Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ISTJ and INFP friendships

Just my two cents but one of my close friends is an INFP and I'm a ISTJ. It is true, we argue about pretty much everything under the sun. One time, we went out with an ENFJ and a IxxJ friend and they literally sat around my INFP friend and I, watching us have a never-ending (still to this day) opposition of beliefs.
Generally, I never get seriously offended or mad when I have debates and see it as a learning process. I don't think my INFP friend feels personally offended either.
I also feel that if my INFP friend was, lets say, my roommate or someone that I had to constantly be around, I would have definite moments of aggravation and hell may break loose.
As of right now, we still have a pretty good relationship and I find it pretty amazing how we still 'accept' each other even though we are basically polar opposites.
Any thoughts on the INFP and ISTJ relationship?
Any personal experiences like mine? (or completely different?)

ps: I am aware that there is an existing INFP and ISTJ thread but that one mainly focuses on intimate/love relationships and I want to create a discussion involving INFP and ISTJ friendships/platonic relationships.
This is also my first thread ever on this forum so I'm hoping it won't just die off....:confused:

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Reactions: thereshegoes

·
Registered
997 Posts
I think it is possible to be friends with anyone as long as you can respect each other for what makes you different.

·
Registered
677 Posts
So... Your friend is INFJ or INFP? :confused:

Either way: I have an ENFJ and an I/ENFP [How can you tell them apart?] friend (both friendships are quite new). I find the ENFJ so sweet, caring and willing to help. He's also always investigating about whatever online which makes him really interesting. :happy: When we're talking about something and we have different points of view, we explain our view to each other and then, one could end up convincing the other or we could agree to disagree. We don't argue. At least, not yet.
The I/ENFP is just so cute, kind and funny. :kitteh: And she has so many interests! She could always put her two cents, no matter the topic. :tongue: Sometimes I think she has so many deep thoughts about everything and I wish I could know them. I just don't know how to do that. :sad: The only time we discussed about something was for religion. I just asked some things and she answered. I still don't find reasons to truly believe and she does. That's all.

I love them both.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
In my experiences, it's been hard to deal closely with anyone that has opposite beliefs and values according to mine. I don't see values as flexible; they are not to be compromised. So it makes sense that I would clash with friends and other people that believe differently. I think that's what you're experiencing here, and there shouldn't be a huge placement on her type.

There have been cases for me when all hell breaks lose as well. Just one dumb example, my roommate and I were walking from school to cross the street to our apartment. She didn't look to check for cars that were coming; she just went ahead to cross the street. We had an intense and really stupid argument over this. I grew up in a town with crazy drivers. No one's going to stop for you! Drivers make mistakes, they don't see everything, and if they do it's too late to slam on that brake. Yeah maybe she grew up in a very safe town with people that would actually look for pedestrians (as pedestrians have the right of the way), but it's just my opinion that you should look both ways before you cross. It's for your own safety. She couldn't yield to my belief and I couldn't give in to hers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts