Personality Cafe banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I just had my friend take the enneagram test. He came out with 3w2, 7w8, 8w7, I believe. He's also an ISTJ. I was curious to see how the 3 makes itself visible in people in general, and then specifically in ISTJs.

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I was curious to see how the 3 makes itself visible in people in general, and then specifically in ISTJs.
Right, I'll give this a try.

As far as I know I'm the only person in the ISTJ forum who identifies as a type 3. Unfortunately I'm not that well-versed in the Enneagram theory. I can't readily distinguish which side of my personality comes from me being an ISTJ, or 3w2-9w1-5w6, or sp/sx... you get the idea. Read on at your own discretion.

The usual work-related perfectionism and ambition towards (over)achievement is all there. I'm happiest when I'm busy and moody when I'm not. I tend to have several work projects going on at any given time. I believe that the world is up for grabs to those who are talented and industrious - in other words, you make your own destiny.

Nothing unusual here for an ISTJ, except I also have a tendency to enjoy procrastinating until right before a deadline; while my work has to be perfect, I don't have to be. ;)

Compared to ISTJs of other Enneagram types I think I outwardly come across as more diplomatic. Paying attention to my choice of words and how I say them comes like second nature to me.

I also see myself as being people-oriented. I really do like most people that I come across and most of them seem to like me (once we begin talking and they realize I'm more engaging than I look, that is.) I'm curious about the lives other people lead and the opinions they hold. It's easy for me to spot admirable qualities in pretty much anyone which I then strive to incorporate as my own.

I'm still an introvert though, which means I go through periodic shifts of being sociable and being withdrawn. It's also not the easiest thing in the world for me to walk up to a stranger. While conversing isn't difficult at all, initiating is.

I'm somewhat ambivalent towards rules and regulations. While I believe they should generally be upheld, I don't feel moral outrage in the instances where they aren't. I find myself sympathizing with politicians in their less-than-honourable moves to maintain power. I've sometimes felt that rules act as an obstacle in the way towards efficiency and/or results.

I have a deeply ingrained live-and-let-live attitude. I'm rarely fazed by any differences between myself and another individual. I've found myself viewing moral standards as something essentially subjective and relative.

I'm enthusiastic about my personal projects and generally optimistic about my own future. I have an idealistic view of the world and the people in it. I believe most people are essentially 'good.'

If you have any more specific questions I'd be happy to answer them.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
My sister may be a 3. She for sure is an ISTJ. Tell me, does anyone see 3s as saying "I don't have time" a lot? My sister says that whenever I send her a youtube vid that I know will make her laugh. Even if her school quarter is just starting and there is no upcoming quiz/exam, she can't take a minute to watch what I send. She's always rushing and busy it seems.

Her being an ISTJ makes her hardworking and disciplined, but now I wonder if type 3 takes that to another level. I have never seen her stop working to sort out her emotions, which I do admire since I am a 4 and I struggle with that a lot.

But she does procrastinate sometimes. I think because she gets exhausted or the assignment seems too hard/pointless for her. Maybe that is her disintegrating to an unhealthy 9? Where she sort of does a "mini" give-up.Anyways, I hope it can be confirmed somehow.

Oh, one more thing. Would many 3s have more of a "mine is better" attitude when it comes to non-self things like music, movies, etc? I often get a sense that she looks down a lot on things I like.

Reactions: Vincent James 2005

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Ah, so she took the test a while ago and is a 3. She doesn't want to tell me her wing though. She wants it a secret. haha.

I have a feeling it is a 2 though. She kind be very thoughtful and kind-hearted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Revitalizing old thread here.. but @Rhee, your description described me so accurately. I'm actually conflicted between ISTJ/ISTP for my MBTI type but I've consistently tested as type3w2, which is interesting because it's more commonly associated with extroverted types.

I'm extremely resourceful and efficient when doing work, but I will procrastinate until the last possible minute to get anything done. I actually think I procrastinate on purpose, so that I will spend the least amount of time doing something... and I can't do anything without a deadline, usually a deadlines imposed on me externally.

I'm also a strange ISTJ in that I'm not very traditional or rule-bound; not sure if this is a type 3 thing. I think my type 3 tendencies also come out in my diplomatic handling of interpersonal relationships, but I'm internally very very judgey about people, I just don't let them show. I think this is also a 3 thing because we 3s care so much about external validation and what other people think of us, and thus we are constantly judging the people around us.

I'm introverted naturally but can become extroverted when I want to. People sometimes mistype me as an E but deep down I just need a break from all the socializing. I have very few 'real' friends, but a wide range of acquaintances who don't know the true me, only the me I present to the world.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm also not super rule-bound, and tend to keep any judgments I make about people to myself (I like to be polite, and tend to see being critical as a bit of a fault). I'm not sure if I'm really an ISTJ, but it's what I got when I took a cognitive functions test. I also do the procrastination -- I've noticed things tend to take longer, and don't turn out that much better if I do things early, so may as well wait.

(Not very helpful I know...)

But yeah I feel like ISTJ + 3 could lead to a whole "more like guidelines than actual rules thing" :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think reading this thread has definitely made me think i have now typed myself properly. I used to think I was an ESTJ, and thats what i kept testing as. However I think I just kept getting E because I work in retail and I switch on the extrovert for that.

Rhee's description sounds a lot like myself.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Okay, so there is this new thing that I have been learning about where people are finding associations between a person's type and their micro facial expressions and body language.

I have asked people to type Conan O'Brien (cuz I love him and his show!) by his face and one person said he was most likely an ISTJ. I was really surprised. I thought for the longest time that he was an ENFP 3w2.

So tell me ISTJ 3's...would someone ever confuse you as an ENFP?!

Here is the video for those who are interested:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts