film festival and I enjoyed them just as much as I would have if they were in English without subs, and I don't think they would have worked so well if they'd all been dubbed over in English. I also recently watched some clips of dubbed Rick And Morty... that was a trip. wabba-rabba-dab-daab

·
Banned
50 Posts
Uhm, I guess it started off as repeatedly frustration of not catching certain parts of the the actors words.

This was idk 8 years ago I started doing it maybe.

Now of late I find myself with a new perspective, maybe we do it, because everything matters to us and a word missed or misunderstood can change the whole meaning (and thus the feeling).

Just my thoughts any way.

·
Registered
752 Posts
we also watch lots of anime in our house, and at least in the 90s most english dubs sucked!

·
Banned
544 Posts
Partly because of my mind's tendency to wander, partly because some characters don't speak loud enough, and partly because I don't feel like stopping and going back every time I miss some potentially important dialog.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I'm not ISFP and I always watch things with subtitles, other people (XNTJ's) get annoyed but I like it because it's a different way of seeing the information. Actually I think you can watch someone saying something and reading the same thing that they said but they each have a very different vibe or feel to it. One is more personalised by the person saying it, the other is more personalised by you reading it.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Also not an ISFP, but I always use subtitles as well. Like the previous poster, I derive more depth by reading it and hearing it. My ears are also very sensitive, so I usually watch movies with the volume pretty low in case there is going to be a loud action scene or something, so subtitles help.

But also if you're watching with someone else, you can make comments and jokes and not miss any dialogue.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts