Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One thing I don't get is how people assume that ISFP's can't like Philosophy, ideas, and concepts. I used to think I was an INFP, but I think I might really be an ISFP for these reasons:

• Descriptive writing style.
  • Good athestic appreciation.
  • Can be bad at looking the Bigger Picture.
  • Hands-on learning style (or at least that's what I think it is.)
  • Likes moving around a lot. Gets restless when forced to sit for a long time.
  • Doesn't like using generalities.
  • Is affected by physical surroundings.
  • More perfectionist than idealistic.
  • More present-oriented than future oriented.
  • Well developed five senses, especially smelling.
  • In tune with body.
  • Acts directly, and doesn't care to really speculate about various options.
  • Good observer.
  • Doodles for no particular reason.
  • My initial gut reaction when looking at a picture is to observe the colors, shades, and texture rather than searching for its possible hidden meaning.
  • Places a lot of value on how a object looks, and not how it functions.
  • Pays attention to style.
  • Might be reluctant to throw away something or erase hand writing simply because it looks appealing.
  • Although I am by no means adept at playing the piano, I might simply listen to a song because it sounds good, and not pay attention to the lyrics.
  • Enjoys physical affection with people I know well.

Honestly, do my interests have to correlate to my type? Really---it's not like my type defines my personality, right?

Reactions: PixelBrain

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
Honestly, do my interests have to correlate to my type?
No...

Really---it's not like my type defines my personality, right?
Right...exactly. It doesn't define all that you are. I wish some other people would get that :dry:

Reactions: vel

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Me too. In fact, here is a bad Sensor description.

S
The Sensor gets his information from external events; tends to be practical, base his decisions on experience, is down to earth, and notices details.[?!] An S prefers specific answers to specific questions, would rather DO something rather than think about it,[I don't know...I peg myself as a Thinker---or Feeler, to be more precise. ;D] likes to concentrate on the task at hand, likes tasks with tangible results,[Not really. xD] prefers facts to theories,[Seriously?] thinks 'fantasy' is a dirty word,[WHAT?!] prefers clear/complete plans to vague guidelines, are very literal in use of words, very much a 'show me' person.[O.O] An S may resist taking this test and quickly get bored with it because it is not practical and doesn't have an immediate application.[Yeah right. -_-] S will take a long time to take this test, reading every question carefully.[That's the only part that rings true for me.]
About 75% of the population are type S

This doesn't even sound like a proper Sensor description. It sounds more like a stereotypical ESTJ description. You know what? I'm going to take the Keirsey sorter. If I get NF, I'll go back to being an INFP. If I get SP, I will stay an ISFP.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I have some ISFPs tendences because I'm physical and love art. But for example, I don't like aesthetic as the definition of something equilibrated and perfect. To me art is art because it does something to you, makes you feel good, or something. But I love style and pop music, so that makes me VERY ISFP.
And yeah, I'm very physical, yeah...

·
Registered
751 Posts
I was actually thinking about philosophy and ISFPs (well, Fi dominants, so INFPs too) today. I think an ISFP would be completely capable in an Ethics class because we'd have the ability to pull from our deeply rooted feelings and apply them in an academic setting without being judged for them (a little healthy challenging from the students/professor would be good for us). I know you didn't ask about philosophy specifically in your post, but I wanted to mention this nonetheless!

To answer the question you did ask, I'd say within one type interests will vary widely. ISFPs are supposed to be athletic and I'm not interested in sports or competition. I don't have a hands on learning style, but I relate to most of your bullets. For type identification, it ultimately comes down to function order and not interests. Check out Se and Ne and see which one you think you use more.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts